About Scout squad

I always love Space Marine Scouts and a friend of mine gifted me a bunch of them. I have with shotguns, bolter, close combat weapon and bolt pistol, and my favorites of all, snipers.

What is the best way to use them? I prefer use them as snipers with Nemesis bolters but they lack the option of auspex (recon can have one).

Edited by AGRAMAR

Unfortunately scouts will have a tough time nowadays. Recon marines can do everything they can, but with 3+ saves and Line. 

Snipers are the best option. At range they’ll be a lot safer. They get better cover saves thanks to skirmish, so as long as they’re in a ruin or something they should last a while. 

2 hours ago, Mandragola said:

Unfortunately scouts will have a tough time nowadays. Recon marines can do everything they can, but with 3+ saves and Line. 

Snipers are the best option. At range they’ll be a lot safer. They get better cover saves thanks to skirmish, so as long as they’re in a ruin or something they should last a while. 

Yeah, agree with this here. The Shotgun / Melta Bombs option is better with Recon Marines. 

Nemesis Bolters in the backfield and cover - you opponent isn't going to initially worry about targeting them because, well they're Scouts, but if they're positioned well and in cover, they should get a few good turns of shooting off and force some sort of response, which even if they're wiped out Turn 3 or 4, they should have made their points back and more.

Scouts are undermined by recons scoring, otherwise it'd be the consideration of durability vs cheapness and maneuverability.

They'd be better if outflank was less restrictive, as dumping a bunch of disruptive units across the backline/flanks ready to cause problems would work really well for them. But they all come in from the same point, so the threat is singular. And they're really squishy so reactions gobble them. 

At first glance, it seems like the purest laughing stock.

4+ pants, doesn't score, can't even become a scoring unit via the Rite of War Recon Company.

So what's the point?

Well, I think there is a purpose there. Ten man unit, all melterbombs and shotguns and then play as an outflank unit. That way they can swallow the intercepting fire they draw coming in and still be a fire hazard to all vehicles. On top of that they are skirmish and get +1 to cover, movement 8 and are not slowed down by difficult terrain. Meaning: show up somewhere near the enemy's dangerous vehicles in their ass, dart eight inches into cover, endure defensive fire and then make a mess of the vehicle. Costs only 155 points per unit. Opinions? :cool:

Edited by Gorgoff

12 hours ago, Gorgoff said:

At first glance, it seems like the purest laughing stock.

4+ pants, doesn't score, can't even become a scoring unit via the Rite of War Recon Company.

So what's the point?

Well, I think there is a purpose there. Ten man unit, all melterbombs and shotguns and then play as an outflank unit. That way they can swallow the intercepting fire they draw coming in and still be a fire hazard to all vehicles. On top of that they are skirmish and get +1 to cover, movement 8 and are not slowed down by difficult terrain. Meaning: show up somewhere near the enemy's dangerous vehicles in their ass, dart eight inches into cover, endure defensive fire and then make a mess of the vehicle. Costs only 155 points per unit. Opinions? :cool:

Not a bad option, indeed. I like them in a role of snipers with a 6 to 8 miniatures in the unit. Cheap, easy to hide and deploy and you can recover the inversion and get benefits killing or pining targets.

But that is also a very good option. I like to destroy tanks with meltas! And don't forget shroud bombs. Very useful.

Hummm, I'm taking notes...

Edited by AGRAMAR