Holding the Center

I'm resigning myself to Oaths of Moment being one of our best secondaries, and am deciding how I want to camp the center of the table. So far I've got:

- Infiltrators

- 20 Primaris Crusaders with Grimaldus and/or Apothecary

- Armored units like a Leviathan or Repulsor

Any experience or other ideas would be appreciated. I'm trying to stay as fluffy as possible while meeting the objective.

19 hours ago, BLACK BLΠFLY said:

The 20 man PCS with Grimaldus buffing them is the best choice I have found… they just setup camp there.

Man.  You are a risky one.  :D 20 PCS are ultra hard to fit reliably in a 6" circle at the center of the board.

If you are committed to taking and holding the centre then you need something that is both tanky and hard-hitting because some armies will simply try and throw sledge-hammer units at you to try and drive you off. Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield Terminators supported by an Apothecary are about as tough as you are going to find but also have enough of a counter-punch to threaten anything that your opponent tries to send in to shift them in melee

If we still had Armour of Contempt, I would say that the Assault Cents could be worth it. But currently I think the 1+/4++ and extra wounds of the Terminators has the edge. The Assault Cents shooting is short ranged. I would prefer the sheer durability of Terminators and get my shooting elsewhere.

I've played a few games with 10-20 crusaders and support holding the center. It can work, but 2cp a turn on transhuman adds up, the points cost is high, and id rather be aggressive with that big of a chunk.

Same generally goes for terminators. Those guys are usually bringing the pain to the enemy DZ.

Picked up a leviathan I'm going to run up the middle with a techmarine to heal. Hopefully inbuilt 2+ and DR1 will justify the price point, and it looks cool.

If that doesn't work I'll go back to crusaders with grimaldus. 

15 hours ago, Blade of Sigismund said:

I've played a few games with 10-20 crusaders and support holding the center. It can work, but 2cp a turn on transhuman adds up, the points cost is high, and id rather be aggressive with that big of a chunk.

Same generally goes for terminators. Those guys are usually bringing the pain to the enemy DZ.

Picked up a leviathan I'm going to run up the middle with a techmarine to heal. Hopefully inbuilt 2+ and DR1 will justify the price point, and it looks cool.

If that doesn't work I'll go back to crusaders with grimaldus. 

Leviathan is an interesting choice, but isn't it pretty close to a Redemptor?  

2 hours ago, templargdt said:

Leviathan is an interesting choice, but isn't it pretty close to a Redemptor?  

More wounds, 2+ save, and some decent guns. 2+ is big because the main idea is to tank.

I missed that he's not core, so obsec via warlord traits is off the table.

Not near codex, does strength of Conviction work on non-core?