We're #1

Rogue

According to the latest Metawatch, Genestealer Cults have finally risen to our rightful place as the ascendant faction in the 40k metaverse. Hurrah for us, I guess.

In light of this, is anyone seeing any particular developments within Arks of Omen, or post-dataslate and point-drop that have strengthened their tabletop play? In short, what's working for us right now?

Now is not the time for realism :)

We're always going to be a small sample size, but I guess that could've just as easily produced a 42% result, leaving us as an outlier in the wrong direction. 

I came across a short video outlining some of the reasons we might be doing well in the Arks environment:

https://youtu.be/Ex_bUKZq0HU

Its fun to see but I really hope that this doesnt meen that GW start to think about a nerf for us? Because our army is really hard to play, cost a lot to buy and time to paint, I think this is just for now and not something that will contuie. But I have always said that we are one of the most balanced codexes. And the meta is now more balacned so I think thats the reason whye we do good at the moment.

I think quite a few things work in GSC's favour:

AoO Secondaries and gamemodes favour board control and denying enemy board control

GSC Secondaries are very easy when you build into them

Cheaper Icons means extra boys/toys where needed

Armour of Contempt being gone helps us play into anything power armoured which was one of our biggest weaknesses

Our custom traits are top tier (I'd argue the best in the game)

Lists that I've seen do well have been leaning on several 20-man blobs of Neophytes with shotguns, icon, flamers and Sesmic cannons, a couple blobs of bikes and a couple 5 man units of acolytes for behind Enemy lines or actions.

The only thing I can see GW touching is potentially toning down the custom traits. As GW have mentioned themselves, there's so few GSC players and so little data, it's very hard to make balance decsions based on that. Hopefully it'll be a light touch and not Custode/LoV levels of balancing :sweat:

It's happened every now and then, but yeah, pretty rare.

If you don't already follow Goonhammer's Competitive Innovations column, it's worth checking out - we don't feature often, but it's good to see what other people are getting up to (and having success with).

https://www.goonhammer.com/competitive-innovations-in-9th-darkest-timeline-pt-1/

On 2/20/2023 at 7:22 PM, Rogue said:

I don't know if 30 players is considered large, but it was rated as a Grand Tournament.

30 players or 30 games? I think somewhere I ready that over 60 players was a 'GT'.

It's nice to see GSC in a strong position, they have an awesome, seemingly well balanced dex and I think the only thing holding them back has been outright brokenness in other codexes that 'top' players have flocked to. 

30 players, 5 rounds. It's on the link just above, at the bottom of the page - I'm just going with their description.

And I agree - the more I play with the math-hammer, the more balanced it seems. And it feels like we can hold our own into most things, but not dominate, which is a good place to be.

On 2/22/2023 at 3:17 PM, Xenith said:

30 players or 30 games? I think somewhere I ready that over 60 players was a 'GT'.

It's nice to see GSC in a strong position, they have an awesome, seemingly well balanced dex and I think the only thing holding them back has been outright brokenness in other codexes that 'top' players have flocked to. 

I've been to 'Grand' Tournaments with 26-40 players. 60+ player events are a lot more common than they were 4 years ago so the written standards and guide lines might be a bit behind the times.

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly late to the party, but there's been a fair bit of Cult activity over on Goonhammer this week - Competitive Innovations features GSC forces in three showdowns, and we pop up in a few other places too. You can find it all here:

https://www.goonhammer.com/competitive-innovations-in-9th-start-wearing-purple-pt-1/

https://www.goonhammer.com/competitive-innovations-in-9th-start-wearing-purple-pt-2/

Not only that, but I also bumped into a fascinating resource (which you may, of course, already be well familiar with). But in case not, it's the Stat Check Meta-Data Dashboard, here: 

https://www.stat-check.com/the-meta

If we set it to show just the Cult, we can see how the various factions stack up against each other, and look beyond the headline 59%. For example, Helix comes in at 60%, Hivecult score 67%, and the Princes hit 75%; whereas Claw are down at 17%, with Four-Armed at 20% (and Bladed Cog get no love at all, sadly).

Unfortunately, a lot of the data points are likely so small that it's hard to draw concrete conclusions, but nice to see things like Toil/Killers/Affinity/Convoy racking up 63% (and being played by a quarter of players, so there must be some kind of consistency there). It looks like there are more combinations scoring 60%+ than otherwise, with the overall win-rate dragged down by a few significantly lower creeds (like Claw). Which suggests that, with the right selections in play, we could be even more successful than the headline figures suggest. Hurrah for us.