JasoX

Loyalist / Drop pod assault

HQ

Legion Praetor - Artificer armour, Banestrike, Paragon blade, shield  ( With veterans )

Praetor Cataphractii - Paragon blade, grenade harness, Wolf of Luna ( Retinue and rides in Kharybdis )

Retinue - 10 x Justaerin terminators ( 2 carsoran, 2 power fist, 2 chainfist, 2 lightning claws, 1 Carsoran/Multi melta, 1 Legion standard/Power Maul

ELITE

Contemptor - Melta cannon, Fist with graviton , Dreadnought Drop pod

Apothecarion - Artificer armout, power weapon ( With veterans )

Veteran Squad - Sergeant + Artificer, banestrike, Thunder hammer, 1 Meltagun/power weapon, 4 banestrike/power weapon + Drop Pod

TROOPS

10 x Recon squad - Fist, Shotguns, Dread Claw

5 x Recon squad - Nemesis, Dread Claw

10 x Tac squad - Sergeant, artificer+fist, drop pod

HEAVY

Kharybdis

Note: updated list, another option would be to drop recons and replace them with 2 more similar tactical squads. That would free up points in maybe javelins, or drop apo and add one more squad in elite. thoughts?

Edited by JasoX

I love drop pod lists and the fact you are going infantry-heavy (plus the javelins) and not maxing out on dreadnoughts is cool.

Any special reason for going Loyalist?

Loken doesn’t really go with Justaerin in the fluff (or in rules because he’s not in terminator armour) so would he go with Reavers? Obviously you need someone with Master of the Legion, but maybe you felt Loken more interesting and seen less often than Abaddon?

I like shotguns but do you need all 10 to get Concussive? Could mix in some chainswords?

What’s the plan if that “biggest threat” is a Primarch with bodyguard in Spartan (or is that just old hat these days)?

On 1/28/2023 at 2:36 PM, LameBeard said:

I love drop pod lists and the fact you are going infantry-heavy (plus the javelins) and not maxing out on dreadnoughts is cool.

I tried to proxy this list today, and im thinking of going even more infantry heavy. 6 x 10 tac squads, arti+fist for sergeant and drop pod

Any special reason for going Loyalist?

Everything is painted as Luna Wolves, no other reason

Loken doesn’t really go with Justaerin in the fluff (or in rules because he’s not in terminator armour) so would he go with Reavers? Obviously you need someone with Master of the Legion, but maybe you felt Loken more interesting and seen less often than Abaddon?

Yeah, Loken went with reavers and Cata preator with justaerin. I think way to go is without named characters. Loken is definantely more intresting than Abaddon.

I like shotguns but do you need all 10 to get Concussive? Could mix in some chainswords?

These actually were pretty good, maybe i just take 4 x tac squads and 2 x recon squads

What’s the plan if that “biggest threat” is a Primarch with bodyguard in Spartan (or is that just old hat these days)?

Going to mix up justaerin weapon loadout to include some fists. Modified list soon up.

45 minutes ago, LameBeard said:

The fact this is Luna Wolves is extra cool points.

Thanks, always loved luna wolves from the first time i got my hands on those fist novels from HH. Updated list btw

31 minutes ago, Hfran Morkai said:

May I ask why Dreadclaws for the Reavers and Support squad?

Is it to give some mobility once on the board?

Because sadly no assault vehicle for Dreadclaws and units MUST disembark on arrival.

Just because i got 2 dreadclaws, i thought about that and changed list a bit. Any thoughts?

As I understand it a Dark Angel drop assault list won the LVO, so it's a viable approach.

I don't know if tactical marines are the best option. An enemy with lots of transports will be able to hide in them and you don't have very much to hit them with. Someone who does have a lot of infantry is likely to have auspex scanners dotted around the place, which (if they aren't pinned) will allow them to shoot you on arrival. They'll actually get to use fury of the legion and you won't, which is problematic.

I think the best things to drop in are therefore pretty tough units, preferably with a lot of shooting - since you mostly won't be assaulting. I think that things like dreadnoughts and tactical support squads might be the way to go, but I'm really not sure. 

I would like to know what was in the DA drop list.

Pros: Its iconic and is an excellent theme

A very fun theme, I am doing one for the hell of it in 40k because I like painful paint schemes that look cool. 

Cons:

You still have the problem unless your group home rules it to counting either all Interceptor as a reaction or limiting reactions to one shooting reaction per player turn, you will get gunned down upon landing.

Assuming the above doesnt ruin your day.

You have very little in the way of AT upon landing. Anyone who is even remotely mechanized is going to devastate you simply because you cant do anything to his armored boxes.

--Fix: drop a tactical squad and the recons, add in a Tac support squad or two with meltas. Drop/drill lists are about the only place I would recommend them.

--Or bring vets with a large number of combi meltas and melee weapons, expensive but dual use.

**can you take two Praetors? I thought you were limited to one in a force org. 

I find tactical support squads very difficult to justify in any situation. They're just so crazily expensive. A melta squad ends up costing more than a lascannon squad even before you buy them a drop pod, but they are just so, so much worse! And unfortunately this makes the whole premise of a drop pod list difficult to justify. I'm not saying there isn't an answer (the LVO demonstrates that there is) but I'm sure tactical support squads aren't it.

I think that the answer is to go for a Legion that will give you good shooting out of the pods, from the special units you get. For example, 10 Salamander Pyroclasts are only 30 points more than 10 tactical support guys with melta guns. They've got 2 wounds, 2+ saves, melta bombs and 3 attacks each in melee instead of 1. I think the DA drop list had a couple of squads of Interemptors. They're also cheaper than melta squads and just as tough, but much better in melee. I'm sure there are other examples.

I think the LVO list also had the Lion. Thinking about it, one of the advantages of a drop list is probably that you can throw a Primarch into melee in turn one, using a Kharibdys. The Lion is extremely powerful so you've got a good combination of powerful Primarch and very powerful shooting in support when they land.

The problem is the OP isnt bringing DA or Sallies. I dont think SoH have an equivalent type option to pyroclasts or Interemptors. I think the TSS are a good but obviously expensive option, unless there is some way I dont know of to have an HSS squad with melti-meltas not snap shoot when they land. 

Conversely I suppose you can skip the anti-armor shooting from troopers entirely and drop dreadnoughts and leviathans geared up for AT fire. A mortis contemptor with paired melti-meltas and Levi with paired melta lances will wreak havoc with enemy armor. Then fill out your other pods with termies and troopers geared for anti-infantry