LA: Blood Angels Encarmine Fury

Valkyrion

Does this rule allow Blood Angels to wound things on 6+ that their weapons couldn't normally wound? 

Instead of saying 'add 1 to To Wound rolls', it says 'require one lower result To Wound than they would normally'.

If you consider 'compare S to T' as a sort of invisible step in the attack sequence then S4 cannot wound T8, therefore you are unable to make a To Wound roll, therefore you cannot require 'one lower result to wound than normal'.  This is how I see it.

A friend of mine is going the other way and saying that one lower result than nothing must be 6 when using 6 sided dice as the tool to determine if something is successful or not, and if you look at the To Wound chart then one lower than '-' is '6+'. 

How would you interact Encarmine Fury (require one lower result to Wound than normal) with Salamanders Blood of Fire (reduce the result of that roll to wound by -1) when attacking with a Blade of Perdition? A net 0 difference?

I am kind of forced to agree, reluctantly. The rule is clear on page 170: "a value of "-" indicates that the target cannot be wounded by the attack". Since you cannot wound the model, there is no dice you can roll and thus do not trigger Encarmine Fury.

That said, once you bump your STR by +1, you're now not only able to damage T8 but instead of rolling a 6 to wound, you wound on 5s. So not terrible but you're definitely fishing for +1 str weapons on more of your units.

Chain and/or regular bayonets anyone?

Edited by Spagunk

On 1/21/2023 at 6:50 AM, bushman101 said:

If the To Wound chart listed needing a 7 to wound, I'd agree letting bonuses to drop it to 6 or less would work.

But p170 of the rule book says that '-' (dash) can not be wounded by the attack

This basically. One less than impossible to wound is still impossible, and that's what a dash is. Your friend is imagining that the dash represents the numberal 7 or something, it's maybe better to have them think of it as infinity, so they'll need to roll an infinit on a 6 sided dice to wound. Yea, you get the +1 but it won't help. 

As above, if it said 7+ to wound, then bonus would help, but it doesn't - so "your weapons are useless".