Delegatus vs Praetor

WolfLogic
Go to solution Solved by Diabolist Jonathan,

I'll explain why I posted this thread first then tell you what I'm looking to be answered. 

In my opinion the Delegatus is a more cost effective way to get access to RoW and they're more fluffy than bringing a Praetor to every game (particularly smaller games). My reasoning is that I seem to encounter a lot of ID causing weapons and losing a Delegatus over losing a Praetor means I'm out less points. 

What I'd like answered is what you think of my reasoning, when you'd take one vs the other, and if you think there should be a FAQ change to make the Praetor more viable if you agree with me.

• Solution

I consider the delegatus in general to be a superior commander compared to praetor, especially so thanks to the "rally the legion" ability a delegatus has. Also, i agree with you that it is a lot more fluffy to bring a delegatus to small engagements, because praetors are supposed to be extremely high ranking officers in a legion. Praetor is mostly a lead by example commander who goes to the front line and bunches the enemy personally, while I consider the delegatus consul being more of a support commander who just unlocks the legion resources for your force in the form of rites of war with the master of the legion rule.

Yea delegatusnis just better. Rally the legion is incredible on top of being cheaper than the Praetor.

The value you get from beatsticky melee characters is way lower this edition in general, and that's really the only thing the Praetor has going for him. But when he can't hold a candle to a contemptor, lost attacks, the paragon blade's value got worse, and is undermined by his initiative for wound allocation, you lose that appeal. 

Agreed on the Delegatus. I'd been planning to have a Praetor with raven's talons lead a unit of dark furies, but realised he doesn't actually add much and increases the cost of the unit by more than 50%. Much better to have a Delegatus skulking around the back somewhere, especially since he'll likely be taking "the hidden hand" warlord trait. There's nothing very hidden about flying around with a jet back tearing people's faces off.

Generally speaking, I find myself wanting to save points on characters and buy more stuff instead, unless those characters bring something really special to the table. So things like heralds and librarians are great but for killing stuff a squad or dreadnought is pretty much always better.