Salamanders Skin

Valkyrion
Go to solution Solved by Jareddm,

• Solution

Sarabando is correct.

This variant gene-seed, however, also has some unusual outward effects, the first of which, noticeable even in the first Terran members of the XVIIIth's intake, was a much remarked 'ember-like' bioluminescence to their eyes and a tendency for skin pigmentation to permanently darken in response to prolonged exposure to high levels of potentially harmful radiation as part of the biological defence mechanism, often adopting an unnatural granite-like or obsidian quality with sufficient exposure.

This combination of effects, coupled with their Legiones Astartes might, makes for a particularly frightening appearance for the Legion's rank and file. This alone has earned them fear and an almost superstitious apprehension on first contact by other humans, as
"devils from the dark" for example, as they were named by the Proximal Scaver-tribes whose rebellion they were called on to quell early in the Great Crusade. It is worthy of note, in fact, that Nocturne, being a world where extremes of temperate and highly unusual radiological phenomena were present, served to further bring out this physiological reaction in Terran Legionaries stationed there and freshly in-taken native initiates alike, transforming them. - HH2: Massacre page 117

14 hours ago, Petitioner's City said:

That's also interesting for non-nocturnian recruits - there must be a variety of skin tones in the legion, dependent on their radiation exposure.

Although I tend to picture/paint salamanders much more like their third edition iteration, but glad that is ok too :) 

You would be correct pre-Vulkan.  However, Vulkan brought the entire legion to Nocturne when he was first found and I believe the legion's training facilities afterwards were still on Nocturne, meaning the whole legion got their radiation exposure maxed out.

10 minutes ago, Jareddm said:

You would be correct pre-Vulkan.  However, Vulkan brought the entire legion to Nocturne when he was first found and I believe the legion's training facilities afterwards were still on Nocturne, meaning the whole legion got their radiation exposure maxed out.

But I think the heresy has told us repeatedly not everything happens in black and white, and there are many other strange flexible occurrences :)

On 2/11/2023 at 7:00 AM, Petitioner's City said:

That's also interesting for non-nocturnian recruits - there must be a variety of skin tones in the legion, dependent on their radiation exposure.

Although I tend to picture/paint salamanders much more like their third edition iteration, but glad that is ok too :) 

i had planned on having an albino Sallie in my recon company as a scout who simply hasnt made it to nocturne in his entire career

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Noserenda said:

Yeah thats for regular dark skin tones, to go fully black with red eyes you need Nocturne.

HH2: Massacre notes that even some members of their earliest Terran intake had "ember-like bioluminescence" in their eyes. The Terran intake also displayed a tendency towards developing a "granite-like or obsidian quality" to their skin "in response to prolonged exposure to high levels of potentially harmful radiation." P.117 under "The Devils in the Dark."

So to develop the skin tone they just need to have fought some rogue Mechanicum using irad engines or assaulted a ship's reactor or something. They can have glowing eyes regardless.

I suspect that might be a more over reactive organ in those individuals, otherwise it would have been all of them involved in those kinda of actions, radiation being notoriously indiscriminate, especially in weapon form!