Hive Fleet Styx

Filius

The Great Devourer … the great darkness among the stars … the Hive Fleets … the Tyranids are one of the most unique Aspects of Warhammer 40.000 and probably the single Faction, that has the most attraction for me. All the others … they are just there to fight the Tyranids. So about :cuss:ing time to get my own flavour of them. Say hello to Hive Fleet Styx!

photo_2023-03-0910_41_23.thumb.jpeg.88e49d34f46a6abdada2693dd4cfb565.jpeg

photo_2023-03-0910_41_29.thumb.jpeg.6cc89f0ad048543756d6a3d089192673.jpeg

photo_2023-03-0910_41_33.thumb.jpeg.ff9c4a93acdf55a829583b7370c5f900.jpeg

Colour Scheme

I will do some tests on differenz colour schemes, but I already do have 8 Genestealer, where I apllied Mengles Genestealer Recipte using contrast paints, plus I already bought some holographic nail flakes, after I saw that Video of Midwinter Minis.

Army Composition

As I mentioned, I already have Genestealers, 16 of them I bought and built for Kill-Team. The Termagants you see above, are from the Vanguard-Box. And I already ordered the Boardin Action Box, So I'll end up with Flying Hive Tyrant, Broodlord, 9 Tyranid Warriors, 36 Termagants, 24 Genestealers and 3 Ripper Swarms.

I never like the Termagants, but after building them yesterday, I totally changed my mind and already consider adding more of the to the army. But I'm wise enought to see, what I think about that idea, after I finished painting them, hehe.

Fluff

I also do have some Fluff already …

As the dark colour scheme and the dark name suggest, the Hive Fleet Styx mostly stays in the shadows. Although they have devoured whole Systems after arriving in the Milkyway, they quickly disappeared afterwards from that part of space, just to appear somewhere else again. And … the Imperiums foremost contact with Hive Fleet Styx is not through regular Invasion, but more in the form of infestations of Space Hulks and inhabited worlds. Interestingly, the infested worlds don’t have anything in common. Some worlds were densely populated, some were Forge Worlds, but some were also almost barren and even Death Worlds are among Styx’s preys.

Scout organisms of Styx have even been found on worlds that have been invaded and stripped of almost all live by other Hive Fleets. It almost seems like Hive Fleet Styx is searching for something, but nobody can guess what that might be …

Welcome to the Hive! You've maybe picked the best time ever to start with nids, as the rumoured 10th ed boxed set has them in, with a bunch of new stuff. 

The gaunt swarm looks awesome, just remember to break them up with painting other models or you might go crazy :D, contrasts I think will be they key there to make things go quickly. How close to both of those tutorials do you plan on going?

Thanks! And: Uuuh … I hadn't heard the rumor yet. Great!

Regarding the Painting: I did my Genestealers like this …

1. Prime Wraithbone
  2. Leviathan Purple for almost ever part of the body, except head, hands, feet and the joints those cracks in the armour
  3. Black Templar about the Leviathan Purple
  4. Clean up some parts with Wraithbone
  5. Magos Purple for the softer parts
  6. Some Blood Angels Red around the head and claws
  7. 'Ardcoat above everything black.
  8. Base
  9. Done!

I'm quite happy with the results, but I do consider adding holographic Nail Flakes on the harder part of the carapace. And maybe It try and use Carroburg Crimson instead of Magos Purple. I saw that somewhere else and actually like painting with Shades only quite a lot. It's like watercolors, hihi.

The most tricky part was, to clean up those cracks in the armour with Wraithbone, so the Magos Purple would pop out.

It took me just 2 or 3 hours to paint all 8 Genestealers that way.

photo_2023-03-0911_33_51.thumb.jpeg.09d4ff6492c29576c89825d2d0b33012.jpeg

It's not the best I can do, painting-wise, but it's my second Army and my 2nd-editionish Space Wolves Colour-Scheme is already enough "as good as I can". So it's totally okay for me, if the Tyranid Army is just okayish painted.

P.S.: I will also try priming them black first, to see see if that's significantly easier, with this colour-scheme.

Edited by Filius

Ah. Yeah! That's the reason, why I consider another colour scheme: Prime with Wraithbone, then add a very few colours with thinned down washes, mostly in blue, pink and purple, add some edge-highlights with white scar and then add 'ardcoat on the carapce areas. I'm quite curious how that would turn out … I promise to post pictures.

The fact alone that you can always take the colours direktly from the pot speeds things up sooo much. I did a lot of terrain last year almost only using Washes. That was so much fun, that I considerd becoming a wash-only-miniature painter for a moment, hehe.

• 3 months later...

… and I had my first Battle as a Tyranid Player, with 30 Teragants and 15 Genestealer (about 500 Points), and at the same time my first Battle in 10th. We played just Last-Man-Standing, without a Mission and Strategems.

photo_2023-06-1909_14_52.thumb.jpeg.f179671b4b9d015725537d774063cdfc.jpeg

photo_2023-06-1909_14_56.thumb.jpeg.b458ac757cc42095a014a1e75221bd47.jpeg

I was obviously destined to lose, as I had no way to cope with his chaos-dreadnought … but it was a lot of fun anyway. And I loved seeing my colour scheme in big numbers on the table.

The new rules are great. The game was much smoother than the 8th and 9th edition battles I had. I loooove the Index-Cards. We hardly ever had to look up anything else.

Genestealers with 2 wounds are great. One unit of them had to charge across the open battlefield, while a whole squad of havocs and heretic astartes were shooting on them, and two made it into melee. Plus: Most of the time I had one with one lost wound still on the battlefield. Love it.

20 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

Love your scheme, and thanks for the mini take on 10th. I'm happy to hear that it works in practice :smile:

Thanks! The hologrpahic nails flakes really turned out great. I love the effect on the table. Plus: I didn't spend that much time on the termagants: just about 9 hours for all 36 of them till here (base is missing, but after that I'll call them battle ready).

4 hours ago, Filius said:

And I loved seeing my colour scheme in big numbers on the table.

For me, I think Tyranids are one of the best looking armies when on the table. Other armies have great looking individual models, but a well painted nid horde opposite you is an intimidating thing of beauty. 

Great to see the progress - the hive needs some anti tank weapons! 

46 minutes ago, Filius said:

Thanks! The hologrpahic nails flakes really turned out great. I love the effect on the table. Plus: I didn't spend that much time on the termagants: just about 9 hours for all 36 of them till here (base is missing, but after that I'll call them battle ready).

9 hours is a great time for them :smile: I didn't even notice they weren’t based till you said it :laugh:

• 7 months later...

I forgot to do a family photograph of the current state of Hive Fleet Styx at the end of the year …

styx-2023-01.thumb.jpg.01a1a846535347d71d2923d25c126516.jpg

styx-2023-02.thumb.jpg.b7ba6643e0e0069f93f4b5877bb6a12d.jpg

styx-2023-03.thumb.jpg.7428f9f0721360fd7702731873591bf4.jpg

styx-2023-04.thumb.jpg.ffc76ca75154ed5e56b159e216685cc8.jpg

styx-2023-05.thumb.jpg.6a2afd4f1c7dca925907668c8df30e91.jpg

It’s not much, but it also didn’t take too much time. And I am very, very happy with the results. I am especially happy about the colour scheme and the use of the Holographic Nail Flakes. Right now I have …

• 36 Termagaunt with Spinefists
  • 16 Genestealers

… which is 52 Minis in one year. Which is quite nice, considering the fact, that I only get to paint the army, when I spend time together with my godson, (and we both decide to work on our co-project), which was only 4 days last year.

And these bugs are still inline for building and painting …

• 8 more Genestealers
  • 9 Tyranid Warriors
  • 1 Broodlord
  • 1 Hive Tyrant / Swarmlord

I really love to hear suggestions on the Loadout for the Tyranid Warrios and the Tyrand / Swarmlord. I tend to Melee, but … you probably know how these decisions are …

looking good! id say with tyrant look into if you can pick up a cheap second torso for it then you can make 2 out of the same kit. can usually pick up a printed torso for about £10

id then say build one as a flyrant and the other, magnetise. have that to be a swarmlord or regular tyrant. failing that imho the regular tyrant is currently the best though that may change...