Fury of the ancients & primarchs

Misterduch
Go to solution Solved by SkimaskMohawk,

As per the Fury of the ancients ROW it says you have to take a single contemptor as your compulsory HQ and give it the Venerable ancient upgrade, said upgrade states that the bearer has to be your warlord.

The ROW limits your consul picks, fast attack & heavy support picks, prohibits fortifications and lords of war.

However it doesn't state that you cannot take a primarch, which brings us to the question at hand. As the Primarch unit type states any models with such a type have to be your warlord, This would conflict with the Venerable ancient upgrade in a weird way where both have to be your warlord but neither explicitly state you cannot use the other.

I was suprised to not find anything about it in the errata, as it would seem logical to me to assume that the primarch limitation would be added to the fury of the ancients by now, So the question is how do you properly rule on this?

On one hand neither a Primarch or Fury of the ancients limits you taking the other, but on the other hand it gives us 2 characters that both must be the warlord. I have 1 person in my group who thinks this should exclude FoA users from use of primarch while the local IH players say that you pick 1 to be your warlord and be done with it.

How would you folks rule on it?

• Solution

This is hidden away in page 14 of the Libers:

In some cases, a model will have a special rule that dictates that the model in question must be selected as the Warlord, such as a Primarch. When this is the case, that model is always the Warlord regardless of any other factors. An army may not include more than one model that must be selected as the Warlord, unless another special rule contains an exception to this rule.

So if both the primarch and the venerable have to be warlord, and the venerable has to be taken in Fury for it to even function, it kinda precludes the primarch from being taken in Fury.