What close-combat unit to get?

Ulfast

Hello everyone. I have started to build an admech army and so far I got plenty of shooting units. But I would like to get at least one close-combat unit. but what to chose? We got dragoons (take lot of place, easy to see for the enemy and cost much $£), we got priest (big chance of mortal wounds but only 5+ save with T3, 1W), a unit of ruststalkers (also mortal wounds, get skitarii buffs) and finally close-combat robots. What is your to go unit? I´m leaning to priest or ruststalkers but I don´t know. 

I think the most popular is currently Ruststalkers but that's a bit of a fad. For more of the model's existence the rules for them have been pretty dismal. I'd just pick what you like most and try to make them work. If you go for Fisto Bots try to put in the extra effort to magnetise them, they are pretty flexible now that you can give them mixed loadouts.

I don't have any experience actually winning games with my Admech so my advice is more from a collector's point of view rather than a competent player.

I'm a fan of Kastelan fist robots, that's 5 attacks each at STR 10 with 3 damage a pop plus incendine flamers for chaff clearing.

Electro priests can do some serious work. Getting there is the hard part.

Infiltrators are awesome, against low tough low save models. They can struggle a bit against higher T and save models but at least they get a swarm of attacks and a strat to make them pull extra hits on 5s and 6s. They also get the infiltrate ability and a special rule that doesn't allow rerolls to hit or wound to models within 12 inches.

I don't have any experience with Ruststalkers or Dragoons but both can put in work is my understanding. I was always interested in Dragoons quite honestly but haven't got the time or money or patience to try and get a huge unit of them rolling.

I don't have any experience with the Sulfphyr hounds or the Pteraxi yet, I do have some of those kits and plan on building them up (Pteraxi, I'll use the cavalry instead of the Sulphyr hounds). Also, Pteraxi have the strat that gives a chance of canceling out a fall back move from units they're in hand-to-hand with.

As far as forge world I think they look neat but would miss out on buffs/strats that the other units can bring.

Edited by brother_b

Rust-stalkers and Infiltrators are excellent value. I use 8 stalkers and a 5 infiltrators pretty much every game.

Robots are also lots of fun.

Haven't tried dragoons, and only tried the shooty Priests, which were good enough but I'd generally go for others first.

Sulphurhounds are pretty decent, but not strictly speaking an assault unit. I usually bring them on from Reserve to burninate something on a flank and then they die, but it's usually a good enough trade.

I took a jump yesterday and bought two packs of ruststalkers. I allready got 5 infiltrators but want a more pure CC-unit and when I got to the store, they only got ruststalkers instead of priest. So ruststalkers it became :) But I´m happy with them. Will get some robots later. First I need tp paint them and then get a transport..

I should get some Ruststalkers sometime. I have a squad of 10 Infiltrators but I do slightly prefer the appearance of Ruststalkers. I settled for Infiltrators because I liked the lore of them debilitating enemies with brain static. I also like Electro Priests loads though so it's a tough call.