magnetizing the big bugs

logan_grimnar18

recently picked up a exocrine/haruspex kit and a tervigon/tyranofex kit and was wondering if anyone had tips on how to magnetize them to allow use of both version? or a link to instructions?

Also, been having trouble getting my flyrant wings to stay put and not swing around the magnets I out in the sockets. any suggestions?

Thanks!

The exocrine/haruspex is one of the easier kits to magnetise. The arms are just the standard approach of drilling out the socket, gluing in magnets, then cutting off the ball joint on the arms and sticking magnets to them.

The heads can be attached with a single magnet each. Drill in a 5mm magnet at the point where the two halves of the body carapace meet with the 'neck plate'. This matches up with the top of the haruspex heads neck, and just above the base of the exocrines cannon. The exocrine's head will require something to attach the magnet to, as it's hollow. You can either use a blob of milliput/greenstuff like I did, or you can just glue a bit of sprue in there.

Here's a picture so you can see where I placed the magnets.

WCQymam.jpg

The tervigon/tyrannofex is slightly more complex, but not by much. Mainly just because it features two handed guns which means to have to take slightly more care to make them line up.

You'll have to leave the tyrannofexes body spines off in order for the tervigon's gaunt sack to fit. The trick to magnetising the sack is that it grips quite tightly to the detailing on the body, so as long as the two halves of it are together you don't actually need to magnetise them directly to the body. You just magnetise the two halves of the sack to each other. It might help to elevate the models front legs just slightly by a half centimeter or so to make it easier to add or remove the sack. Just stand it on a small rock.

The head, tervigon melee arms, and tyrannofex fleshborer hive are straightforward.

The acid spray's supporting arm grips the body quite tightly and connects underneath the gun, so as long as you do a good job of magnetising that then it holds the gun arm up and stops it sliding down.

The rupture cannon is pretty much guaranteed to swivel down slightly. It's very long and heavy. However fortunately it doesn't matter much as GW was nice enough to place a spike on the underside of the end of the barrel which is only barely above the surface of the table. Meaning it can only swivel down a short distance before it touches the table, so it looks fine.

Flyrant wings usually require a bit more support than you get from magnets alone. I added a pin to mine to help support them.

Here you can see the pin I drilled into the wing, along with the hole it fits into in the body. Sure it means there's a tiny hole in the body when I'm not using the wings, but it's not easy to see.

3AyxnOZ.jpg

rggayGy.jpg

Super responses there ^^ Don't really have much more to add. 

I'd say with the Tervigon, make sure to magnetise the head also as the gun arms cant be removed if the head is glued in due to the big chin horn - I had to rip the head off mine after I finished it for this reason. 

I used this tutorial for the Haruspex/Exocrine, however I just used the haruspex arms, even on the exocrine, as they have no impact on the game anyway.