Arks of Omen list building & tactics

15 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

I think if you want to do the MoN auto wound thing you need to go 10x with as many high shot weapons as you can. Chaincannon for sure. Most auto wound tactics require volume of fire to actually work. 

I was looking at running a 10 man unit all boltguns, balefire acolyte for prescience, missile launcher(frag) and the reaper chaincannon... but then, is it best to go MoT for the ap bonus now with AoC gone?

Decent amount of shots in total for chaff killing, possibly the acolyte is too much just to run it that lil bit cheaper too.

Thats a different discussion on whether MoT for the ap or MoN for auto wounding is better. One is fishing for 6s and thats it while the other is normal buffing/shooting.

Regardless of which you prefer I still think units of 10 is the play over MSU.

Edited by Malakithe

I have come back around to MoT as you’re correct that you need the big squads to fish for 6s with MoN, while the permanent additional AP is really good with AoC gone. The only downside will be armies that don’t care about the that first point of AP such as salamanders, iron warriors, votann and deamons. But elsewhere it’ll be great for kicking marines in the open to 4+ or denying the benefit of cover.

I suppose again the balance point will be the cost of the squad vs its return, although they get the free weapons the mark and acolyte will add 35pts to the unit so 215pts for 10 legionaries. that still has the power armour problem, especially if if gets the attention of something like a gladiator reaper that’s only 150 for a lot shots good at grinding marines down.

perhaps put them in strategic reserve to walk on in rapid fire range in a later turn and unleash hell.

Honestly I know Iron Father was into large MoT legioniarie squads from the get go. I tried it, but I still preferred Chainswords + MoS to protect my Iron Warrior back lines aggressively.

But I've shifted to even mid-small squads getting MoT. With a psychic cast these guys are awfully difficult to get rid of some times with a 4++. I stood up to a Genestealer charge that I'm positive would have wrecked my unit otherwise. I don't have a lot of these squads, but I really think it's worth testing out.

Wierdly NL seem to have some of the best DP. Khorne with talon of the stygian count, scourging chains and killing furry. 

9+d3 attacks and str 11, -4 save, D2 no fnp attacks with exploding 6's 

Or you could swap the wl trait for hatred incarnate and just have 10 attacks at str 12 with full rerolls to hit. 

Absolutely... I love that combo. Back when the codex came out I thought the NL might have one of the best use case scenarios for the DP. I nearly shelved my IW project to do them because of the combo's they can pull off and the DP is a natural fit.

Well my game on Friday was a bit of a disaster, I didn’t really get a chance to test anything as I’ve never rolled so many 1 and 2s for so long my entire army managed to kill just a single flamer of tzeentch with my turn one shooting and turn two rolled very few wounds which the deamons happily saved as they don’t care about ap. I conceded turn 3 as I I was getting torn apart still and rolling so bad even my opponent commented on it.

my one take away is that when the new deamon Prince comes out I’m going to run him as nurgle with the deamon weapon as auto wounding on a hit is very useful against units with wound caps and wound debuff. 

also I miss ap with having played against deamons a lot recently when the entire army has an unmodifiable save against shooting it’s especially fun with the high toughness ones or belakor with his T7,  -1 to hit, wound and damage. Especially when flamers are hosing marines down with ap2 shots.

hopefully that’s my bad luck for the month used up. I think next week I’m going to run my iron hands for a comparison.