Ultramarines 2000 Points - Return to the Fold

Gage

Hello Brothers,

Now that I have the time, and space, I am finally able to return to the hobby and start playing some games. The end goal for this is to take to a tournament in April, which will be my first time playing since around 2017. 

The following is made entirely of what I have painted, or will have painted by weeks end. I have a pretty large collection so there is definitely the possibility of chopping and changing where needed to make things work. Additionally, looking at it I'm not too sure about the ROW because the MoS doesn't really wind up with a place to be useful, but hey, its not the end of the world.

Ultramarines - Logos Lectora ROW

HQ

Delegatus 125

- cataphractii

- combi melta

- legatine axe

Cataphractii command squad 240

- 4 members 

- 2 chainfist

- 2 power fist 

- 3 combi melta 

Master of signal 95

Elites 

Contemptor dreadnought 205

- gravis power fist

- gravis chainfist 

- 2 plasma blaster 

Invictarus suzerains 405

- 1 thunder hammer

- land raider proteus 

Troops

Tactical Squad 145

- magna combi weapon

- rhino

Tactical Squad 145

- magna combi weapon

- rhino

Tactical Squad 145

- magna combi weapon

- rhino

Fast Attack 

Sky hunter squadron 150

- 3 multi melta 

Heavy Support 

Sicaran 200

- lascannon sponsons

Vindicator 140

- Laser destroyer 

Wouldn't go so far as to say I have a "game plan" at this stage, I am more focused on using a wide variety of (painted) units and having a good time, while getting back into the swing of things as far as gaming goes. That's not to say I don't want to have a fighting chance in my games, but I'm not super concerned with using sub-optimal units.

Always love seeing Logos lists.

It seems pretty capable in terms of shooting with a lot of combi, tho one-shot so risky, and a good amount of combat. You might not need the ROW as you say, but ive found it can really swing a game if you use Retribution strike at the right time to reduce the effectiveness of enemy combat units, especially specialty ones. Now despoilers are available (or if you can convert) maybe switch out a tactical squad? not sure if its optimal but gives you something different to paint/play.  Finally, no transport for the retinue?  Should be ok as they are quite survivable, but might get whittled or pinned by enemy fire. 

For other thoughts, if you have seen some of the other Ultramarine lists a lot of the same discussions come up;

Searchlights on Rhinos, maybe a dozer blade depends on your common terrain.

A few Augary scanners might be worth considering, same for some Vexilla, and artificier armour on the sky-hunter.

Unfortunately lacking the bits to convert up despoilers at this stage, but I could assemble a tactical squad with chain bayonets. Retinue is footslogging because I've already got the Suzerains in the land raider, but potentially could just shift them to be a regular cataphractii squad to give them more bodies. Would have the added benefit of (hopefully) shaving some points to equip some of those upgrades for the rhinos etc.

Edit to add a rejig. Dropped the rhino on the third tactical squad, and added searchlights and vexillas to the mounted tacticals, as well as artificer armour to the skyhunters.

HQ

Delegatus 125

- cataphractii

- combi melta

- legatine axe

Cataphractii command squad 240

- 4 members 

- 2 chainfist

- 2 power fist 

- 3 combi melta 

Master of signal 95

Elites 

Contemptor dreadnought 205

- gravis power fist

- gravis chainfist 

- 2 plasma blaster 

Invictarus suzerains 405

- 1 thunder hammer

- land raider proteus 

Troops

Tactical Squad 160

- magna combi weapon

- vexilla 

- rhino

- searchlight 

Tactical Squad 160

- magna combi weapon

- vexilla 

- rhino

- searchlight 

Tactical Squad 110

- magna combi weapon

Fast Attack 

Sky hunter squadron 150

- 3 multi melta 

- artificer armour 

Heavy Support 

Sicaran 200

- lascannon sponsons

Vindicator 140

- Laser destroyer 

Edited by Gage

Nice. I really like retinue, the increased WS really gives a good survivability boost for combat, and when combined with Retribution strike from the ROW they can really trip up an opponent. You can always try putting them in the land raider if you see the benefit after some games. The Suzerain are a popular pick which means a tempting target for the opponent, this could be used to your advantage.  Youre packing in a lot of cool things at 2000pts tho!

@dickyelsdon yeah I'm pretty happy with how much I've managed to squeeze into 2k. Hopefully theres enough threats there to force the opponent to make some choices, while also letting me have some fun and use some cool units. 

@megavolt good point regarding the command squad. I'll look to try and get some games in if possible so I can test the different combos out