Original Mark Gibbons artwork for sale

grailkeeper

A 1992 Mark Gibbons picture of a screamer killer has gone on sale on EBay. Mark Gibbons said on Facebook that he is not the one selling  it but has confirmed it is authentic. The link is here. Currently almost 3 grand! Bit much for me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185753165583?fbclid=IwAR3bcjF0h4SyTLVnh_HD-K1auA07gamRLX0zybHENC7_M6CKeECfZt_H5Cw

2 minutes ago, Mogger351 said:

I might be an idiot but if its signed and dated 9.94, how is it a 1992 drawing?

I think saw the same question asked in the Facebook Post where I saw this first  but it seems to have disappeared. I don't know.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid022bNao5UV32AcpYfc1XJj9C1oEzGhct2xryZgHW3VsDtAfGwJGr9fFiXhZRCzR7Qxl&id=100036847526069

Maybe the original owner met Mark Gibbons at an event a couple years after acquiring the artwork? Maybe the limited prints languished in a warehouse for some time before they got around to having the artist sign and date them?

Funny that the post would have disappeared though, if there were a legitimate discrepancy between the production date and when it was signed. Buyer beware, of course.

Cool art piece, though!

14 hours ago, Dudley Nightshade said:

Maybe the original owner met Mark Gibbons at an event a couple years after acquiring the artwork? Maybe the limited prints languished in a warehouse for some time before they got around to having the artist sign and date them?

Funny that the post would have disappeared though, if there were a legitimate discrepancy between the production date and when it was signed. Buyer beware, of course.

Cool art piece, though!

If the artist says it’s legit, why would it be buyer beware?

13 hours ago, Harleqvin said:

If the artist says it’s legit, why would it be buyer beware?

Because that's just generally good practice when buying from eBay ...?

Something about it isn't adding up to the poster I was quoting, and while Mark Gibbons purportedly confirming the authenticity on his Facebook page is compelling, if I were splashing out thousands of dollars for it, I would want that question answered too.

What’s wrong with the postage options? It’s an odd sized (for the post), delicate package, presumably with a glass frame. Not cheap.

Second class for budget postage, 24hr for speedy delivery.

That’s twice you’ve mentioned postage, and I’m not entirely sure why. Would you rather he folded the £4000 artwork nicely into an A5 envelope, stuck a first class stamp on it and dropped it into the post box on the corner?

18 minutes ago, Sky Potato said:

What’s wrong with the postage options? It’s an odd sized (for the post), delicate package, presumably with a glass frame. Not cheap.

Second class for budget postage, 24hr for speedy delivery.

That’s twice you’ve mentioned postage, and I’m not entirely sure why. Would you rather he folded the £4000 artwork nicely into an A5 envelope, stuck a first class stamp on it and dropped it into the post box on the corner?

My problem is simple...

Not even special delivery 1pm covered that value...

Thats my problem  :)

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 17-32-34 Step 2 - Service - Royal Mail Click & Drop Send an item - Click. Save. We Collect.png

The whole buyer beware thing still just gets me.

the artist says he personally knows him, vouches for him, and confirms the guy is legit, and you’re still saying you have wonderings.

I highly doubt Mark Gibbons is in on a scam, dealing with his own artwork.

the ramifications of him doing as such would be catastrophic to his business.

2 hours ago, Brother Captain Arkley said:

My problem is simple...

Not even special delivery 1pm covered that value...

Thats my problem  :)

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 17-32-34 Step 2 - Service - Royal Mail Click & Drop Send an item - Click. Save. We Collect.png

Except, of course, that only gives you £2,500 of insurance. The artwork is at £4850 at time of writing - so you’d be willing to have your 5 grand art mailed to you effectively uninsured? I’ve had to deal with Royal Mail and their claims dept before, they’ll try and weasel out of the whole insurance claim if it’s knowingly under-insured.

And packaging materials aren’t free either. I’d say they don’t grow on trees but we’re not here for terrible dad jokes. Would you prefer a second hand Amazon sleeve or eBay Jiffy bag, or some proper packaging in order to make sure the glass in the frame doesn’t break and rip into the art during transit? Or that the packaging won’t get wet and soak through? Or accumulate mould during transit?

In all seriousness, if this was a box of Intercessors, I’d completely agree with you. On the other hand, I’d drive and collect anything from eBay worth over a grand or so - or I’d accept that expensive items need to be correctly packaged, posted and insured. I wouldn’t get a carbon fibre road bike mailed to me, or a guitar, or even a laptop.

For a piece of art, I’d make a day trip of it, chat to the seller who clearly shares an interest.

But that’s just me. £20 on top of £5000 doesn’t warrant this much arguing in all honesty.

1 minute ago, Sky Potato said:

Except, of course, that only gives you £2,500 of insurance. The artwork is at £4850 at time of writing - so you’d be willing to have your 5 grand art mailed to you effectively uninsured? I’ve had to deal with Royal Mail and their claims dept before, they’ll try and weasel out of the whole insurance claim if it’s knowingly under-insured.

And packaging materials aren’t free either. I’d say they don’t grow on trees but we’re not here for terrible dad jokes. Would you prefer a second hand Amazon sleeve or eBay Jiffy bag, or some proper packaging in order to make sure the glass in the frame doesn’t break and rip into the art during transit? Or that the packaging won’t get wet and soak through? Or accumulate mould during transit?

In all seriousness, if this was a box of Intercessors, I’d completely agree with you. On the other hand, I’d drive and collect anything from eBay worth over a grand or so - or I’d accept that expensive items need to be correctly packaged, posted and insured. I wouldn’t get a carbon fibre road bike mailed to me, or a guitar, or even a laptop.

For a piece of art, I’d make a day trip of it, chat to the seller who clearly shares an interest.

But that’s just me. £20 on top of £5000 doesn’t warrant this much arguing in all honesty.

Yeah unfortuantely I have dealt with RM claims... This year to be exact, thankfully I had all the evidence etc so no weasels this time but I do get you.

For that amount I would want the item fully insured. Nothing the seller offers postage wise does that... And that was my issue. SD is the best Royal Mail offer (£2500). So my point was purely the services the seller offered.

It would have to be a special courier for that value alone.

As you say if you were buying it you would make the trip to collect, and I 100% agree I would do the same and have done for a pair of KEF speakers.

So...

tl/dr His services do not cover the value of his item, Simple.