New Necron player - want to say hello etc

Dark-Storm-01

So hi, I've been out of the hobby for a good while. I started back in 1994 with 2nd ed, stopped playing something like 2014 or so (around battle for macragge)

I know 10th Ed is a few months off but decided as I was interested in getting into Necron to buy 9th Ed.

So far I have the Command Edition & a Doom Stalker.

I am waiting on a recruit edition, combat patrol, kill team and a lokhust heavy destroyer.

Once I've painted all of this I will likely see about getting some Flayed Ones and Hexmarks

Though tomorrow (Wed 8th) I will go see what my local Indie hobby store has by way of Imperium mags for Necron and Primaris/Space Marines

Just wanting to get some tips, advice etc from veteran Necron players as to what works for you etc

I have 5 of the Necron you get with the getting started mag and the paint set and have thus far only painted one which I liked the look of hence why I made the purchases.

Necron - starter - finished - 01.jpg

Necron - starter - finished - 02.jpg

Welcome to the domain of cold metal, bleak science, and cosmic destiny!

As @Tyriks mentioned, Skorpekh destroyers have become a mainstay of Necron lists due to their speed, striking power, and durability. Other noteworthy units are Canoptek Wraiths (good for moving really quick and surprisingly tough), Lychguard (really good at holding territory), and Chronomancers/Technomancers (great buffing characters). 

Welcome to the Necrons. :D 

One of my favourite things about them is that they are quite expansive for a Xenos faction with lots of options and ways to play them. My recommendation is to just play around with the kinds of units you have as well as the various subfactions. Find out what kind of playstyle suits you best and build on that. 

Personally, for most of 9th, I ran a lot of Lychguard, Flayed Ones, Skorpek Destroyers, Wraiths, and Scarab Swarms backed by Technomancers with a custom Dynasty for pregame move and -1 T aura. However, I've been having a lot of fun with the Canoptek Army of Renown recently as well, though it does really restrict the kinds of units you can take. 

Edited by Tawnis

1st of many painted.

I now have my Command Ed, Recruit Ed, my Kill team, the Doom Stalker, 1 of 2 Lokhust Heavy Destroyers (bought a 2nd one), 3 of the 6 Wraiths and still waiting on 20 more Warriors and the Scarabs

Just need to make the gap lines at the front of the weapon glow green but more or less done to my liking :)

Lokhust #1 - 07.jpg

Lokhust #1 - 08.jpg

Lokhust #1 - 09.jpg

1 minute ago, Tyriks said:

The worn metallic look turned out really good! How are you painting that?

Literally just rough dry brushing

Iron Warriors
Runefang Steel
Brass Scorpion
Fulgerite Copper

Then a good wash of Nuln Oil to tone it down

Then I use Gehenna's Gold on the lettering (with the Lokhust)

Doomstalker is more or less completed

Little touching up here and there, maybe try and do a little more wash/contrast shading

Dunno how to deal with the sort of muddy, sludgy bit of the scenic bits.. The green looks better than painting it brown did but dunno how to make it look good

DS - 04.jpg

DS - 05.jpg

1 hour ago, Tyriks said:

Looking great! How much do you have to paint so far?

I have the Necrons from the Command Edition, the Recruit Edition, the Combat Patrol, an extra box of Immortals, 2 Lokhust Heavy Destroyers, the Doomstalker, 6 Wraiths, I have 2 packets of Imperium 28 and 29 for I believe 20 more warriors?

I picked up a Command Barge fairly cheaply, I've just gotten the Imperium #50 with the Royal Court, and I'm waiting on a Hexmark Destroyer.

Currently bidding on some other bits and pieces.

Oh and have the Kill Team as well, which I bought to add to my 40K army but will leave that til last.

A question for anyone looking at this post

With the Lokhusts and Lokhust Heavies

Would it be worth getting the standard ones and making my heavies squad leaders over having 1 squad of 2-3 heavies on their own?

I assume you can still relegate wounds to the weaker units so that they act as wound sponges yes?

On 3/20/2023 at 1:25 PM, Dark-Storm-01 said:

A question for anyone looking at this post

With the Lokhusts and Lokhust Heavies

Would it be worth getting the standard ones and making my heavies squad leaders over having 1 squad of 2-3 heavies on their own?

I assume you can still relegate wounds to the weaker units so that they act as wound sponges yes?

I've seen both 6 Lohkust + 1 Heavy and 2 or 3 Heavies on their own as viable options- they tend to serve two different purposes though. The large squads are designed as full one obliteration units, taking down heavy infantry squads while having a single anti-tank shot that is covered by the rest of the unit. The twin/triple heavy squad is a designated anti-tank killer, using three powerful shots to bring down Knights or the like. The big squad is a heavier investment of points and tend to be one of the units your army will base itself around (having a Technomancer near to rez/heal and/or an Overlord to give them +1 to Hit), while the heavies on their own are more of a piece that you use if you have a hundred or so extra points and want to add in some long-range shooting.

1 hour ago, Lord_Ikka said:

I've seen both 6 Lohkust + 1 Heavy and 2 or 3 Heavies on their own as viable options- they tend to serve two different purposes though. The large squads are designed as full one obliteration units, taking down heavy infantry squads while having a single anti-tank shot that is covered by the rest of the unit. The twin/triple heavy squad is a designated anti-tank killer, using three powerful shots to bring down Knights or the like. The big squad is a heavier investment of points and tend to be one of the units your army will base itself around (having a Technomancer near to rez/heal and/or an Overlord to give them +1 to Hit), while the heavies on their own are more of a piece that you use if you have a hundred or so extra points and want to add in some long-range shooting.

This is what I was thinking. Might get myself 1 lokhust squadron to have the expandability option.

With the Heavy destroyer I assume the destructor is the heavy tank/knight weapon - this would be the long, single barrel weapon on the sprue yes?

48 minutes ago, Dark-Storm-01 said:

With the Heavy destroyer I assume the destructor is the heavy tank/knight weapon - this would be the long, single barrel weapon on the sprue yes?

Yes, the other weapon is the enimitic exterminator, which at d1 is not really useful for Necrons. If only it was d2...