500 points on tanks

Valkyrion

You have around 500 points to spend on tanks, up to and including Typhon and Cerberus.

What do you buy to kill;

1) Standard infantry (T4, 1 wound, 3+ save)

2) elite infantry (e.g, 2+ save, or multi-wound, or T5 etc)

3) Dreadnoughts

4) other tanks

5) super heavy vehicles and knights

1) 4 Scorpius

2) 4 Scorpius/2 Arcus

3) 3 Neutron Blaster Predators? Concussive and Shock Pulse for WS and Snap Shots

4) 3 Melta Predators

5) Cerberus?

Well those are some seriously varied options.

Personally I think you'll cover most bases with melta predators. They've got a respectably high rate of fire with an excellent anti-pretty-much-anything profile. They'll instant kill MEQ stuff, strip wounds of Custodes and even provide a serious threat to things like Spartans if they come within 18" (or a lot more than that, given the predator's speed).

The Neutron laser seems vastly worse to me. One shot, not twin-linked just seems like an extremely easy way to fail. It's just a bad vehicle in my opinion, in any scenario.

The Arcus is great for killing infantry and dreadnoughts but not heavy vehicles. Point for point I think I prefer the Predators because they're more versatile.

A Scorpius is an entirely different proposition. By all means sit one of these behind your lines. But it's more a disruptor than a killer. It will kill models and occasionally pin stuff but won't tend to wipe out squads and isn't much help against hard targets.

The Cerberus is good against hard targets and it's quite tough. It's very hard to kill at range and can suppress stuff. It isn't as killy as equivalent points of predators though.

1 hour ago, Mandragola said:

A Scorpius is an entirely different proposition. By all means sit one of these behind your lines. But it's more a disruptor than a killer. It will kill models and occasionally pin stuff but won't tend to wipe out squads and isn't much help against hard targets.

The Scorpius only needs to hit 4 models to average the same amount of ap2 wounds as the melta pred. Obviously single models only take 1 hit, but against units it certainly is a killer. 

• 3 weeks later...

1) Standard infantry (T4, 1 wound, 3+ save) - 2x Punisher w/4x heavy bolters. That's 36 S6 shell shock shots and 32 heavy bolter shots with 100pts left over. 

2) elite infantry (e.g, 2+ save, or multi-wound, or T5 etc) 3x melta/las preds, or 2x arcus

3) Dreadnoughts 3x melta/las preds, or 2x arcus or melta/Las Kratos with flare

4) other tanks 3x melta/las preds as they won't get return fired. 

5) super heavy vehicles and knights 3x melta/las preds