Legion of the Damned, sculpting and other modelling shenanigans. +General Project Stuff

Hello everyone, I'm kicking myself that I should of made a post a while back to show my progress on what I'm making but never mind, I'll post projects I'm working on here now. To begin is a Legion of the Damned force with an Inquisitorial Investigation team I've been working on for a couple of weeks.

In this Lotd project I have sculpted, push cast and converted up minis to fit in with the (2008-2009?) style damned models, I'm not a massive fan of the everything on fire damned that people do just not my cup of tea, I have listed below things that are included or going to be included I am still thinking of what else to put in the force and I am open to suggestions, I will probably add an overwhelmed unit of marines converted up to look battered and be the reason for damned being there. I'm not adhering to any game rules for this force this is just to make an awesome looking army.  

The Models so far:

- 1 Sgt Centurius, 1 Standard Bearer, 3 legionnaires 
- 3 Sgts, 16 Legionnaires 
- 1 Dreadnought
- 5 Terminators
- 12 Storm Troopers

Models to come:
Inquisitor Kyria Draxus - To be converted
Inquisitorial Rhino - Plus Forgeworld parts Reinforced armour, Inq hatch/rear ramp and green stuff Inq doors and front
Legionnaires - more standard marines to convert or something not sure yet. 

LOTD WIP 1.jpg

Damned Terms1.jpg

Damned Dread1.jpg

Stormtroopers1.jpg

Edited by ItsJustGamble

Right in the nostalgia! I can feel the weight of those models in my memory, particularly the Dread.

Very nicely done. Particularly like the swap around of the weapons on the terminators to mix up the 'handedness' 

Nice/subtle use of a bit of plasticard for Centrius to give him a bit more height too.

+1 looking forward to seeing them painted

Great stuff. I am particularly with the GS work and the GS storm bolters bring back memories of my attempts to make cheap weapons. Once again - great vintage stuff. I can't wait to see them painted.

Your minis make me feel a bit nostalgic, too. They remind me of simpler and, subjectively speaking, better times when 40k was less than it is now.

Nice to see another LotD player around these parts. Sculpting looks mint and I cant wait till you paint Centurious, not long painted mine and still need to finish another for my Word Bearers. 

To save time with sculpting flaming skulls I got some of these from greenstuff world. Could make your workload a little easier if you make any without helmets. 

50x Burning Resin Skulls https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/skulls/595-50x-resin-burning-skulls-fire-skulls.html

I think a Deimos pattern Rhino would look nice after you have worked your magic. Maybe a cheeky little Fire Hawk reference somewhere on one of your minis as well. 

Thanks guys.

@lhg033 - Haha the dread is crazy heavy and yeah added some plasticard to raise him slightly though since that photo I have now rebased him on to a 32mm base still with the plasticard.

@Brother Christopher - Yeah had to push cast some extras up I could only find one in the bits box, as the terminators were chaos ones they came with twin bolters which didn't look right.

@Slave to Darkness - I will hopefully get stuff painted soonTM and slightly Jealous that you got two Sgt C haha. I'm not sure about the fire heads, not really the style I'm going for, basically all the guys will have helmets on or damaged helmets exposing skull. When it comes to adding vehicles to the Damned force my thinking on it is that its a bit odd for ethereal beings who can appear out the blue to have things like rhinos, though still trying to think of what other vehicles fit.

--- 

So tonight I've been finishing up the Inquisition rhino front and started work on the doors, will show door pic when a bit more is done.

Inq rhino front.jpg

Edited by ItsJustGamble

I thought the LotD using vehicles was weird but they did use them back in the 2nd ed WD army list so its kinda cannon. As for Centurius keep looking on ebay, I got both of mine cheap. ish...  £40 each

Got hold of the parts for the Inquisitorial rhino, using an old rhino I had I started putting this together, I'm also still working on one of the side doors. My plan is to add like a camera/sensor array on the rhino on an elevating arm or something as the Inquisitor is trying to gather evidence on the legion, so will have to make or print something to fit.

A few more things came also like the inquisitor but will post pics of her when she's a bit further along.

Inq Rhino.jpg

Edited by ItsJustGamble

Spent tonight basing most of the army with Vallejo texture paint with added stones and sand to give it a slight bit more texture. 

Second photo of "Inquisitor Darius" - Until I find something that tells me they shouldn't be, I'm just going off this (third photo) from White Dwarf 224 not sure if this is from a book or just made up for the WD but if anyone knows feel free to tell me more info and which ever book expands on this. 

Inquisitor still needs a bit of cleaning up and I may sculpt something on to the powerfist trying to decide what maybe an aquila.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Things to come: 

FW multi melta razorback turret for the rhino
FW rhino dozerblade

Multi melta equipped damned devastor squad                       

And one I'm looking forward to working on is a Storm Watch Sgt who is working with the inquisitor (The Chapter from the Inquisitor Martyr game)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

lotd army based.jpg

PXL_20230218_005433710.jpg

inq darius passage.jpg

Edited by ItsJustGamble
Added things I forgot to mention.