'Siege of Terra - The End and the Death Volume 1' by Dan Abnett

Tolmeus

Spoiler

Can we all take a minute to appreciate how difficult it must have been for Abnett to write this book?  Long time users of this forum will be familiar with how many plot lines are still open leading into the final book (since attempts were made by us to list them all).  The further I got into this book, the more frustrated I got with the limited scope in some of the earlier books.  It shouldn’t have been left to book 8 to deal with so many open plot lines.  The book’s potential suffers, IMO, with the short chapter lengths. Scenes such as the Emperor finally reuniting with his sons feel rushed, in part because the players involved ARE rushed for time so the microchapters work thematically, but mainly because there simply isn’t space to devote a traditional length chapter to the occasion.  But I 100% understand why Dan had to write it this way if he was going to deliver a finished product this side of the 2030’s.  Perhaps the Siege needed to be 12 novels long rather than 9/10?

I have been exchanging PM’s with Nag to discuss the book whilst the mods had our forum discussion post on lockdown, and one of my regrets is that I have read the book now, and not when book 2 (and maybe 3?) are also available to read straight after.  The more I reflect on this the stronger my feelings become.  Since the book doesn’t end on a traditional cliffhanger or a true ending, my satisfaction with the book suffered.  There was no payoff and that was frustrating.  Sadly in this world of spoilers it is impossible to not read a major release immediately unless you are prepared to accept that parts will be spoilt for you if you’re active in any 40K community.

I adored this book. It's the most "Abnett book" Dan Abnett has written and at times it feels more like a manuscript than a novel to me. If you don't like Abnett in general... well good luck. 

I find it amazing how he thus far manages to wrangle the narrative mess that is the Horus Heresy Series, work within known story beats and still provide an exciting and gripping narrative.

The short chapters work for me as it conveys the urgency and chaos that is going on during this part of the siege. Playing with writing style to convey emotions and impressions is a thing Abnett uses to great effect in other places. E.g.

Spoiler

When he uses an absurdly long run on sentence to describe what Malcador sees when rushing out of the throne room, to convey the absurd scale of said room. I literally went " how big is this?!" Aloud while reading, which is just great.

Long story short I just loved this book and it's been a while since I was up till 4 in the morning reading a book I couldn't put down.

Random thought with spoilers for another of Abnett's recent non HH works.

Spoiler

I feel like the plotline with Fo is setting up stuff for the final book in the Bequin series. With the astartes murder virus being a thing the king in yellow wants to release.

Almost finished but I have to say that I'm so mad at how we could have gotten more Siege books like this one or Saturnine, showing the setting in its whole glory and despair, and instead we had to deal with bricks like Mortis or First Wall or books that just feel completely out of place and focus (looking at you Echoes). 

What I get from Abnett in all of his books is that he understands the big picture happening in his story. He builds magnificent worlds in his stories that embrace you. He is a master of atmosphere.

Personally, I love his decision to use the short episodes structure allowing him to paint a bigger picture. I think it's the most 40k thing he could have done, based on what the lore has been for so many decades: just small bits of information in supershort stories in the tabletop Codices.

I'm starting part 4 and I can't wait to reach the end (and the death) but so far this book is what I wanted it to be.

5 hours ago, matcap86 said:

I adored this book. It's the most "Abnett book" Dan Abnett has written and at times it feels more like a manuscript than a novel to me. If you don't like Abnett in general... well good luck. 

I find it amazing how he thus far manages to wrangle the narrative mess that is the Horus Heresy Series, work within known story beats and still provide an exciting and gripping narrative.

The short chapters work for me as it conveys the urgency and chaos that is going on during this part of the siege. Playing with writing style to convey emotions and impressions is a thing Abnett uses to great effect in other places. E.g.

Hide contents

When he uses an absurdly long run on sentence to describe what Malcador sees when rushing out of the throne room, to convey the absurd scale of said room. I literally went " how big is this?!" Aloud while reading, which is just great.

Long story short I just loved this book and it's been a while since I was up till 4 in the morning reading a book I couldn't put down.

Random thought with spoilers for another of Abnett's recent non HH works.

Hide contents

I feel like the plotline with Fo is setting up stuff for the final book in the Bequin series. With the astartes murder virus being a thing the king in yellow wants to release.

Wrong connection to Bequin's Pandemonium

Spoiler

Enuncia and Valdor's Spear will be in Pandemonium

Both Pandemonium and Part II of TEaTD will CHANGE the Lore FOREVER

The Grey Knights will receive the Terminus Decree

Kaldor Draigo is considering using Fo's weapon because of HOW BAD the Great Rift is. Even though it would kill Guilliman and the Grey Knight

I expect Part II to Violently 'Resolve' many of these Plot Lines. Need more important Loyalist characters dying.

I hope Fafnir Rahn and Maximus Thane die in Part II and are replaced by others similar to how the original Archamus died and was replaced on Pluto

5 hours ago, Corinthus said:

Almost finished but I have to say that I'm so mad at how we could have gotten more Siege books like this one or Saturnine, showing the setting in its whole glory and despair, and instead we had to deal with bricks like Mortis or First Wall or books that just feel completely out of place and focus (looking at you Echoes). 

What I get from Abnett in all of his books is that he understands the big picture happening in his story. He builds magnificent worlds in his stories that embrace you. He is a master of atmosphere.

Personally, I love his decision to use the short episodes structure allowing him to paint a bigger picture. I think it's the most 40k thing he could have done, based on what the lore has been for so many decades: just small bits of information in supershort stories in the tabletop Codices.

I'm starting part 4 and I can't wait to reach the end (and the death) but so far this book is what I wanted it to be.

Agreed. I finally caught up - just started End and Death. And while I personally loved Echoes and Warhawk, in the end, Abnett just writing 4 novels would have been a better literary experience than this 9 (10?) novel thing. (I mean, I think I would have prefered HH to be like Gaunts Ghost, and just give Abnett 10-12 novels to do the whole thing)

I still think about Horus Rising, and how efficient and yet vast that book is. Later HH would have had the 3 sections of Horus Rising be 3 novels (at least), and yet would probably have less colorful characters. 

Alraedy, the short chapters are working for me. I think Abnett, like Jackson in his LotR movies, is a master at going jumping between VERY WIDE and VERY INTIMATE. He knows just a bit of huge can sell the scale. And going back to the smallest of setting and character concerns makes that feel even larger. Can't wait to keep reading. 

Edited by tgcleric

The clocks run out.

Dan Abnett sits, is seated, before Nick Kyme. The Editor. The driving hand. He sits.

"Dan" says he, all politeness. "Some of these choices, your words-"

My words. So short a phrase. My loquaciousness. My paintbrush to render the capstone of a literary tapestry spanning the manifold years. My words.

"They are needed," Abnett says. "They are essential."

He does not see, this Abnett sees. But he will not stop him. He trusts the architect. He has no choice but to acquiesce, the book must release. The clocks have run out.

"Okay, okay," says Nick. Nicholas. The editor. "But this passage here, Dan, it's the longest run-on sentence ever put to page."

"Yes," Dan replies, proudly, profoundly, passionately. "The scale, Nick. I need to show the scale of the palace. It's like Know no Fear, beloved by all."

Relentless detail. At the expense of everything, to show the size, the majesty of the setting, the place. Nick Kyme is uneasy, Abnett knows this, but he knows he will not be denied. The present tense, the thesaurus'd words, the multi-page sentence, all of it will not be denied. It will be allowed. It must be, it is the scale of the thing. Nick sees, even if he does not, dares not, understand. He sees. The book must release.

The clocks have run out.

-

Anyway, about 160 pages in. Really enjoying it so far.

49 minutes ago, Roomsky said:

The clocks run out.

Dan Abnett sits, is seated, before Nick Kyme. The Editor. The driving hand. He sits.

My words. So short a phrase. My loquaciousness. My paintbrush to render the capstone of a literary tapestry spanning the manifold years. My words.

He does not see, this Abnett sees. But he will not stop him. He trusts the architect. He has no choice but to acquiesce, the book must release. The clocks have run out.

"Okay, okay," says Nick. Nicholas. The editor. "But this passage here, Dan, it's the longest run-on sentence ever put to page."

"Yes," Dan replies, proudly, profoundly, passionately. "The scale, Nick. I need to show the scale of the palace. It's like Know no Fear, beloved by all."

Relentless detail. At the expense of everything, to show the size, the majesty of the setting, the place. Nick Kyme is uneasy, Abnett knows this, but he knows he will not be denied. The present tense, the thesaurus'd words, the multi-page sentence, all of it will not be denied. It will be allowed. It must be, it is the scale of the thing. Nick sees, even if he does not, dares not, understand. He sees. The book must release.

The clocks have run out.

-

You forgot to add "this is the end, the death" 4 times at least.

3 hours ago, Roomsky said:

The clocks run out.

The clocks have run out.

-

We need an "Astartesian" reaction

3 hours ago, System Sound said:

You forgot to add "this is the end, the death" 4 times at least.

Even if the book had been titled anything else, I'm sure that people would still refer to it as The End and the Death just by virtue of how frequent those words appear all throughout. It'd be an inevitable meme.

10 minutes ago, DarkChaplain said:

Even if the book had been titled anything else, I'm sure that people would still refer to it as The End and the Death just by virtue of how frequent those words appear all throughout. It'd be an inevitable meme.

At least this seems to be done on purpose by Abnett and it makes sense thematically, but other unusual words or expressions that are repeated often feel like a lack of an editor reviewing his work ("wet leaopard growl", etc)

So it’s done. What a book. Can’t wait for the continuation.

Spoiler

Holy Throne those two last chapters! The moment he started describing the hatch I got a shiver anticipating what was comming and thinking Garviel, you are comming back home.

Also, can’t wait to read what your theories about the whole Dark King are. Is it Hours? Is it Emps? Is it Mad Sanguinius?

47 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I cannot articulate how much @Roomsky has hurt me with that post. ;)

I imagine it's going to be a tough read for you, Scribe, though so far he certainly hasn't committed any grave sins in terms of actual story content. As someone with a higher tolerance for Abnett going all-out, I have to praise the book for, alongside EoE and Saturnine, being the only ones where nearly every page is a blast to read. Even Wraight, good as he is, got frequently bogged down in logistics and run-on battle scenes. Everything here from the dialogue to the fighting to the world building to the character introspection is, at the very least, interesting to read.

That said, there are several chapters where he uses not just present tense, but second-person present tense. This book and Harrow the Ninth are the only novels I've read who used a second-person POV, and while I enjoy them both their successes are despite this POV, not because of it.

The first Oll chapter refers to them still being stalked (which we know was supposedly Erebus, who then went to kill Erda). Looks like he's still in the race as the "maniac prophet" from the epigraphs.

But man, I'm so happy we're getting into Malcador's headspace. While we can't uncritically take everything he says as truth, concerning the Emperor, it's as close as we'll ever get, I'd imagine - and hope. It's strangely cathartic.

On the other hand, the Horus sections are getting us right in there when it comes to his psyche, his character flaws, his rather fragile ego. Combined with stuff like Wolfsbane's scene about the discovery of Russ, or indeed Horus Rising, it all fits so neatly. Sure, it's also not entirely reliable narration, but that's what makes it interesting.

Spoiler

Also, can’t wait to read what your theories about the whole Dark King are. Is it Hours? Is it Emps? Is it Mad Sanguinius?

isn’t the dark king Konrad kurze? Or are they just reusing the name from the story of the same name?

12 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

Hide contents

isn’t the dark king Konrad kurze? Or are they just reusing the name from the story of the same name?

Spoiler

There is mention that Kurze uses that as a title, but that this Dark King is not him or at least they don't believe i is him.

Edited by Lord_Ikka

50 minutes ago, Roomsky said:

I imagine it's going to be a tough read for you, Scribe, though so far he certainly hasn't committed any grave sins in terms of actual story content. As someone with a higher tolerance for Abnett going all-out, I have to praise the book for, alongside EoE and Saturnine, being the only ones where nearly every page is a blast to read. Even Wraight, good as he is, got frequently bogged down in logistics and run-on battle scenes. Everything here from the dialogue to the fighting to the world building to the character introspection is, at the very least, interesting to read.

Yes, I would imagine it will be. I'm not even going to bother trying till I get it in print. I struggle with reading on a digital device enough to avoid subjecting myself to such...uhh self indulgent writing. ;)

This first part is setting up the four climatic fights of the second part

The Dark King vs Great Angel vs and later vs The Humankind Emperor. The Lone Wolf vs the Blackstained Successor. The Son of Chaos vs The First Warmaster and his Argonauts Reborn

I will say this. I hope there are many more climatic and secondary fights in Part II with less certain victors

They can kill off Fafnir Rahn, Maximus Thane and Zephon just like the original Archamus. Still irks me that Thane outlives Sigismund.

34 minutes ago, DarkChaplain said:

On the other hand, you'd probably be better off with the ebook, considering eReaders let you look up vocabulary fairly easily.

Hopefully I can stumble along in the darkness, while he wows me with his grandiose verbosity. :)

1 hour ago, Blindhamster said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Malcador explicitly points out that Curze used that as a title, but this use is as a name. 
It starts appearing everywhere, daemons are whispering it, people will write plans only to look again and see they’ve just written “The Dark King”, it appears as a card in the Emperors Tarot. There hasn’t been any confirmation on what exactly it is, but it’s certainly a big deal.

25 minutes ago, System Sound said:
  Hide contents

I think that the "dark king" is a blanket term for the 5th chaos god. Be it the Emperor or Horus. Or maybe it's a foreshadowing for Abaddon. Time will tell.

Spoiler

It's clearly a red herring in the book, but given the plot line in 40k about the God-Emperor, I don't see how he can't be anyone else but the Emperor and his final "ascension" to the Golden Throne.