The “Unique” Rule

General Zodd
Go to solution Solved by OnyxUltraKnight,

This will no doubt be blindingly obvious once someone points it out to me, but where are the rules to define what “Unique” means as a unit sub-type? I’m sure I’ve seen it somewhere, but I now can’t find it, and I’m wondering if I am misremembering it from previous editions…

The key question I’m interested in is what additional upgrades are allowed for unique named characters. I’ve got Fafnir Rann in my Imperial Fist collection, and until I convert up my own Praetor, he’s my only Master of the Legion. I want to run a Hammerfall force, and wondered if I’m allowed to give him the Teleport Strike Imperial Fist wargear for 20, or at worst, the RoW upgrade for 30. But I can’t find whether or not I can give unique characters further upgrades!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please and thank you.

• Solution

Liber Astartes: Page 95:

Unique Sub-type

The following rules apply to all models with the Unique Sub-type:

• An army not not include more than a single instance of a unit with this Sub-type. For example, if Unit A and Unit B both have the Unique Sub-type then a single army could only contain one of Unit A and one of Unit B, but no more than one of either unit.
  • A model or unit composed entirely of models with the Unique Sub-type may not select any options other than those included on its Army List Profile (this includes Legion specific Wargear for models with the Legiones Astartes (X) special rule).

To answer the question, it looks like RAW: No, Fafnir cannot be upgraded to take the Teleport Strike Wargear, or be upgraded to take the Deep Strike Rule, as it is not listed as part of his default Profile (sadly).

22 minutes ago, OnyxUltraKnight said:

To answer the question, it looks like RAW: No, Fafnir cannot be upgraded to take the Teleport Strike Wargear, or be upgraded to take the Deep Strike Rule, as it is not listed as part of his default Profile (sadly).

Disappointing, but I suspected as much. Thanks for tracking that down, I didn’t even think to look under the sub-types in the Liber books, it must be listed in every single one of them?! Why wouldn’t it be in the rulebook?!

But I appreciate you finding it for me, thanks again!

Actually, now I come to think of it, I could still give him a retinue and the retinue could take the RoW Deepstrike, right?

On 3/11/2023 at 1:31 PM, Valkyrion said:

No, I don't think so. Deep Strike isn't conferred to other units. Rann himself still wouldn't have deep strike, and he'd have to be deployed with his retinue. 

I think, anyway.

There is a problem in the rules with that.

First a Charakter and Retinue are one unit and the Retinue has weapon options etc.

So you dont buy the teleport upgrade for the Retinue not your unique charakter.

This rule is a bit of a mess. You probably should be able to buy deep strike for Fafnir Rann but you can't. If there was good FAQ/errata support for Heresy it's something I'd ask clarified, because it doesn't make sense that any Fist other than the special characters can deep strike.

This does bring up the question of: Can we give Exodus wargear that isnt listed on his Datasheet since he lacks the "Unique" Sub-Type (On top of this allowing you to be able to take multiples)

1 hour ago, Slips said:

This does bring up the question of: Can we give Exodus wargear that isnt listed on his Datasheet since he lacks the "Unique" Sub-Type (On top of this allowing you to be able to take multiples)

Sure. You even can take him twice if you want to. :thumbsup:

41 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

I remember when 1st was missing a clause for special characters and unique Legion gear. Some annoying stuff happened like cameleoline corax.

It opens up door which should stay closed.