Minka Lesk (Model/Novel/Omnibus)

23 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

Although it was announced on International Woman's Day, the model hasn't been released and isn't even clear when the model or books are up for pre-order.

So by the time the model is released, IWD is irrelevant to it.

And besides, there are female characters people would arguably want way before this one. Bequin and Shira Calpurnia are both more recognisable and established as classics.

Why not them, who are more iconic and interesting? 

In fact, the positive response to the Kill Team Arbites (sure I'm biased but they WERE well received) screams for Shira Calpurnia to have received a model. Any company with an ounce of savvy would have tied them together as an easy win.

Not GW though.

I think this is very much a personal bias thing. I really like the character of Minka. As a Guard player, I thought it was cool to have the whole fall of Cadia and its aftermath experienced through the eyes of a Grunt. I haven't read Traitor Rock yet, but enjoyed the other stories.

Bequin would be interesting, but we already have a character from that series, namely Eisenhorn himself. So they'd double up instead of covering more ground.

The other one you mentioned, I've never even heard about, so falls into the same category of "forgettable/irrelevant" for me, that Minka Lesk is for you. These models by nature aren't meant to appeal to everyone, but mainly for the people who read those stories, which probably means sales will factor into it.

As for women's day...the date most likely didn't matter for the sculpt being made, but you can be sure the reveal date was chosen deliberately.

5 minutes ago, sairence said:

As for women's day...the date most likely didn't matter for the sculpt being made, but you can be sure the reveal date was chosen deliberately.

With how closely the sculpt matches the book covers, for the poses and equipment at least, this one had to have been started not long after the art itself was finished.

1 hour ago, sitnam said:

I think it’s a good looking mini, and I’ve really enjoyed Hills series so far. I really don’t see a problem with the face, but I’ve always thought the community complaints about female faces was overblown

It is a decent mini, but does showcase that GW either struggles with female faces or deliberately makes them unattractive for reasons of their own. Check out the heads on reaper minis as an example, while some do have exaggerated features, they are leagues beyond what GW has ever made.

https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/figurefinder+plastic+female/latest

Archon also can do female heads that don't look deformed

https://archon-studio.com/shop/starfinder/231-android-xenoseeker-5901414671297.html#lg=1&slide=0

https://archon-studio.com/shop/starfinder/170-luwazi-elsebo-5901414670405.html#lg=1&slide=0

Edit: Severina Raine is one of GW's exceptions, her face looks normal in her mioni

Edited by Arikel

On 3/8/2023 at 6:04 PM, skylerboodie said:

No one is saying anything about her needing to be sexy or attractive, but this is supposed to be a model for a specific character and it doesn't look anything like all the depictions of said character's face. It's as simple as that, no need to try and shoehorn in your virtue signalling.

"People who disagree with me are virtue signaling"

Have you ever seen a GW model?  Their faces almost NEVER look like artwork.

2 hours ago, sairence said:

I think this is very much a personal bias thing. I really like the character of Minka. As a Guard player, I thought it was cool to have the whole fall of Cadia and its aftermath experienced through the eyes of a Grunt. I haven't read Traitor Rock yet, but enjoyed the other stories.

Bequin would be interesting, but we already have a character from that series, namely Eisenhorn himself. So they'd double up instead of covering more ground.

The other one you mentioned, I've never even heard about, so falls into the same category of "forgettable/irrelevant" for me, that Minka Lesk is for you. These models by nature aren't meant to appeal to everyone, but mainly for the people who read those stories, which probably means sales will factor into it.

Definitely a personal bias preference there. But that is kinda my point really, as more "classic" books have more fans etc.

Anyway, if GW fixed the head like they did with Ventris, through virtue of listening to feedback I would end up automatically thinking this miniature is a win!

(Hint hint GW!)

6 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

"People who disagree with me are virtue signaling"

Making up quotes is fun, but if you want to argue with yourself, that can be done alone in a dark room. Or better yet, in public where it might get uploaded to youtube.

8 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

Have you ever seen a GW model?  Their faces almost NEVER look like artwork.

The latest Raven Guard Joytoy, for example, looks like Riann Wilson from The Office.

Can we say that without people making remarks about the community's overblown reaction to male faces?

• 4 months later...