The new Daemon Prince. Trying to place him in an army

Prot

So hopefully a simple question: Between the Iron Warriors and Black Legion, where do you think a Daemon Prince fits in best?  I'm trying to make a case for focusing on my IW or BL and I just put this new DP together and he played well in both matches, but felt maybe a bit better suited for BL?

So what do you think he's best suited for? Any thoughts?

Go with your gut, if you feel like he was a little better with BL then go for that., I think he fits in either really well, so it comes down to just personal feeling or choice in the matter.

Purely from a fluff POV, a DP feels more Black Legion-ish to me. For IWs I would probably go for a Lord Discordant as he is similarly hard-hitting but fits the warped-techno vibes of the Iron Warriors better. This is purely thematic though.

I agree with the previous posts, a DP is more fluffy in a BL list, but I am going to paint the new Dp in IW colours when I get my hand hands on it. I was hoping that techy daemon, Vashtorr, would be in a smaller size, but it seems it will stand on a 100mm base and be closer to a greater daemon, otherwise he would have been perfect for an IW DP.

Cpt.Danjou

While I agree that BL is the better option, don't forget that our seminal Iron Warriors novel Storm of Iron features an IW lord gaining Princedom; even in the lore, an IW DP isn't unheard of.

I said this recently in another thread, but if you're short on CP then a Khorne Prince with sword and zero WLT/relaxation is still a pretty self-sufficient beatstick.  If you have the CP, taking the Nurgle deamon weapon isn't a terrible idea as someone stated above.

I don’t think there is any ”rule” that makes a daemon prince any more or less likely for any existing legion, other than in the minds of players. 

There is infinite potential and variation within the traitor legions, let alone among them.

All to say: if you want him for IW, do that. It is not a contradiction of background narrative to do so. Same goes for BL.

If we’re talking rules, I don’t bother looking outside of Word Bearers in the codex so can’t help ya there.

Edited by Khornestar

On 2/10/2023 at 5:45 PM, SanguinaryGuardsman said:

Seems like a no brainer to put him in BL with MoN and the daemon weapon that bypasses everything.  BL need a mobile beatstick because abaddon cannot be everywhere at once.  I feel like IW should be leaning into the disco lord.  

On 2/10/2023 at 7:43 PM, Iron Father Ferrum said:

While I agree that BL is the better option, don't forget that our seminal Iron Warriors novel Storm of Iron features an IW lord gaining Princedom; even in the lore, an IW DP isn't unheard of.

I said this recently in another thread, but if you're short on CP then a Khorne Prince with sword and zero WLT/relaxation is still a pretty self-sufficient beatstick.  If you have the CP, taking the Nurgle deamon weapon isn't a terrible idea as someone stated above.

There's some really good points here, and I guess at the end of the day it's not really about the 'fluff' since there is precedent and reasoning behind having a DP in either legion.  (I can't believe I forgot about the D.P. in Storm of Iron. My favourite book by McNeil even to this day.)

The reason I like the DP in the Black Legion is exactly as others said: Just to have coverage as Abe can't be everywhere. 

However I find scoring with my Iron Warriors quite a bit more difficult and even though the rules and traits may point towards shooting, I really think there's a case for having a beatstick pushing forward. (Lately I've been playing Rise to Glory as a secondary as well... so it would help.) But as mentioned the Disco Lord is a great choice.

I also agree that the DP is a great choice even without Relics or WT, and I don't think the Disco Lord has the same luxury.

The Disco lord hasn't been 'active' in my Iron Warrior list for probably the last 15 games.  It's been pure support, Apostle, Warpsmith, and MoP. (The Apostle got dumped for the D.P. very recently.)

I realized during this conversation here that I've traditionally been very aggressive with my BL characters, and tried to get them in the action quickly, and actively scoring. Meanwhile I realized I do the opposite with my IW. I try to preserve the points for shooting and aggressive Daemonic engines, or helbrutes, etc, and the characters are primarily support. This might be the reason I have so much trouble scoring with IW. I wonder what would happen if I completely flipped that for the IW and went extremely aggressive. (In the back of my mind I'm hoping Vashtorr let's me do that. ;) )

But for now I'm still painting Black Legion and it just feels ridiculous at this point duplicating my purchases and the painting is slow. I think I gotta plop the DP in a list an army and just go with it. (Though I do wish we knew more about Vashtor, I'm sure he'd work better with one or the other playstyle, and his buffs to daemon engines could be a huge factor for either army.) Time to decide!!!