Rewards of Treachery - Close Combat Unit

Valkyrion

My Alpha Legion army has a distinct lack of hard hitting close combat - 10 lernaeans and the primarch - so I was looking to use RoT to add some punch.

The rest of the army is basically 10 headhunters, 10 recons, 10 melta guns and 10 lascannons as staples, then a smattering of vehicles and dreadnoughts (only shooty ones at the moment) to taste, including either a Spartan or Proteus depending on the number of Lernaeans. I don't really have anything that could go toe to toe with the super elites. 

I haven't leaned into a Rite of War yet, but have no qualms about going full Coils if it's cool enough, though I'm probably looking at a simple 5 man terminator or 10 man non terminator squad to begin with (Coils requires 3 of the same type of unit, not just 3 units from the same legion - is that right?)

Cheers!

The best close combat unit you can take is IMO either suzerains or cenobium. 

Suzerains basically don't rely on any synergy with their parent Legion, and are supremely good for 225 with hammers. And that's before being line and characters. 

Cenobium are a bit more expensive, and really do like the deathwing +1 to hit with swords, but can go to hammers to kinda make it a moot point. They still get to choose an order and are still all characters though, so they still retain a lot of their selling points.

Thanks. 

Hammers vs axes on the Suzerains, and I know you've suggested hammers, but you get an extra attack from the axe and pistol and you're AP2 at initiative. A quick look around the weapons section tells me AP2 at initiative is pretty rare, but I don't know what every Legion has to offer.  

Are either of those units worth Coilsing for?  30 Suzerain is almost 1000 points, or 1300 points with hammers, 15 Cenobium would be 825, so I'm a third of the way towards playing Ultramarines or Dark Angels by this point!

25 minutes ago, Valkyrion said:

Thanks. 

Hammers vs axes on the Suzerains, and I know you've suggested hammers, but you get an extra attack from the axe and pistol and you're AP2 at initiative. A quick look around the weapons section tells me AP2 at initiative is pretty rare, but I don't know what every Legion has to offer.  

Are either of those units worth Coilsing for?  30 Suzerain is almost 1000 points, or 1300 points with hammers, 15 Cenobium would be 825, so I'm a third of the way towards playing Ultramarines or Dark Angels by this point!

The thing is ap2 at initiative is only as good as the strength of the model. 235 points of axe suzerains average 11.55 wounds against ws/t 4 models; 225 of hammer suzerains average 10.96. Those have brutal and instant death t4, ignoring FNP. 

IMO the hammer is better unless you're swarming the field with suzerains (like 30 of them).

I took some falax and meteor hammer wielding red hand destroyers recently, they were fun, and the hammer (reach, s6, breaching 5+ as I recall)  is a nasty surprise on top of the -1T from rad grenades...

Otherwise, suzerians and cenobites, as above, though I'm finding my AL really want to avoid combat unless I'm line to flip an objective, so I'd prefer suzerains. 

Edited by Xenith