Guardians of the Covenant using the broken sword

Sothan

Hello

Bit of a strange question, but do the Guardians of the Covenant use the broken and winged sword symbol too ?

Only asking as I've seen some images of the DA upgrade kit used on them and some have the winged sword on there

39 minutes ago, Sothan said:

Hello

Bit of a strange question, but do the Guardians of the Covenant use the broken and winged sword symbol too ?

Only asking as I've seen some images of the DA upgrade kit used on them and some have the winged sword on there

I think they could.  I have used them occasionally on things like Ravenwing Bikers only because there really isn't a way around not using them.  Otherwise, I try to only use the GotC crossed swords and some DA upgrade bits that don't have the sword with wings.  It's really up to you, though

This is something that used to bother me a lot lore-wise, but over time I feel it's been established that the First Legion and its descendants have tended to be pretty fast and loose when it comes to heraldry.  (This includes, but isn't limited to, Boreas' team painting their power armor bone white, Belath's pauldron being painted green, Nakir's guards having white helmets, and the whole thing with everyone in the Dark Angels not wearing the same chapter badge since forever.)  I'd say you'd be justified in giving your GotC models Deathwing swords - perhaps the individuals in question are being honored for having served on the Rock alongside their parent chapter for a period of time.  This could have happened during the events of the novel The Unforgiven, or during any number of other actions where the Dark Angels were operating alongside other portions of the First Legion.

@Azoriel, Boreas’ team painting their armor white being in PA, could also have been a mod to the past (end of 1st ed, beginning-ish of 2nd ed,) when there were  deathwing white power armored marines, in addition to the “we are deathwing now by boreas.”

Belath was calibanite and all of the calibanite DA could have left pauldron background color be green for the forests of Caliban.

Not sure about Nakir’s guards (as I don’t know how far back it was being made that companions painted areas white for where they took a hit that protected someone,) but could be a throwback to HH era where companions they painted the armor plate bone white where they took a hit that protected a superior (edit - evidently at least was a means of showing link to them being first company of Consecrators and giving honor to DA 1st company of Deathwing. But not sure if Companions idea was a thing in GW then.)

I do agree that even beyond those they do seem kinda free with heraldry a bit.

Edited by Harleqvin