Primacy (Marc Collins)

Morovir

With all of the talk about The End and the Death Volume 1, it feels like this short story has somewhat slipped under the radar. Marc Collins has definitely done his research here and put together a story that, while not essential to the plot of the Horus Heresy, nicely fills in some of the gaps in the story of the Emperor's Children.

Summary:

Spoiler

Set post-Angel Exterminatus, but before The Path of Heaven, we see Eidolon joining a gathering of the Emperor's Children high command, as they debate their course of action in the wake of Fulgrim's ascension and his abandonment of the legion. Following his resurrection, Eidolon is looked down upon by his fellow officers, who see him as a failure and a weakling who has lost the primarch's favour. The two leading figures in the legion at this point are First Captain Julius Kaesoron, who wishes to seek out Fulgrim and rejoin him (who, incidentally, is also supported by Lord Commander Archorian from The Soul Severed), and Lord Commander Cyrius, who instead wishes to rejoin the Warmaster's forces in their push for Terra. Eidolon proposes a third path: pursue their own desires, beholden to nobody save themselves. Unsurprisingly, given his unpopularity, Eidolon has the fewest supporters. The three decide to settle this in a duel, with each commander nominating their own champion. To the surprise of the other two, Eidolon chooses to represent himself, slaying both of their champions in a display of his newfound strength. Following this, supporters flock to Eidolon's side, and he departs the gathering with more than a third of the legion, claiming the title of Lord Commander Primus for his victory and his newfound strength.

Thoughts:

Spoiler

Finally, we get to see how Eidolon went from the shattered creature he was in Angel Exterminatus to the confident commander in The Path of Heaven, commanding a third of the Legion and bearing the new title Lord Commander Primus. We also get an idea of what the rest of the legion was doing in this time, catching up with Julius Kaesoron (who has tragically been neglected in the Siege so far), and, as always, it's nice to get another glimpse of who Cyrius was before becoming a face on Lucius' armour.

Also, as an aside, I notice this is the second short story dedicated to Eidolon in the past couple years, both from different authors - hopefully this is indicative of a potential longer form piece about him in the future!

Would definitely recommend picking this up if you're an Emperor's Children fan though - Marc Collins does far better justice to the descriptions of the Emperor's Children than I ever could.

The other short story, Amor Fati, is set a bit earlier, but still after Angel Exterminatus.

It has Eidolon look for "pure" gene-seed free from the EC's original Blight, so that Fabius could restore him. He's in constant pain, his movements blunt and stuttering; he's got the skills, but he lacks the precision and reliability he used to have before losing his head.

He's also ticked off at Lucius having come back from death without the same issues he has. Then again, Lucius didn't get his head reattached.

In the end Eidolon chooses the constant crucible and accepts it as a gift from Slaanesh. He accepts this new spasming body.

Spoiler

These were gifts from the gods.
No, not gifts. Boons, perhaps, for the gods would always want their payment. And if he let Fabius return him to his previous state, then that would be to spit upon the Dark Prince and whatever destiny he had planned for Eidolon. And he was destined for momentous events. Why else was he alive if not for greatness? Perhaps Fabius knew this, and it was his plan to rip Eidolon from his glorious destiny and return him to a mewling, pathetic existence shared by much of the Legion.
Mediocrity was not to be his lot. Fulgrim had now ascended and would no longer concern himself with the mundane affairs of the Legion. Yet the III would need leadership and guidance, and who better than Eidolon to wear that mantle?
As the Storm Eagle came into view, Eidolon suffered a final measure of clarity. All his remembered existence, he had sought perfection in all things – in warfare, strategy, tactics; in martial arts; in all arts of a different sort. The Dark Prince had unveiled the mysteries of experience only the most elevated and debauched could truly appreciate. Then Eidolon had become soul-severed, and now perfection in his most intimate possession, his own body, was forever lost to him – constantly in blissful agony, reminded eternally of his shame as his body refused to obey his mind.
In its own way, it was a perfect torment, tailor-made for the rest of his existence.
He could fathom no more ideal torture for himself. He could embrace it, and his new gifts, and rise with no limit to his power. Or he could reject it and be restored to his previous mundane perfection. He appreciated the subtle majesty of it and at once understood, adored and lamented his fate. His curse was also a boon. An insignificant price to pay for his new-found abilities. The Dark Prince was wise beyond measure. It was to be an eternal blessing paid for by a never-ending agony.

This new story reflects this, from what I've read before falling asleep last night, and builds on it. He went from a cripple cursing his own life to acceptance and trying to regain lost power on his own merits. It's a good arc.

any news on what's being released next week? for what I remember in december after all the novels already relase would be Lord of the Fallen, The Last Volari , Piligrims of Faith, Blightslayer, Creed Ashes of Cadia and that box set from word bearers.. 

This is another thing I don't understand BL. They should like have a clean schedule for next quarter. It's strange that I've got to resort to Fnac or bookdepository to know what they are going to be releasing lol

1 minute ago, chevalierdulys said:

any news on what's being released next week? for what I remember in december after all the novels already relase would be Lord of the Fallen, The Last Volari , Piligrims of Faith, Blightslayer, Creed Ashes of Cadia and that box set from word bearers.. 

This is another thing I don't understand BL. They should like have a clean schedule for next quarter. It's strange that I've got to resort to Fnac or bookdepository to know what they are going to be releasing lol

This is the wrong thread, but next week you’ve got two Horror releases: Dale Lucas’ Black Eyed Saint (Murghast book 3) and The Resting Places anthology. 

It’s possible John French’s Cypher LE comes out as well, but my guess is that’s still a few weeks away. 

BL is a book publisher using the release strategies of a tabletop miniatures company. They know they have a monopoly on 40k literature and don’t have to communicate/advertise like other publishers. Maybe one day GW will outsource BL novels to Aconyte and we can have both quality writing and quality communication. Unlikely, but a man can dream.

3 hours ago, cheywood said:

This is the wrong thread, but next week you’ve got two Horror releases: Dale Lucas’ Black Eyed Saint (Murghast book 3) and The Resting Places anthology. 

It’s possible John French’s Cypher LE comes out as well, but my guess is that’s still a few weeks away. 

BL is a book publisher using the release strategies of a tabletop miniatures company. They know they have a monopoly on 40k literature and don’t have to communicate/advertise like other publishers. Maybe one day GW will outsource BL novels to Aconyte and we can have both quality writing and quality communication. Unlikely, but a man can dream.

sorry I thought I was on the upcoming :\ Sorry and thank you for your information

On 2/24/2023 at 3:29 PM, DarkChaplain said:

The other short story, Amor Fati, is set a bit earlier, but still after Angel Exterminatus.

It has Eidolon look for "pure" gene-seed free from the EC's original Blight, so that Fabius could restore him. He's in constant pain, his movements blunt and stuttering; he's got the skills, but he lacks the precision and reliability he used to have before losing his head.

He's also ticked off at Lucius having come back from death without the same issues he has. Then again, Lucius didn't get his head reattached.

In the end Eidolon chooses the constant crucible and accepts it as a gift from Slaanesh. He accepts this new spasming body.

Hide contents

This new story reflects this, from what I've read before falling asleep last night, and builds on it. He went from a cripple cursing his own life to acceptance and trying to regain lost power on his own merits. It's a good arc.

He's still alive present day and still a major commander of that Legion