Minka Lesk (Model/Novel/Omnibus)

3 hours ago, Azaiel said:

Really cool mini, glad to see some more guard characters.

Love the tactic-cool pose with the lasgun but the trigger finger seems a bit odd, maybe its just the angle.

No, it's just weirdly huge. They did this with the Elucidan Starstrider model showing trigger discipline too. Seems odd given some of the fine details on plastic models these days, but I guess there must be some sort of CAD sculpting reason that means it needs to be outsized.

2 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

"Oh no, my imperial guard women aren't sexy, must be something wrong with the sculpt."

Not every female character needs to be attractive.  Average people look... average.

I hear you but I don’t think that GW has in their 40ish years ever sculpted even an average female face. They tend to range from not terrible at best to hideously deformed.

She does sound like an awesome character, but to be fair, the sculpted faces have very little resemblance to the soldier on the book covers.

Will likely purchase one since it’s going to be plastic though. Variety is nice

I like it, except for that weird aye-aye finger on the lasgun hand which I can't unsee. It isn't going to bother me, I want to build her with the sword, but it's very odd. Otherwise a great mini though, and for once I even like the tactical rock. (It's a traitor rock, I suppose.)

4 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

"Oh no, my imperial guard women aren't sexy, must be something wrong with the sculpt."

Not every female character needs to be attractive.  Average people look... average.

No one is saying anything about her needing to be sexy or attractive, but this is supposed to be a model for a specific character and it doesn't look anything like all the depictions of said character's face. It's as simple as that, no need to try and shoehorn in your virtue signalling.

30 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

I have not heard of this character or read the novels.

The model is pretty good. Are the books worthwhile?

They're not bad; they won't change your mind about what tie-in fiction or a 40k novel could be. They're pretty straightforward 40k Imperial Guard military adventure novels. Generally uncomplicated vis a vis characterization and plot set-ups, they do highlight some of the wild out-there 40k imagery and set-pieces. 

13 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

I have not heard of this character or read the novels.

The model is pretty good. Are the books worthwhile?

The first book suffers from being a companion volume to the fall of cadia campaign book from gathering storm, like, its an interesting exercise but it feels like half a book at times, the others than ive read are really good.

13 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

To be honest I'm a little disappointed GW creates a model for a new character that is mostly forgettable when there's so many classic characters from multiple novels we could see.

Shes a decent character and more importantly shes current, theres no point in cross promoting a character who's books are OOP after all. I doubt we will ever see a mini for a character that isnt getting a near simultaneous book release, closest is the slightly anachronistic Eisenhorn.  

18 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

People expect that a character with a feminine face in her artwork will have a similar face on her model. Not an exact replica, but maybe a little less like Austin Powers is about to pull off their wig.

Ursula Creed had this issue as well, but in reverse. The model looks like a female general, but the art looks like angry David Spade. GW just has this problem sometimes with matching things up between their artists and sculptors.

13 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

To be honest I'm a little disappointed GW creates a model for a new character that is mostly forgettable when there's so many classic characters from multiple novels we could see.

She's also the women's day model. I don't keep up at all with the novels but it is likely there aren't that many other female characters that don't already have models they could use as their news for the day. It's nice to see that Warhammer is getting a little more representative that way with their human armies, especially with the SM no girl's allowed club dominating the game in the background (balanced some what by the "eww, boys are gross except the EMPRAH!" SoB)

Although it was announced on International Woman's Day, the model hasn't been released and isn't even clear when the model or books are up for pre-order.

So by the time the model is released, IWD is irrelevant to it.

And besides, there are female characters people would arguably want way before this one. Bequin and Shira Calpurnia are both more recognisable and established as classics.

Why not them, who are more iconic and interesting? 

In fact, the positive response to the Kill Team Arbites (sure I'm biased but they WERE well received) screams for Shira Calpurnia to have received a model. Any company with an ounce of savvy would have tied them together as an easy win.

Not GW though.

That's true, they did a terrible job transferring the art of this recent one to plastic (head in particular). And they've done terrible with the first Ventris head.

Makes you worry about your favourites.

Is it the same sculptor? Because that dude can't do heads, clearly.

Edited by Captain Idaho