Mono-tzeentch tournament report

Closet Skeleton

Got a dispatch notice on my plastic Lord of Change a few days before the list submission deadline so rush painted it so I could take a pure tzeentch list to my next tournament. Proxied in a generic daemon prince and a tzaangor shaman to make up the rest of the points.

== Arks of Omen detachment == Chaos Daemons, Tzeencth [2000 points, 98 power] -4 CP,
-1 cp warlord -1cp relic -2cp relics of the impossible fortress

HQ1: Lord of Change (310) master mutator (35) baleful sword (0) [17 PL] [345 pts]

Warlord: Tyrant of the Warp Relic soul eater stave

Powers: Bolt of change, Infernal Gateway, Treason of Tzeentch, Smite

HQ2: Fluxmaster (115) Staff of Change (5) [6 PL] [120 pts]

Powers: Infernal Flames, Gaze of Fate, smite

HQ3: Daemon Prince (140) wings (35) hellforged sword (10) [7 power] [185 pts]

relic: warpfire blade

Powers: Infernal Gateway, Gaze of Fate Smite

HQ (bonus slot): Fateskimmer (150) Staff of Change (5) Retinue of horrors (5) [7 PL] [160 pts]

relic: impossible robe

Powers: Infernal Flames, Boon of Change, Smite

TR1: Pink Horrors (140) [PL 7] [140 pts]

TR2: Pink Horrors (140) [PL 7] [140 pts]

TR3: Pink Horrors (140) [PL 7] [140 pts]

EL1: 1 Pyrocaster 4 Flamers (125) [6 PL] [125 pts]

EL2: 1 Pyrocaster 3 Flamers (100) [6 PL] [100 pts]

EL C1: Exalted Flamer (75) [4 PL] [75 pts]

FA1: 6 Screamers (150) [8 PL] [150 pts]

FA2: 3 Screamers (150) [4 PL] [75 pts]

HS1: Burning Chariot (120) horror infestation (5) [6 PL] [125 pts]

HS2: Burning Chariot (120) [6 PL] [120 pts]

Game 1: Defeated knights with 1 big meltacannon knight, 3 twin autocannon armigers, 1 FW armiger and 3 meltacannon armigers. Probably some more armigers.

I lost most of my army killing all but the big knight and 2 armigers, won with 100 points thanks to not having any deployment zone objectives restricting despoil.

Game 2: Got crushed by Grey Knights with 30 Fast attack knights, cheesy mortal wound librarian and 4 Dreadnights.

Game 3: Did a lot better against Blood Angels successors with even more jump infantry but still lost.

Game 4: Leagues of Votann with two units of bikes, 2 buggies and 2 big tanks. Ended up with 100 point win in spite of losing my Lord of Change on turn 2. Big tanks don't like having to shoot into combat against a Chariot herald and that saved a lot of my army from being shot. Killed everything except the second big tank.

Game 5: 80+ point win vs emperor's children brought down by nourished by overkilling cultists limiting my ability to rack up the nourished by terror secondary. Managed to kill Lucius with infernal gateway+master mutator combo along with all but 3 of the terminators before they could kill anything but the 6 screamers I wasted against them on turn 1 and the chariot herald I had rushed forwards to protect the other stuff I was rushing to the center. Denying delightful agonies was a necessity there.  With Lucius no longer there my Daemon prince killed the remaining terminators in spite of having to hit on 4+. Managed to lose my Lord of Change to the opposing daemon prince (a nice conversion from Age of Sigmar dryad character) who survived most of my army on 2 wounds thanks to finally getting a succesful delightful agonies. Lost all my characters and chariots but was still able to table the remaining marines leaving a single spawn behind with my horrors and flamers.

Game 6: Ynarri with two units of shroudrunners, 3 shining spears, 1 unit of harlequin players and a bunch more melee aspect warriors, rangers, pyskers, Yncarne, 3 d-cannon batteries.

Did really well on turn 1, killing the striking scorpions who turn 1 charged a flaming chariot and my lord of change, nuked the bikes, tied up the harlequins and banshees with screamers and horrors. Killed the banshees with mortal wound on death strat and mortal wound vs fallback strats and a failed morale test on the exarch. Turn 2 the Yncarne killed the lord of change and the d cannons killed my prince. My whole army then failed to kill the yncarne with shooting and I was crushed scoring less than 30 points.

Finished in the upper 3rd of players. The other tzeentch daemon player with a more optimised list (less horrors, no greater daemon, same prince and relic combo) came 2nd.

A better list would have ditched the disc herald for a third burning chariot and re-arranged some of the powers.

Congrats on being in the upper 3rd... such heady heights :cool:.

And thanks for the short but concise Bat reps,  Ouch on the 4x dread Knights :confused:... And lamentations on the Turn 2 Down turn against the Eldar... how many more turns did it go B4 you realised it wasn't going to happen!?!..

Glad daemons can do well on the Tourney scene :thumbsup: but I guess player skill/competence is always good, I Do think no matter skill level, That Some Match ups sometimes throw a curve ball into the mix... you rock up to a table and sometimes you can pretty much tell if it's not going to go your way...at all :sweat:

Thanks again for the write up (pics next time please :biggrin:)

Cheers, M.  

I love mono-Tzeentch so really fun to hear that you did so good. I hope you try them out again. I know a Lord of Change is not the best of the greater daemons but I still try to take one. It usually force your oppponent to put  a lot of damge inte to it whcih meens the rest of your army are safe.

10 hours ago, Mumeishi said:

Congrats on being in the upper 3rd... such heady heights :cool:.

And thanks for the short but concise Bat reps,  Ouch on the 4x dread Knights :confused:... And lamentations on the Turn 2 Down turn against the Eldar... how many more turns did it go B4 you realised it wasn't going to happen!?!..

I knew I wasn't winning from the beginning, just did unexpectedly well early on which gave me a slight chance. A better turn 2 would have just let me get another 40 points and still lose since I had no good options for secondaries. Would have done better if I hadn't deep striked 2 horror squads and had them character protecting my daemon prince so he could maybe hit the yncarne.

4 dreadnights were pretty much irrelevant it was the infantry and tournament terrain that I couldn't deal with. Castellan Crowe sitting around ready to heroic intervene had more effect on the game than the dreadnights.

I'm not able to buy any more daemons to change the list so only thing I can really do is add Be'lakor. Picked up the world eaters book so I'll be running mixed khorne before I try mono-tzeentch again. I also want to try some marine lists and mono-slaanesh daemons.

Lord of Change isn't bad, just not want you need to go 5/6 and place 2nd.

Edited by Closet Skeleton