Legion Malcador

Cadmus Tyro

Greetings Frater, 

Today I was looking at an unfinished Malcador on the work bench, I’m pondering whether there is a viable role for it in a legion list, specifically for my iron hands. 

The rules for the vanquisher battle cannon seem half decent, with brutal 2, wounding contemptors on a 2+, does it have a ranged anti-dread role? It’s a pretty niche roll, and I’m not suggesting for one minute it’s a “competitive” choice, but perhaps a viable choice with a specific role. 

Legion Malcador (LA:IH), sponson lascannons, hull lascannon, vanquisher cannon, flare shield and blessed auto simulacra = 315 points. 

Your thoughts would be appreciated,

Cadmus 

The Vanquisher Cannon is great against 2+ and vehicles in general. Dreadnoughts and Terminators are extremely common, so it's liable to always have a target of opportunity - even if it's just against other vehicles, it can still put a hole in most things with decent dice.

For the points there's no doubt better options in a Legiones list, but it can pull it's weight.

Edited by Lord Marshal

I think everything you've said is right. It's not the best use of points you could bring but it is more or less able to do its job. It's probably something I'd only use in quite large games because you'll feel the loss of efficiency more in small ones.

The upgrade cost is a bit strange. 25 for a Flare Shield is a no-brainer but it's a lot to pat to upgrade sponson heavy bolters to lascannon. A Predator would only pay 10 for that. It could still be worth it though, to have a tank that chucked out two vanquisher shots and three lascannons. That's certainly a threat, and will operate at ranges where it shouldn't be that easy to kill.

As others mentioned, I think it’s viable, but other anti dreadnought options are so much more efficient that it makes other choices like the Malcador seem sub par; HSS with lascannons spring to mind!

I don’t think is any way to boost the BS of the Malcador, so the limited number of shots might make it less reliable.

That being said, it’s such a great model it’d be a great addition to your IH army and I’d love to see it painted up and on the table