Prot’s World Eater Thread

Prot

Well I lasted about as long as Samni’arius when actually confronted with Angron, lol. ( I won’t explain that reference in case some of you haven’t read the codex yet. Suffice to say it’s a great little piece.)

No pictures yet of the loot (they’re on my phone. Gotta transfer them.) If anyone reading this recalls, I was planning on passing up on WE. I’ve played every chaos release for 20 years and I made note of saying that this release was just too expensive for me especially compounded with the other Chaos stuff. I felt it was just too pricey. 

There I am at the GW store this week, confronted with the new release wall and I stared up at the last Angron, the last 8 bound box. And I grabbed them immediately. I also picked up Invocatus, a box of Berzerkers, the codex, cards and this months white dwarf (Khârn on the cover). 

So I walked out of there with a heavy bag and a light wallet. Why did I do it? I dunno. Aside from being a chaos nut? I guess seeing the models up close had a total different effect on me. Plus the amount of people telling me they really wanted to see me do the army probably was a factor. 

Anyway maybe a part of it was I actually sold a few painted models on eBay (Ironically they were some of my old World Eater models!) However that sale did not even pay for half of this initial outlay, but it’s better than nothing!

So my first list will look like this since I have all of these models:

Angron

Invocatus

Daemon Prince (bought this a few weeks ago for IW)

5 Zerkers x2 

Jahkals ( proxy cultists for now)

Exalted 8Bound

Helbrute MM fist 

5 or so Termies ( were being painted for Black Legion)

2-3 single Spawn units 

Landraider ( my old Crimson Slaughter LR but should be fairly easy to repaint )

( I also have an unused Exalted Champion but can’t fit him in yet)

I know this list is bad and I really don’t care if I lose every game with it. I want to have some fun painting some of the more difficult, detailed models while I’m motivated, before expanding. If I really take a few beatings I may juggle the list a little by proxying in something for the Landraider but I’d like to keep it. 

Well there you have it. This is how I went from skipping prerelease, and buying a bunch of World Eaters anyway! Stay tuned I’ll try to update with progress pics and game experiences….

Edited by Prot

Welcome aboard!

I also didn't think originally I was going to like this release as much as I do, but the models are pretty great, and the rather simple rules I think have done a great job.

I had the same opinion on that white dwarf as well... there's some really awesome Chaos army pictures in this one, with the World Eaters, Iron Warriors, Red Corsairs and Word Bearers in it. My friend bought it and we flipped through it a bit and I was sold instantly.

Well done Prot (apologies to your other half for some of us swaying you into buying WE :tongue:...i said in that thread it'd be great to see you paint WE.... :laugh:) Glad you sold some models to slightly compensate the outlay...

I really look forward to seeing this army painted up !!  I know if i had the Funds spare i would certainly buy all the new WE stuff (although i'd get one box of 8Bound and one of Possessed and mix em together for a bit of a saving :thumbsup:

Cheers, M

9 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Welcome aboard!

I also didn't think originally I was going to like this release as much as I do, but the models are pretty great, and the rather simple rules I think have done a great job.

I had the same opinion on that white dwarf as well... there's some really awesome Chaos army pictures in this one, with the World Eaters, Iron Warriors, Red Corsairs and Word Bearers in it. My friend bought it and we flipped through it a bit and I was sold instantly.

Yup, it's Chaos + the models. The rules look fun. Daemonkin and Blood Tithes was a similar concept as we know, but thee models are just so good. 

On the White Dwarf; exactly... Just so many good pics. There's the Dark Omens pieces in there. A related Iron Warriors story, and the World Eaters in a boarding actions batrep. (I haven't and probably won't try that game system, but it's a good read.)

7 hours ago, Mumeishi said:

Well done Prot (apologies to your other half for some of us swaying you into buying WE :tongue:...i said in that thread it'd be great to see you paint WE.... :laugh:) Glad you sold some models to slightly compensate the outlay...

I really look forward to seeing this army painted up !!  I know if i had the Funds spare i would certainly buy all the new WE stuff (although i'd get one box of 8Bound and one of Possessed and mix em together for a bit of a saving :thumbsup:

Cheers, M

Thank you! My other half will never know the true depths of my madness! (She just doesn't get this stuff at all, but tolerates me and my play groups of, sometimes rather noisy, friends. 

I saw your post about kit bashing. Since I'm starting with exalted, I suppose that's a real possibility. I'll have to look a little more closely at how that would work.

5 hours ago, INKS said:

I look forward to seeing them painted up. I know you'll do them justice.

Thank you. I honestly want to just get them on the table!  I don't know if I'll do any super heavy detail work on these, but that said, I think they look fairly great even at table top standard.

So I cracked open my stuff and frantically, every day after work, put as much as I could together for  a game this week. But I couldn't put down Angron. I took some time off and really went to town on this guy. What a project he is, but a lot of fun to paint!

image.thumb.jpeg.a03b48cc3e0f0378a4645b3cf1f565e8.jpegAngronProt-Head1.thumb.JPG.669a4b9dd0b7ea1ca9d931c20f4ee3c4.JPG

AngronSamniArius.thumb.JPG.9dd22107329465526bbd1013d22ad087.JPG

A great model to try a bunch of different techniques on.

Thanks M! 

The gold/bronze paints are all based on the same base colour; a gold pigment from Green Stuff World. I love it. I use the pigment with an activator/medium like contrast medium or larmium medium, and I just use that, or add chromes/ or tints to the metallic gold pigment. It's the only way to paint gold for me now.

Here's just some updated pics taken at GW with a bit better lighting, but the colour does seem a bit washed out:

ProtAngronFRontSide.thumb.JPG.ab0c70d8bfeff41b2402f47a61175ad8.JPG

ProtAngronFRont1.thumb.JPG.0a34f18ffd8df991e995040fd8e676d2.JPGIMG_4402.thumb.JPG.54bc2acb764504063cfd02e037607a14.JPG

So I had my first game on the weekend with the world eaters. It was against Sisters of Battle.

I had a very straightforward list comprised mostly of models I put together, and borrowed from other Chaos armies, plus Angron of course.

It was a lot of fun. I was worried it would be too restrictive, and I worried about the effects of Angron... perhaps being to repressive. It turned out that Angron killed a grand total of.... ZERO units! 

Yup you read that right. We played with a good amount of terrain but he could be seen pretty much anywhere, and I lost him to multiple tank shots in T2. In T3 he came back, and made a charge into sacresants which tanked him with their shields (I killed a few) and then they easily killed him at that point. Angron came in a 3rd time, failed the charge, got shot off the board. 

So he really is fun, but a bit of a Tithe hog. And while he does kill (most) of what he touches, he still has his bad match ups and a good general is going to keep it that way. (His reappearance can be very predictable considering his deep strike requirements/base size. So your opponent can likely steer him.)

The army overall was a lot of fun. It's really fun to take the common Berzerker and get some work done. The Daemon Prince was disappointing. And my Landraider did take out a critical unit before getting toasted by Multimeltas in T2.  

All in all I don't think Angron is as potent as a lot of 350-360 point models should be... that's my opinion for now, but it is extremely easy to kill him, and steer him, and as I said he really hogs the Blood Tithes. There are so many good uses of the BTP's, but you find yourself farming them for his return. 

Great secondaries though. I think that's one of the things keeping the army 'competitive'. Those secondaries change and it's a new ball game in 10th. I do love the Exalted/8Bound. The sheer glee of ripping apart Vaul for the first time in months is not something I will soon forget!

32 minutes ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Glad to hear you had some fun with it. I think the army is surprisingly interesting and in-depth for the small amount of rules and all it has. Really goes to show how much stuff is just 'there' in the other books.

That's a great point. I think of how many pages/datasheets I could rip out of the marine codex and never miss. It's true, the codex is extremely small, but the core mechanism they came up with sure is a lot of fun. I did really miss Daemonkin when they packed it up, but this does seem like a pretty decent exchange.

Friends of the World Eaters will be glad to know I got this squad of Exalted Eightbound done. I just had another game with them. They do seem to do well if starting in a Landraider. They have managed to make an impact in every game. Not necessarily racking up a ton of kills, but often drawing a lot of firepower/attention too.

image.thumb.jpeg.07eaed08b3a0cddbeae76887b5e55644.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.904af608182bca2e83eba768c091eaa8.jpeg

Lots of fun to paint, but as usual... just so much bloody detail. (Pun intended)

Awesome work !! Happy to see some painting updates from you Prot :thumbsup:

Glad to hear the army works well as is (My mates and I are stopping updating 40K at 9th and I really wanted to get a WE army as my last 9th army, so this looks promising for me as a standalone army to play with without being over or underpowered)

Look forwards to more Red n' Brass from you :cool:

Cheers, M.   

12 hours ago, Mumeishi said:

Awesome work !! Happy to see some painting updates from you Prot :thumbsup:

Glad to hear the army works well as is (My mates and I are stopping updating 40K at 9th and I really wanted to get a WE army as my last 9th army, so this looks promising for me as a standalone army to play with without being over or underpowered)

Look forwards to more Red n' Brass from you :cool:

Cheers, M.   

Stopping at 9th? Meaning no more purchases? Well if that's the case this is a great release (in my biased opinion!)

This weekend I just had another game vs the Blood Angels! A match up I'd been waiting for....

He brought a list that was very new to him though, and shockingly it was extremely shooty. Lots of Melta... Speeders/bikers, galore. His HQ's were also biker HQ's, Chappy/Captain with relic hammer. I played with the same list I'd been using to try and keep painting it...

Anyway I don't have a lot of time so I'll cut to the chase... it was a huge win for World Eaters, but I will say I take it with a grain of salt because even though I tried to coach or be very transparent with my opponent, he hadn't faced WE yet. 

Here's the biggest moment:

image.thumb.png.a197aa76a0c22778c79f83489dd4176a.png

This is from his side of the table. It's got a few huge moments here. 1. Is what I consider his 'big' error. He took Oath of Moment. So he crammed his Impulsor in the middle and got out with an Apothecary to get the 2 points. My Eightbound (three in black) took out the Apothecary, and swept into the Impulsor. His mistake here was charging me on multiple fronts including the  Red Blade Guard which I interrupted on. With +1 Damage strat, I took the whole squad down before they swung. It was literally to the man, to the wound, and he had a really bad roll. (Basically he threw the squad away, he could have avoided the Exalted entirely.)

2. The red angel: Angron advanced up to Objective 3, and he dedicated far too little firepower. He basically had to hit and wound with everything to take Angron down. But of course this is if nearly everything hit/wounded. I did not save a lot but his poor damage rolls on melta took Angron down to TWO WOUNDS! He had a few more attack bikes, even Hevay Bolters he could have finished Angron off with. So with that in mind, he assaulted Angron with a less than stellar unit of shooty bikers. He fails to kill Angron somehow! angron swings back and literally removes every bike, again to the exact wound! Crazy stuff....

3. Is his Chaplain followed by the captain on bike. In my turn, Angron would roll into them, and with all those bladeguard dead, there was no way for him to reinforce this area. the other side of the table was more or less evenly matched with my DP and Invocatus backing up the 10 Berzerkers to a stand  still vs a ton of speeders/bikers with MM's.

But Angron would kill the Chaplain and this side of his table half was completely collapsing now.

We called it after 4. There was just no way he could score anymore as my Termies came in and took his homefield objective as well.

Again, I'm sure there is a ton he would do differently now. I can't blame him. The only thing I really didn't get was I think he thought his Bladeguard were a little more resilient than they really were. This combined with undershooting Angron probably won me the game.

It was fun to go toe to toe with an army that is typically much superior to all of mine in close combat. However this time his list was decidedly shooty. Regardless it was a fun game with a fun opponent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 12:24 AM, Prot said:

Stopping at 9th? Meaning no more purchases? Well if that's the case this is a great release (in my biased opinion!)

Well we're Not getting 10Th books (unless as i said it's the holy grail of Rule Books...which i highly doubt it will be) we still intend to buy shiny new models here n there but as far as rules go...stopping at 9th... 

Glad to see the army is fun to play!! 

Cheers, M. 

Wow nice, you’re right though, it’s not like painting cadians or plain intercessors it will be tough painting with basic troops as detailed as these :sweat:…. 

M. 
++EDIT++ is that a tyranid skull on base of the left most berserker?!?

Edited by Mumeishi

On 3/17/2023 at 6:02 PM, Mumeishi said:

Wow nice, you’re right though, it’s not like painting cadians or plain intercessors it will be tough painting with basic troops as detailed as these :sweat:…. 

M. 
++EDIT++ is that a tyranid skull on base of the left most berserker?!?

Hehe, yes it is! Good eye.

These are almost painstakingly detailed troops. I love them, don't get me wrong, but a lot of labour. As you say, it's not like whipping through Cadians or even space marines which do paint a lot quicker. It's also the different textures (which I try to paint differently). These models have a fair amount of skin/metal/armour/tabards/cloth/leather, etc. 

I did finish my Daemon Prince so I hope to have pics up soon!

3 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Amazing work there Prot. I am just blown away by the level of detail you have put into those pieces.

45 minutes ago, DOGGED said:

Great work! Loving the skin tones and armour, they make for very dynamic pieces, with like an almost twisted, organic feel to them; you know, as if the armour is just an exoskeleton, a natural growth, very chaosy.

Please keep posting your work, it's inspiring!

Thanks, both of you. That means a lot. Any of us that has put a ton of time into our hobby knows the commitment it takes to get work done to a decent level. I really appreciate it!

WoW :wub: That daemon prince is sweet ! The sword almost glows like it's really a hot piece of metal ! :cool:.

The 8 Bound look great together :thumbsup:.

Great work (as usual from you anyway !!) Thanks for sharing!

Cheers, M