Post Arks of Omen Games

Prot

Hey folks, believe it or not I do miss the Ultra's and still think they have some play in them even though some of the other chapters seem to have all the attention post Arks of Omen.

I took a very basic list and I didn't take pictures because I used largely my White Scars army blended with some of the older versions of the characters. IE: Old calgar/Tiggy.

I ended up playing against Death Guard and deciding on trying out March for Macragge which worked out really well. I got it off on 4 of the 6 objectives. 

I was extremely aggressive, and used the Phobos to hit mid fast for Oaths. The Death Guard did hit back hard with Drones, and of course once the big Blightlord squad came out I knew I was in trouble. I had a front line of 5 bolt aggressors, followed up by 4 Las Centurions and an ancient/apothecary combo in the middle of it while Calgar handed out the rerolls.

It worked surprisingly well. Without March for Macragge I couldn't have done it, but admittedly I was almost wiped by T5 though held on for a large margin win.

How are your post Ark's games going?

You bet! One squad of Victrix Guard, and they did a great job of acting as a buffer for Calgar, giving him time to do what he needed to do. They did die in the end to the Scythe reaper type DG Terminators. (Forget their name). But it took almost 2 full turns (I think 3 combat phases).

So they did a great job, and even when they aren't 'bodyguarding' I found they are excellent for actions.

March for Macragge is my new favourite, because I've never really enjoyed playing a super duper shooty Ultramarine's army. So this secondary works with my wanting to do a more close combat/close ranged shooty army. And yea, the Devcents are a royal pain to remove. You really don't have to baby sit them too much since they don't get re-rolls anyway without the relic in use. So they still do carry some serious weight, even in this Arks of Omen era.