I am seeking help in designing this Renegade Knight House. this is what i have thus far:

the Knights of House Tartareus are a fearsome lot. Claiming the planet Eris' Fortune as their homeworld, these renegades seek nothing more than bloodshed and conquest. They control 3 neighboring star systems and the planets contained in those systems. Currently allied (and sharing a homeworld) with the World Claimers (a Chapter of Chaos Space Marines devoted to Khorne as well), these knights hate imperials above all other enemies (to the point of allying with said enemies to fight imperials)

2 hours ago, Markell_Thrasher_704 said:

conquest. They control 3 neighboring star systems and the planets contained in those systems.

Do they administrate those words themselves or have other doing it for them?

Do they have fortress-bases for their Knights on all worlds or only one? Or are they nomadic with their Knights spending their inactiv time onboard a spaceship that have all ( more or less) that you need to repair and maintain them?

Names for the Knight-pilots and their kin. Any idé regarding what culture/s and/or systems you plan to use for this? 

Colours.

Heraldic symbol.

How do they show kills.

Do you plan to make them. If so transfers or free hand regarding symbols? If the former, what transfers do you plan to use?

Script. Latin letters, runes (real or just runeifications of Latinletters), Hebrew letters, Korean script, other?

Do their number systems (at least the one show on their Knights) belong to the same culture as their script, or are they different?

5 hours ago, Markell_Thrasher_704 said:

Claiming the planet Eris' Fortune as their homeworld, these renegades seek nothing more than bloodshed and conquest. They control 3 neighboring star systems and the planets contained in those systems. Currently allied (and sharing a homeworld) with the World Claimers (a Chapter of Chaos Space Marines devoted to Khorne as well)

Conquest is supposed to lead to rulership, colonization and assimilation of the conquered peoples. Do these Chaos Knights rule the worlds they conquer?

How do they rule, appoint satraps to serve as their mouthpieces, while they campaign on other worlds? Or do they do so directly, like historical tyrants?

What do they do with conquered worlds? Hold gladiatorial battles in which the conquered peoples are forced to fight and kill each other, to prove their strength and to honor Khorne? Or are the conquered peoples forces to strip mine their own home world to provide the Knights resources with which to repair Knight warsuits and to build new ones? Both, due to a pact between the Knights and the Chaos Space Marines, i.e., after conquest, the Marines get half a planet's populace for use as recruits and as blood sacrifices in the gladiatorial arenas, the Knights get the other half as miners and slave workers?

A easy and quick way to get some inspiration for your House's culture/personality is to take a look at different fractions in other IP:s - like the different houses/nations in Game of Thrones, the clans in Vampire the Masquerade, the warbands in Warcry, the clans in Legend of the Five Rings, the guilds in Ravnica, etc. - and either get inspiration form just reading about them and thinking about how this would be translated to them being a Knight House.

Or pick one that you like and boil down the things you think are interesting with them into three points/sentences, with or without describing what that in practice would mean for a Knight House in 40k. I did that for my post about Imperial Knight Houses during the War of the False Primarch. At least for me the idea is that by pointing down the things that you right then find most interesting/workable about the faction you use as inspiration you create a something that is different from the original. A base that you can continue building on and since you use that as the main base instead of the original inspiration, that makes it easier to not be chackled to the original and feeling a need to nod to everything it has.

For example, if we take Legend of the Five Rings' Dragon clan would I say that my a Knight House summary of them is: Warrior-philosophers and schoolers that cover their bodies with tattoos. Hailing from a mountainous world they are used to fighting in steep terrain, and their Knights are equipped for climbing. Many time unorthodox in their tactics, philosophy and the modifications they do to their Knight-armours.

Three sentences that while at the same time pointing out many of the things associated with the Dragon clan also do not take up some notable other things people that know L5R think of when they think Dragon clan. Notice that I have also not mentioned their naming tradition, the way they decorate their Knights, or show their kills, or similar, making it easy to go a different way then just copying L5R and have more or less everything being Japanese. Instead I could focus on the mountain aspect and give them names and/or symbols from some RL mountain culture, like the Inca or the Tibitans, or I could blend Japanese stuff with e.g. Inca stuff. 

On 1/17/2023 at 7:22 PM, Gamiel said:

Do they administrate those words themselves or have other doing it for them?

Do they have fortress-bases for their Knights on all worlds or only one? Or are they nomadic with their Knights spending their inactiv time onboard a spaceship that have all ( more or less) that you need to repair and maintain them?

Names for the Knight-pilots and their kin. Any idé regarding what culture/s and/or systems you plan to use for this? 

Colours.

Heraldic symbol.

How do they show kills.

Do you plan to make them. If so transfers or free hand regarding symbols? If the former, what transfers do you plan to use?

Script. Latin letters, runes (real or just runeifications of Latinletters), Hebrew letters, Korean script, other?

Do their number systems (at least the one show on their Knights) belong to the same culture as their script, or are they different?

Question #1: the House would probably rule through others, as they're too busy fighting off threats and exploring the surrounding star systems. they would probably have either lower members check on the planets, but otherwise leave the planets be.

Question #2: they would probably have a fort on one world, but otherwise be nomadic.

Question #3: Knight-Pilots would more than likely have 20th century English names, but have the culture of maybe Ancient Greece or Rome.

Question #4: Black & Brass (& Red for the Heraldry).

Question #5: 1695000626_AshkhorheLogo2.png.0d3e2a3afe1ece07b22b0dafef6ccbd8.png

Question #6: Each kill is represented by a red handprint (traditionally done with blood drawn ritually) on the knight.

Question #6: maybe if i amass enough cash... if i do, i would probably have the symbols done by commissioned free hand.

Question #7: latin letters, maybe some runeifications of said letters, but i would probably have them do a lot of metal umlauts.

Question #8: numbers are in roman numerals.

On 1/17/2023 at 9:32 PM, Bjorn Firewalker said:

Conquest is supposed to lead to rulership, colonization and assimilation of the conquered peoples. Do these Chaos Knights rule the worlds they conquer?

How do they rule, appoint satraps to serve as their mouthpieces, while they campaign on other worlds? Or do they do so directly, like historical tyrants?

What do they do with conquered worlds? Hold gladiatorial battles in which the conquered peoples are forced to fight and kill each other, to prove their strength and to honor Khorne? Or are the conquered peoples forces to strip mine their own home world to provide the Knights resources with which to repair Knight warsuits and to build new ones? Both, due to a pact between the Knights and the Chaos Space Marines, i.e., after conquest, the Marines get half a planet's populace for use as recruits and as blood sacrifices in the gladiatorial arenas, the Knights get the other half as miners and slave workers?

They would probably do a mixture of both, but not exactly half and half.

Feels like you are going with a Heavy Metal-ish aesthetic for your knights. Suggest takinga look at playthroughs (or just the cutscenes) of Brütal Legend, and/or album covers and music videos from Metal bands for inspiration, even if I personally would ignore anything music based  - so no instruments, stages or amps on the knights or have that the scions are musicians,  with the exeption of music things other Knight Houses have (like bards providing the entertainment or singing the praises of the knights - so not just make them into a Heavy Metal band house. 

Many of my suggestions bellow are based on my Heavy Metal impression.

On 1/20/2023 at 2:11 AM, Markell_Thrasher_704 said:

Question #4: Black & Brass (& Red for the Heraldry).

Suggest using crome/similar for spikes, chains and/or mechanical parts - nodding toward that those on Metal fan outfits and motorcycles are often crome.

If you plan to have retainers-at-arms do I suggest Orlock gangers as the base, they have fitting mustaches and clothing, maybe kitbahsed with Corpse Grinder cultists, anything that could be leather should be painted as black leather, metal stuff (like weapons and chains) brassed and/or cromed. The House symbol on their backs on on their shirts, or maybe just a big red, stylised T (as in Tartareus)

Question #5: 1695000626_AshkhorheLogo2.png.0d3e2a3afe1ece07b22b0dafef6ccbd8.png

Based on that I think you maybe should take a look at the Corpse Grinder Cult's heads for either your scions and/or retainers-at-arms, or for decorations on the knight. Maybe also take a look at Hedkrakka's mystical Gobby mask and the Wurrgog Prophet's mask.

Question #3: Knight-Pilots would more than likely have 20th century English names, 

Suggest giving umulats to at leaste one letter in each name to make them more their own thing

but have the culture of maybe Ancient Greece or Rome.

Can you expand on this?

I'm all for it (specially if you go with my Metal suggestions, I like the idea of aesthetics inspiered from one thing and culture mainly inpsiered from another thing), just want to know if you had any more ideas beside the basic "Ancient Greece or Rome inspiered".

If you want inspiration do I suggest taking a look at childrens books about Ancient Greece and Rome, they are short in their presentation and usually take up stuff about daily life. 

Also, is Tartareus Khorne-sworn or just allied with CSM that are?

On 1/25/2023 at 6:20 AM, Gamiel said:

Can you expand on this?

I'm all for it (specially if you go with my Metal suggestions, I like the idea of aesthetics inspiered from one thing and culture mainly inpsiered from another thing), just want to know if you had any more ideas beside the basic "Ancient Greece or Rome inspiered".

If you want inspiration do I suggest taking a look at childrens books about Ancient Greece and Rome, they are short in their presentation and usually take up stuff about daily life. 

as for ideas (I really drew a blank while I was typing up my last response), i was thinking mostly Roman (because I know more about it than most cultures), but I also came up with the idea that they are more like a feudal version of Rome.

On 1/25/2023 at 6:20 AM, Gamiel said:

Also, is Tartareus Khorne-sworn or just allied with CSM that are?

Khorne-sworn. I'm thinking that the CSM are a renegade chapter that followed them into heresy.