Summoners - Truescale Astartes

Doghouse

This is going to be a purely painting project for the most part as everything is 3d printed although a lot has been modified in some way before printing. I'm keeping this separate from my Necromunda project mainly because it's a different game system and far more about conventional converting and sculpting. I will be jumping back and forth between the two as my whims change but for now I just want to crack on with some painting to be honest.

The Summoners were a chapter I came up with just over twelve years ago using conversions of the Black Reach snap fix marines. Sadly the pictures were lost with the demise of Tiny Pic that were hosting the vast majority of my pictures but I did sort of manage to salvage a couple of really bad pictures of the Captain and a Vindicator.

summoner.png.7160f09f80369417a63c7fb40f8e6a1d.png529022935_summonertank.png.a24a23deeefee1c89c4fca6adac9b171.png

Not great but better than nothing. Technology has advanced considerably over the last decade which has changed a lot in the way that truescale models are being made. But for me this has meant I can finally capture my own personal vision of I see the Astartes. It also means that I can do so much more than I could back when I started, so stuff like vehicles are no longer a massive chore to produce. Also anything can be constructed before hand on my computer and printed as one piece.

So this little force will probably be set at the time of the Age of Apostasy, being devout followers of the Imperial faith unlike so many other chapters they would join the likes of the Black Templars and Fire Hawks in combating the forces of Goge Vandire. Although their deeds were on a much smaller scale and so were lost to the march of time. The reason for this is mostly because I prefer 40k purely as a sandbox rather than a progressing storyline and there are ten thousand years to explore which to me is far more appealing. I may set it in another millenia if something more interesting peaks my interest or the planned vehicles were not around at that time but for now it's mostly painting.

I'm keeping the force quite small, mainly because it's going to make things a bit quicker but also because I like the idea of there not being many Astartes and I like the idea of small patrols over entire companies showing up on the battlefield. It's possible I could make them part of a Rogue Trader retinue or maybe just a force assigned to a Chapter Keep on some distant planet.

As a result I am initially only painting twelve, so in game terms two squads of five with a centurion and a captain. The plan will be in terms of lore that they will be a single tactical squad lead by veterans or low level officers represented by the latter two character models. 

P1010678.JPG.2203447c1421287cdd8627c314fe57f5.JPG

The other aspect I am working on is that I want a self contained feel to the detachment as though they are fairly self sufficient so as a result both units will be mechanised. I may add a third unit to get it to battalion strength but to be honest I want to keep the numbers low. At the moment I have based them all in Magmadroth Flame contrast paint and I am going over this again with Troll Slayer Orange.

One other aspect I am keep to represent is a Dreadnought so they will be receiving support in the form of this big guy.

P1010680.JPG.2a129b26633dc06008dd752e00df01e2.JPG

I've tried to keep things as accurately scaled as I personally see them. There are lots of Forge World descriptions which I have drawn heavily on along with some 4th edition codex artwork and a little from 3rd to create what I see as a credibly scaled force over museum quality accuracy for a fictitious setting.  

Now the basecoat is in place I am starting to paint the Astartes properly and will be tackling each one by one. The poses are quite similar for a lot of the models but that is personal preference on my part and I will be tweaking the paint schemes for each to include heraldry and honours as I progress. Expect some Rogue Trader references.

This picture shows the scale I am going for which falls roughly in line with a lot of images I have seen.

image.jpeg.0cb40900ee10587275464644d9a3e7a9.jpegimage.jpeg.8f7d0a5971dfdb4f8409782a0805d810.jpeg

Edited by Doghouse

When you have to absolutely kill every Heretic in the room...

image.jpeg.69af569944ab03438090d0ee62a61e8f.jpeg

So this is my version of a truescale Razorback. I did a lot of research into the GW dimensions mentioned by Forge World books and images from the 4th edition codex and then played around with the dimensions a bit. I've scaled it mostly under two criteria of firstly marines being about to get in and out of the doors comfortably and secondly as a Rhino hull be able to credibly hold ten Astartes. The one thing I do like about this scale is that it really does feel like an off world colonial STL vehicle. It feels big enough for the early human explorers to be driving around on alien worlds in a large self contained life sustaining vehicle but also big enough to house Astartes.

As far as I can scale it the Razorback can house three marines sat down either side of the hull and a gunner and driver, the Rhino is three down either side and four stood in the centre. The are diagrams somewhere of the seating arrangement of the Rhino from an Imperial Armour book.

P1010686.JPG.b52f748e1ad9f9d99a58931f8c25a71e.JPG

Unfortunately where I am a bit inexperienced with printing the rear section of the tank has some issues, as do the other Razorback and Rhino I have printed. I think it's because I printed the hull as one piece and it put a strain on the FEP sheet. The turret is a second edition one that I found but I have noticed after priming that the ammo feed on the assault cannons didn't form properly so I will have to go back and green stuff that. I think it's something to do with the angle of the print. I will clean up the damaged hull sections as best as I can but really want to just crack on with painting asap. This is more of a personal project rather than anything that will see the light of day on a table top so I am allowing myself artistic license.

P1010687.JPG.4a6b4273f4d808cbc80312efcfdf897d.JPG

P1010688.thumb.JPG.b28ff622599b75c9e5ee9f94edebc65e.JPGP1010690.thumb.JPG.49e258978861215fa643d998daa5964d.JPG

I'm of an age on this forum to remember this chapter's originals as well. That Razorback's size is amazing when put to scale with the Beaky and Guardsman! :woot:

And such wonderful orange too as Razblood said, truly an army not to Tango with...

(BTW, I still chuckle over one of your older projects with Large McHuge and Brother Toiletbrush in times of idle thought... :laugh:)

Cambrius

Grotsmasha: Thanks, it's nice to be working on them again to be honest. :laugh:

Razblood: Thanks mate, great to see you again. :thumbsup:

Brother Cambrius: Thanks, it's a surprisingly long time since I did any of these guys. I've dabbled here and there but this little project will be a nice way to revamp them. Ah yes the Cosmic Space Knights (...of Doom), it has been tempting to bring them back and their wacky adventures now that we have Primaris and I can do a lot more with printed parts. Maybe one day they will return. :laugh: 

Things have been very hectic of late and I've not had much free time other than to browse on here once or twice a day but I wanted to show some progress has been made. 

The Summoners are recruited from a world beneath a world. Their home planet was devastated by wars long before they were rediscovered by the Explorator fleets of the Imperium forcing the survivors into the service tunnels and sewers that ran beneath to escape the ravages of the surface world. As generations passed, living in almost total darkness their society devolved into vicious feral creatures that barely retained any humanity. The first landing parties of the expedition of Rogue Trader Davinus Groge were met with heavily and brutal attacks from small groups of what were first thought to be some previously unknown form of xenos strain. As bodies were recovered and examined by accompanying members of the Adeptus Mechanicus it was soon discovered that these creatures were in fact a long lost tribe of man.

It is believed that they numbered in their billions although exact figures were difficult to ascertain due to the sheer scale of the burrows that had been carved out over thousands of years with primate tools. The life expectancy of these humans was mercifully short, further research would determine that most would not make it past the age of seventeen. This would be to a number of environmental and cultural factors rather than disease because of the surprisingly hardy nature of both their immune systems and their genetic make up. Although scrawny and emaciated in appearance they proved to be impressively resilient and eventually would prove to be excellent recruits for the fledgling Summoners Chapter decades later.

Scouts

The scouts of the Summoners are drawn from the feral population, having to undergo far more extensive hypnotherapy and cognitive gene therapy than most aspirants of other Chapters due to their utterly feral nature. Surviving in small packs or tribes these feral humans are almost devoid of any humanity  being little more than beasts they have proven a much higher rate of acceptance of organ implantation providing the Chapter with an unusually high success rate with new recruits. 

The Scouts will remain with original members of their pack all the way through their training. This will continue throughout their lives within the Chapter as they will be placed together in units forming extremely strong bonds between them. These groups always number five, should one of their number fall their skull will be carried into battle by one of their brothers. An honourable death will see the skull placed on the top of their backpack to watch over and inspire their surviving brothers. Should a brother suffer a dishonourable death then his skull will be carried on the belt, the Astartes that carries him is called a Penitent and it is their solemn duty to perform exemplary acts in battle in order to redeem their fallen brother so that it may be placed on high. It's not uncommon to see lone survivors carrying four skulls into battle often progress later into the ranks of the Chaplains. In some cases the lone survivor will paint a skull on his face plate to show that once all four former members of his squad sit upon his backpack that he seeks an honourable death in battle so they may all be finally laid to rest in the Chapter reliquaries. As the original packs take casualties they will often be merged into squads to replace casualties taken.

So these guys are a kit bash of parts assembled on my computer before printing in one piece with the exception of the heads which are from the Black Templars. I feel these fit well as the chapter is a religious force that believes in the godhood of the Emperor so they can atone for their sins of their feral origins.

The legs and arms are modified versions of the SpaceNam jungle fighters, the torso is a modification of some Neophytes I found and the hands and bolter are from the same kit as the Astartes. I've scaled them a little smaller but at a size were they would fit in the power armour, the sergeant will be a Neophyte like his brothers but he has been given the responsibility of leading them in battle.

Because the faces are pretty much the same head (easily explained by Chapter genetics from a lore point of view) I have posed each individually which is something that is lost on the power armoured Astartes as I want them to feel more coherent in movement as they become more disaplined as they progress through the ranks. I like the idea of aspects of training and hypnotherapy resulting in them all moving and fighting in the same style as opposed to the Scouts who still have a long way to go yet.  

image.jpeg.8893a1ce3a0594af607bd71f6a26a9d0.jpegimage.jpeg.ff927944eb2de75bfd7e48c749481156.jpeg

On 1/27/2023 at 6:04 AM, Doghouse said:

Grotsmasha: Thanks, it's nice to be working on them again to be honest. :laugh:

Razblood: Thanks mate, great to see you again. :thumbsup:

Brother Cambrius: Thanks, it's a surprisingly long time since I did any of these guys. I've dabbled here and there but this little project will be a nice way to revamp them. Ah yes the Cosmic Space Knights (...of Doom), it has been tempting to bring them back and their wacky adventures now that we have Primaris and I can do a lot more with printed parts. Maybe one day they will return. :laugh: 

Things have been very hectic of late and I've not had much free time other than to browse on here once or twice a day but I wanted to show some progress has been made. 

The Summoners are recruited from a world beneath a world. Their home planet was devastated by wars long before they were rediscovered by the Explorator fleets of the Imperium forcing the survivors into the service tunnels and sewers that ran beneath to escape the ravages of the surface world. As generations passed, living in almost total darkness their society devolved into vicious feral creatures that barely retained any humanity. The first landing parties of the expedition of Rogue Trader Davinus Groge were met with heavily and brutal attacks from small groups of what were first thought to be some previously unknown form of xenos strain. As bodies were recovered and examined by accompanying members of the Adeptus Mechanicus it was soon discovered that these creatures were in fact a long lost tribe of man.

It is believed that they numbered in their billions although exact figures were difficult to ascertain due to the sheer scale of the burrows that had been carved out over thousands of years with primate tools. The life expectancy of these humans was mercifully short, further research would determine that most would not make it past the age of seventeen. This would be to a number of environmental and cultural factors rather than disease because of the surprisingly hardy nature of both their immune systems and their genetic make up. Although scrawny and emaciated in appearance they proved to be impressively resilient and eventually would prove to be excellent recruits for the fledgling Summoners Chapter decades later.

Scouts

The scouts of the Summoners are drawn from the feral population, having to undergo far more extensive hypnotherapy and cognitive gene therapy than most aspirants of other Chapters due to their utterly feral nature. Surviving in small packs or tribes these feral humans are almost devoid of any humanity  being little more than beasts they have proven a much higher rate of acceptance of organ implantation providing the Chapter with an unusually high success rate with new recruits. 

The Scouts will remain with original members of their pack all the way through their training. This will continue throughout their lives within the Chapter as they will be placed together in units forming extremely strong bonds between them. These groups always number five, should one of their number fall their skull will be carried into battle by one of their brothers. An honourable death will see the skull placed on the top of their backpack to watch over and inspire their surviving brothers. Should a brother suffer a dishonourable death then his skull will be carried on the belt, the Astartes that carries him is called a Penitent and it is their solemn duty to perform exemplary acts in battle in order to redeem their fallen brother so that it may be placed on high. It's not uncommon to see lone survivors carrying four skulls into battle often progress later into the ranks of the Chaplains. In some cases the lone survivor will paint a skull on his face plate to show that once all four former members of his squad sit upon his backpack that he seeks an honourable death in battle so they may all be finally laid to rest in the Chapter reliquaries. As the original packs take casualties they will often be merged into squads to replace casualties taken.

So these guys are a kit bash of parts assembled on my computer before printing in one piece with the exception of the heads which are from the Black Templars. I feel these fit well as the chapter is a religious force that believes in the godhood of the Emperor so they can atone for their sins of their feral origins.

The legs and arms are modified versions of the SpaceNam jungle fighters, the torso is a modification of some Neophytes I found and the hands and bolter are from the same kit as the Astartes. I've scaled them a little smaller but at a size were they would fit in the power armour, the sergeant will be a Neophyte like his brothers but he has been given the responsibility of leading them in battle.

Because the faces are pretty much the same head (easily explained by Chapter genetics from a lore point of view) I have posed each individually which is something that is lost on the power armoured Astartes as I want them to feel more coherent in movement as they become more disaplined as they progress through the ranks. I like the idea of aspects of training and hypnotherapy resulting in them all moving and fighting in the same style as opposed to the Scouts who still have a long way to go yet.  

image.jpeg.8893a1ce3a0594af607bd71f6a26a9d0.jpegimage.jpeg.ff927944eb2de75bfd7e48c749481156.jpeg

Very impressive modeling skills, and great attention to detail. Proportions are on point. I'm enjoying following this thread. 

• 2 weeks later...

I too remember the orange guys ;) By the way, do you remember the old Horus Heresy forum (before the Heresy was mainstream)?  I don't remember the name of the forum. Does it still exist? I think the first time I have noticed your work was on that HH forum.

Great Stuff as always. The Rhino is amazing. As are the scouts. I really enjoy your process. Can't wait for an update:happy:

Warden-Paints: Thanks, I have a bit of an unhealthy obsession with proportions and scaling and thanks very much for the compliment. :biggrin:

Batu: Hello mate, always nice to see you in one of my threads. :thumbsup: It was the Great Crusade forums, I think it died off a long time ago maybe not long after Laurie started working for GW before becoming a BL author. I used to post on there, Warseer, mostly on B&C but I think most of the refugees from that forum settled here a long time ago. Made me go a bit nostalgic for the glory days of forums such as the Ammobunker, WIP and so many, many more I used to frequent. B&C always has been my first home though to be honest.

I've not been able to get much done on these lately because real life has been insanely demanding but I will be posting more soon. I have a solid plan for them and working on them in small units is working very well so far. I have these guys, my Necromunda thread and my small Ogryn army I'm working on as well but these guys are a bit of a passion project for me. I want to try and make each feel individual but part of the whole at the same time and have some fun ideas for that.