Nulls cure the curse apparently (spoilers)

Spoiler warning for penitent. I am on my phone and don’t know how to use the spoiler function from mobile.

+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+

Spoiler

so in some catacombs bequin finds a crucified skeleton ‘well over 2 meters tall’ with wings. In the chamber she finds an old red helm with IX on it.

later she meets an angel with dark hair, it attacks her and her companion, she manages to turn her limiter off and that saves them. Then they’re beset by a tribe that lives in the catacombs, the massive angel attacks, kills and drinks the blood of the tribesmen. Before he finish beta turns off her cuff again, and the angel comes to his senses, and says his thirst and rage have been quieted. He knows only his name, and that he was bred to obey.

but any way, it seems a blank can cure the thirst, and possibly the black rage, at least temporarily, as if to simply reset the blood angel. His amnesia may be a result of being lost to the flaw for so long.

anyway, not done with the book yet so maybe I’ll find out he’s not really a blood angel.

Edited by Jolemai
Added spoiler

Spoiler added for you

It's the little "eye" on the toolbar when you bring up the reply box. Either click it and type inside the spoiler box, or type out what you want, highlight it, and click the eye on the toolbar. Just takes some getting used to :thumbsup:

I don't think either of them are normal examples of their kind, by quite a long shot, so it's worth bearing that in mind.

Spoiler

It seems likely, given that blanks are rare and the BA keep the flaw a secret as much as possible, that nobody has ever tried exposing one who's in the grip of it to, say, a Sister of Silence. It's possible that the effect was never observed before Bequin met Comus. There's also no indication that he was suffering from the black rage as opposed to being severely afflicted with the red thirst. The presence of a null might not do anything for the death company.
But, since most blanks can't receive psychic communications even with a limiting device, and most Blood Angels don't have wings, it's safe to say they're both edge cases. Maybe their interaction is unique.

2 hours ago, Urauloth said:

I don't think either of them are normal examples of their kind, by quite a long shot, so it's worth bearing that in mind.

Hide contents

It seems likely, given that blanks are rare and the BA keep the flaw a secret as much as possible, that nobody has ever tried exposing one who's in the grip of it to, say, a Sister of Silence. It's possible that the effect was never observed before Bequin met Comus. There's also no indication that he was suffering from the black rage as opposed to being severely afflicted with the red thirst. The presence of a null might not do anything for the death company.
But, since most blanks can't receive psychic communications even with a limiting device, and most Blood Angels don't have wings, it's safe to say they're both edge cases. Maybe their interaction is unique.

Still working my way through, but I’m getting a feeling the conditions he was imprisoned in may have caused the wings to grow.

even if it turns out to be the norm, I feel like amnesia is a fair trade off, forcing the marine to retrain and be reindoctrinated.

so it’s still a tragedy if a veteran or officer falls, there’s the loss of all that previous knowledge, experience and expertise, and likely even their personality, much like how mephiston’s personality completely changed from calistarius.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

1 hour ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Still working my way through, but I’m getting a feeling the conditions he was imprisoned in may have caused the wings to grow.

The Red Thirst causes physical mutations, and I guess depending on the conditions you mentioned it could spur that on. And since those that fall to the rage also ultimately would fall to the thirst. That could contribute.

1 hour ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

I feel like amnesia is a fair trade off, forcing the marine to retrain and be reindoctrinated.

That brings up something else that I think is a point in favor to the blanks. Since the Rage is a psychic imprinting, something that blocks psychic influence could certainly help at least while the influence is blocked. 

And you are 100 percent correct about amnesia being a great trade off. They can literally eat their training back (Amit, for instance, knew how to flawlessly operate a crane he had never even seen, from muscle memory, just from eating a sliver of brain matter from a dead soldier. 

This actually brings up an interesting idea for a homebrew chapter.

At some point they came across something similar, and decided as a chapter to recruit from blanks for a squad or something (just as an experiment, after all finding the cure is a top priority), and so they have a squad or Blank Marines to see if they can use that as a means of a cure.

Or maybe they would recruit enough blanks to make Chaplains and Sanguinary Priests. So then if you homebrew rules you can have special Chaplains.

Edited by Arkangilos
Misread Amnesia point

3 hours ago, Sothalor said:

Geneseed does not take to Pariahs, per Forge World's Horus Heresy: Inferno.

Interesting! I haven't read Inferno yet, so I wasn't aware there was a canon source for this. I assumed Astartes blanks were impossible, though, because of the omophagea and also because we'd surely have heard of one if they existed (they'd be extremely powerful weapons against daemons, for one thing)

Does the black book mention how they found this out? Was there a deliberate attempt to create null Astartes at some point, or was it a tragic accident?

7 hours ago, Urauloth said:

Interesting! I haven't read Inferno yet, so I wasn't aware there was a canon source for this. I assumed Astartes blanks were impossible, though, because of the omophagea and also because we'd surely have heard of one if they existed (they'd be extremely powerful weapons against daemons, for one thing)

Does the black book mention how they found this out? Was there a deliberate attempt to create null Astartes at some point, or was it a tragic accident?

They do all kinds of stuff with pariahs, trying to turn them into astartes was probably just one ad-mech trial.

As the Primarchs were all warp-beings, to one extent or another, their geneseed also would have an element of warpiness to it. I'd read it somewhere but can't describe better than that, but it goes to some length to explain the weird psychic/emotional connection to the primarch, and in the BA the psychic backlash Sanguinius undergoes when large numbers of his sons are killed at once. 

6 hours ago, aa.logan said:

Awful thread title. What book is being spoiled? Is the title itself not something of a spoiler?

Thank you.

I thought I was the only lost one in here.

Please adapt the title to clarify what story is being discussed here to prevent eventual spoilers for others.

5 hours ago, Arkangilos said:

Mephiston overcame it, so there is certainly something that can be done!

Most reply “yeah but he’s only so special because he did it!” Lol

2 hours ago, Kelborn said:

Thank you.

I thought I was the only lost one in here.

Please adapt the title to clarify what story is being discussed here to prevent eventual spoilers for others.

Blame the mod who removed the topic from its proper place in the BA sub

7 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Most reply “yeah but he’s only so special because he did it!” Lol

I mean my reply to them would be it can be both. The codex itself talks about how it gives hope. Same as Lemartes. 

He is special because he was cured. That doesn’t mean that what happened can’t also find a way to anyone else.

7 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Blame the mod who removed the topic from its proper place in the BA sub

I would be careful with this. Better to pm the mod and see about moving it back.

Edited by Arkangilos

I wouldn’t really take anything from this book away as hard proof of anything…The book is in first person and she’s says at the start of the series she might well be lying about everything! She also as a character doesn’t really understand much of what’s going on herself if if she is feeling the truth 

Spoiler

Now on to Comus Nocturnus…We can safety infer he’s a creation of the Yellow King that has either escaped or is used as some form of guardian over the entrance to the City of Dust pocket dimension as we see many of his kind in stasis in the City of Dust later in the book, so he’s definitely not some Blood Angel that’s been captured and sprouted wings 

By my understanding to he’s not lost to the rage either but rather in the throws of the thirst as he encounters Beta in the Catacombs, what he does say though is the Curses are lessened when she’s around, which at makes total sense as the rage is a Psychic echo of Sanguinius’s death. So having a blank around I can completely see why it would help ease the curse! It definitely doesn’t cure both though 

10 hours ago, WARMASTER_ said:

I wouldn’t really take anything from this book away as hard proof of anything…The book is in first person and she’s says at the start of the series she might well be lying about everything! She also as a character doesn’t really understand much of what’s going on herself if if she is feeling the truth 

Hide contents

Now on to Comus Nocturnus…We can safety infer he’s a creation of the Yellow King that has either escaped or is used as some form of guardian over the entrance to the City of Dust pocket dimension as we see many of his kind in stasis in the City of Dust later in the book, so he’s definitely not some Blood Angel that’s been captured and sprouted wings 

By my understanding to he’s not lost to the rage either but rather in the throws of the thirst as he encounters Beta in the Catacombs, what he does say though is the Curses are lessened when she’s around, which at makes total sense as the rage is a Psychic echo of Sanguinius’s death. So having a blank around I can completely see why it would help ease the curse! It definitely doesn’t cure both though 

Spoiler

I mean he could be a heresy era BA since a pure creation of the yellow king wouldn’t explain the 9th legion helmet being in the church cavern.

@Inquisitor_Lensoven This is a spoiler for the end of the book for you, so be warned probably don’t read this until you’re done 

Spoiler

He’s a genetic creation of the yellow king, as we see lots of exactly he kind [with wings] in stasis pods at the City of Dust, it’s also not surprising he can create space marines as if it is true and he’s Constantine Valdor he was there when they were created at the Emperors right hand