Howdy

Das Hound

Morning all,

New to the forum and thought a quick introduction post was apt. Followed 40K for a number of years but never made a concerted effort to collect an army which I'm hoping to change this year! 

Have a number of Primaris models to build and trying to decide between Ultramarines (love Guilliman) and Raptors (whole ethos of the chapter appeals). A question to maybe assist in my decision would be - are firstborn models slowly going to disappear? I ask as I'd like to include a few Land Speeders in a Raptors army. 

Look forward to contributing to discussions on the forum.

Mikey

Welcome to the B&C! We all look forward to your participation and seeing how you enjoy the hobby.

As for the firstborn question, it doesn't appear that those units are going away any time soon. You should be safe using them.

Welcome to the forum!

The choice of which chapter to collect is a difficult one. It's best to go after the one you like best. The benefit of collection an established chapter like the Ultramarines, Dark Angels, etc is that they receive more support in terms of unique models, as well as novels and stories cantered around them. 

As for "Firstborn" models, no one really knows what GW are planning. The truth is that they will sell them for as long as people keep buying, most likely. My advice here would be to stick to the newer Primaris kits unless there is something you really love the look of and want to add to your collection. The truth is that there is quite a disparity in size between the new and old Marines, and some of the older kits don't hold up particularly well. 

Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated!

Think I'm settled on Ultramarines - love the Roman theme, Guilliman is probably my favourite primarch and have just finished listening to First Heretic, Know no Fear and about to finish Betrayer. They also seem to provide a bit of flexibility in playstyle which I'm after.

1 hour ago, Das Hound said:

Think I'm settled on Ultramarines - love the Roman theme, Guilliman is probably my favourite primarch and have just finished listening to First Heretic, Know no Fear and about to finish Betrayer. They also seem to provide a bit of flexibility in playstyle which I'm after.

Ahh, you're making your way through some Black Library novels.

I strongly recommend the Dark Imperium trilogy. It's a great story that begins during the period immediately after the Horus Heresy, and ends at the most current point in the 40k timeline.

Worth taking the time to enjoy the 3 books as they tell a complete story with some fascinating implications. 

5 hours ago, Das Hound said:

You’re reading some great books - why haven’t they made you want to come and play Age of Darkness? You can have all the firstborn and land speeders you like!