Pyre pistols.

15 hours ago, KnightofSigismund said:

Even against marines and votann? Can you explain how it’s been better than the heavy bolt pistol? I appreciate it. 

So, I run primaris crusader squads with 2x pyreblaster and pyre pistol. They are intended to do midrange objective control and fire support, while heavier hitters go after the main parts of an enemy army.

Because they're generally holding back, the prospect of doing overwatch to counter enemy assault infantry is big, especially if im dealing with something like orks or tyranids. In this instance, every overwatch nets me 3d6 auto hits. The s3 is a -15% chance to wound against t4-5. This is offset by any d6 auto hit roll other than a 1, and you come out ahead on 3+.

AP is the same for both.

Armor doesn't matter for this comparison since both weapons are pistol and ap -1.

Basically comes down to you have -15% chance to wound, but up to 6x the hits to roll it on. Plus, it has guaranteed hits in overwatch, while a heavy bolt pistol only has a 15% chance to hit in the first place.

With the 'all the free stuff' move from GW, was actually thinking about a combat squaded 10 man unit of Sword Brethren.  Have 1 unit with 4 Pyre, 1 Plasma Pistol and Power Swords, other unit with the claws and thunder hammers.