Can you make a Land Raider Proteus from the Spartan kit?

Go to solution Solved by Bat33.1,

I built a Land Raider Proteus from the Proteus/Explorator box and I have some extra Explorator bits leftover. I also have a full Spartan set unbuilt. Do I have all the pieces necessary to build an Explorator? Can you build a Proteus from the Spartan set? 

The proteus uses the same chassis sprue as the spartan, just without the middle bits. I think if there isn't anything unique that you still need, then you'd be able to do it, but I think you'll be missing a couple bits. Can't be sure without checking in detail though.

You can't build a proteus from the Spartan kit directly, as the proteus does have an extra sprue with certain bits on it.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

The Spartan hull is wider than the Land Raider hull.  Im sure it would be possible to combine the two with some cutting and kitbashing, but it wont be a simple glue together job. Tho you have made me consider it now as im in the same position with spare parts/kits.  Post up if you do it :thumbsup:

I think that basically the track and sponson sprues are the same and the rest is different. You can make a proteus out of a spartan but it's going to require a fair amount of hacking and chopping up the various parts. The sidepanels of the tracks, the assault ramp and the rest of the hull itself are all different iirc. it would be a bit easier since you won't need to use the assault ramp but can probably relatively easily slot in the explorer from part but I reckon it's still a safe bet to stock up on plasticard :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

The B sprue for the front and rear of the side chassis is shared with the proteus, along with the generic crew and hatches sprue, tracks and lower hull plate and rear engine/exhausts sprue, and the weapons sprue as it has both las cannon options but after that you are going to struggle.

As others have pointed out the Spartan is wider but it uses the same hull floor with extension pieces that glue in either side, but all the top plates and the ramp will not fit without major surgery as they are sized for the full width of the Spartan. You would ideally need the Land raider specific sprue that has the ramp, explorator front plate and top plates.