21st 'Cursed' Founding Mutation Ideas

1 hour ago, Gamiel said:

Is there a special reason for them only using clones? And are they all clones of the same person, or a group of persons that are cloned?

Also, do the Heralds of Devastation get Cursed Knigts and Abominations among their marines? 

1- No, this how they were founded, for them it is the way it has always been. The DNA was taken from the founding training cadre. The marines themselves are only know by number until they complete their training in the Scout Company. Upon earning their power armour and place within the greater companies they may choose a name for themselves.

2- No, besides the general bad-luck at a Chapter level, the geneseed is stable due to the experimentation with the founding taking place on the recipients rather than the geneseed itself.

EDIT: FWIW, the are Dark Angels via Angels of Absolution.

Edited by Grotsmasha

16 minutes ago, Grotsmasha said:

No, this how they were founded, for them it is the way it has always been. The DNA was taken from the founding training cadre. The marines themselves are only know by number until they complete their training in the Scout Company. Upon earning their power armour and place within the greater companies they may choose a name for themselves.

I would have that their names is the "clone-primes" name with a number behind (the amount of previous clones from that prime who was capable of becoming full marines) and then they will get a deed name with time. But that’s just me.

23 minutes ago, Grotsmasha said:

EDIT: FWIW, the are Dark Angels via Angels of Absolution.

Just wondering, do they know this, and if so how did they find out? Since the 21th was very secret with the creation possess and it was unknown for a long time if the e.g. Lamenters was BA successors or Black Dragons were Salamanders.

2 hours ago, Gamiel said:

I would have that their names is the "clone-primes" name with a number behind (the amount of previous clones from that prime who was capable of becoming full marines) and then they will get a deed name with time. But that’s just me.

I don't mind this idea, I'll have a look at incorporating it.

2 hours ago, Gamiel said:

Just wondering, do they know this, and if so how did they find out? Since the 21th was very secret with the creation possess and it was unknown for a long time if the e.g. Lamenters was BA successors or Black Dragons were Salamanders.

I haven't (and probably won't) introduced any questions over their geneseed, but their belief of DA geneseed is based on the AoA training cadre, and their choice to disclose the Fallen, and include the HoD in the Hunt.

On 3/25/2023 at 8:01 AM, Gamiel said:

A gene-line specefic one for the Blood Angels:

My own expansion ideas:

1. The Hungera far worse evolution of the Red Thirst. Members of this chapter are stricken with a hunger for flesh, often seen eating limbs and marrow after a battle. In some cases, they have even been seen eating the brains of those they have slain.

2. The Blood Bond: a specific mutation of the Red Thirst that means that members can only sate their thirst with the blood of one another, which at many makes them more reliant on one another, but other times they may turn on one another.

3. Undying. (see previous posts of mine for this one.)

4. Unnatural Physiology: members of this chapter can survive a concerning long time without food, drink, or even air.

5. Red Calling: members of this chapter are not stricken with the Red Thirst, but instead their own blood is a powerful healing agent that they feel compelled to supply to the people of worlds they are on. In truth, the longer they go without donating blood, the more violent they become, leading to erratic behaviour and rage.

6. Haemophilia: members of this chapter have blood that does not coagulate. They probably die a lot.

7. Greying Hair, without blood, this chapter's hair turns grey. Thankfully, drinking it will return it to its original color.

8. Nosferatooth: these marines have shark like teeth arranged in a rodentine manner.

9. Ex Aliquo ad Nihilum: Slain chapter members dissolve into mist, leaving only armor and gene seed bits behind.

10. The White Thirst... inb4 Slaaneshi traitoris chapter kek

8 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

I haven't (and probably won't) introduced any questions over their geneseed, but their belief of DA geneseed is based on the AoA training cadre, and their choice to disclose the Fallen, and include the HoD in the Hunt.

I suggest having that they did not originally know their gene-line but after an campaign where they fought alongside the AoA did the AoA realise they shared the same geneseed. Leading to the AoA becoming the HoD's "mentors" in the ways of the Unforgiven.

I'll pop back in for this discussion. I had  this idea of a 'quasimodo' type chapter for years, jotted notes down but never got close to publishing any of it. It is a Cursed Founding Chapter that has an overactive "Ossmodula" gland causing 'Hyper-Regeneration'. This gland is responsible for increasing bone density and improving the body's ability to heal injuries. While it is common for Space Marines to regenerate from wounds at a remarkable rate, those created during this Founding suffer from an overactive healing factor that causes their bodies to constantly regenerate, even from fatal injuries, leading to grotesque mutations and a never-ending cycle of pain and suffering. If said Chapter becomes hyper-fixated on their hyper-regeneration; causing them to feel every injury they receive, they may become fixated on their injuries to the point of distraction. They may become more cautious in combat, or even hesitant to engage in combat at all, for fear of sustaining injuries.

Edit: The mere idea of this got me off the couch to put it all together

Edited by Minigiant

• 3 weeks later...

Sanguinem Sable

Symbol: Three black blood drops

Colours: Armour is red with green helmet, pauldrons and backpack. Black blooddrop symbols and bling is common.

A bit too wilful in their interaction with other imperial forces, a bit to open in their use of the subhuman creatures that were the survivors of the aspirants that did not take their implants without mutation, that made the Sanguinem Sable censured. Their unwillingness to accept their punishment made them renegades and hunted by the Imperium.

Four thousand years later the Sanguinem Sable are still alive. Having survived by keeping to the boarders of imperial space, making raids and disappearing as fast as possibly or ones their advantage have been lost.

They are still wilful and unwilling to serve anybody but themselves. While they swear no allegiance to any god, greater-daemon, or warlord do they ally with other, but as allies they are mercurial, know to ignore orders or change the plan for no other reason than to show their independence.

The chapter’s corrupted gene-seed give its members blood so dark it appears black, and as the members age their eyes turn more and more black. It also gives them two mutating curses. One is a high failure rate during the aspirant process, with many of the aspirants mutating into feral, hunched forms called Thinbloods by the chapter. The Thinbloods are animalistic and bestial but at the same time disturbingly human in their ability for planning and at least simple tool use, they are also capable of following orders from their unmutated brothers. The other one is that even a battle-brother that have successfully finished the process of becoming a Space Marnie can begin to mutate into feral forms, known as Blackhearts. But unlike the Thinbloods do Blackhearts keep their intellect and understandings (if now fighting against feral instincts) and their bodies are still able to use their armour (if in notably modified form). The Chapter see those mutants as kin and fight alongside them, something they did even before their exile and the reason why they were censured to begin with.

Thanks to mostly staying in real space and not indulging in warpcraft are most Sanguinem Sable unmarked by Warp mutation, or at least more severe such.

[The Sanguinem Sable follow the rules of Unaligned Chaos Space Marines, with the added rules that they may field Cursed Knights*, Abominations*, Thinblood (troops) and Blackhearts (elite), and that they can not have any cult troops,

* count as CSM instead of SM for all rule purpose, and Cursed Knights lose their “And they shall know no fear”.

For Thinbloods use the rules for Ur-Ghuls but they are affected by any Sanguinem Sable HQ, Character or item’s leadership auras. Kitbash/convert from Ur-Ghuls and AoS’ Crypt Ghouls.

For Blackhearts use the rules for Wulfen but they count as CSM instead of SM for all rules where that is important. Kitbash/convert from the Wulfen.]

Blood Tridents

Seldom recorded in imperial archives, it’s believed that the Blood Tridents mostly hunt pirates and raiders, often leaving the pirate ships gutted of anything useful, including crew-population (that’s theorised they turn into corpse-starch, servitors, chapter-serfs, and recruits). The few times they have fought together with other imperial forces they have been described as master of the teleportation attack, they arrive into combat covered unearthly frost, their armour shielded in protective glyphs and charms. How they do this seemingly without the use of a teleportation-homer in many cases has lead to interest from the Inquisition. As have been the rumours of the chapter using monsters against their enemies.

Symbol: a trident head in red

Colours: Purple with split copper-green and purple head and backpack, and copper-green left pauldron, arm and leg

Rules: count as Legion of the Damned, with the added rule that a Blood Tridents force (no matter it’s size) can and most have a Librarian in it.

[the mutation is a Warp sense that makes it possible for the chapter’s Librarians to guide teleportation without any kind of homer or beckon. Possibly do also “normal” members of the chapter travel easier through the Warp when teleporting than other marines.]

Qilin Warriors

Like how the Lamenters are speculated to be an attempt to breed out the deficiencies of Sanguinius’ gene-stock, are the Qilin Warriors theorised to be something similar for Leaman Russ strain of gene-seed. If so, is the end result questionable if it can count as a success. For while they are less animalistic than the Space Wolves and their gene-seed can be implanted without problems in non-Fenrisian humans, do the Qilin Warriors suffer from a bloodlust going beyond even the furious Space Wolves.

In combat they are constantly moving forward, constantly attacking, not always carrying if they should be able to take down their target or if it’s an enemy or ally. This is the reason for the recently ended hundred years penitent crusade among the Segmentum Tempestus’ Halo Stars.

Symbol: a qilin head in yellow with blue horns and moustache.

Colours: Yellow with red left pauldron and arm.

Rules: count as Minotaurs

Brothers of Baal

Closer to the sons of Sanguinius then their fellow Unforgiven, and follow the Blood Angels heraldic system. Have repeatedly lost their full 1th company, having led to the Dark Angels, or a fellow successor of theirs, having seconded some of their veterans to help guide them until a new core of 1th company veterans have been formed – or in the cases where such time have gone between the loss of the 1th company and their fellow Unforgiven finding out about it and sending help have been so long that a new 1th company have already begun to form, do they show them the secrets and rituals of their gene-line that they are expected to know and honour. Despite this do the Brothers of Baal lack any close relationship among their gene-seed kin.

As if the repeated loss of their 1th company was not enough to damage the Chapter’s understanding of itself and its history so have their Librarium also repeatedly been damaged. The Brothers of Baal have come to melancholic acceptance about their curse and that they will bit by bit lose their history, either by once again losing their 1th company or by damage to their Librarium.

Symbol: The alchemical symbol for brimstone.

Colours: Quartered green and red (non-dark for both colours), their Terminators are fully green. Follow the Blood Angels heraldic system. Variations using black coloured areas have been seen. [Cursed Knights are marked out with black helmets, backpacks and right pauldrons, and Abominations are fully black beside their left pauldron, usually with the markings of the Death Company (like the red X) here and there. 1th company members are fully green beside their left pauldron, when in Terminator armour or when on mission to capture a Fallen. For modelling use the Blood Angels upgrade kits and bits, with a pinch of Dark Angels bits spread out.]

Rules: count as Lamenters. Can’t take more than one squad of terminators and can’t take more than all-in-all twenty veterans (this includes veteran sergeants, terminator units and anything from 1th company). Unlike other Cursed Founding Chapters can they have allies, as long as they are Veterans or Deathwing from a Chapter using the Dark Angels rules.

• 2 weeks later...

Concept: A Blood Angels successor who have mutated to be even more vampiric.

Many of their implants have changed significantly in function or become entirely nonfunctional and atrophied.

They don't need to eat, they don't need to sleep, they don't even need to breath, but only as long as they drink blood.

And thus their need to drink blood is not merely psychological, but it's actually real.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mutant Chapter Idea:

Space Marine who, due to a mutation in their gene seed, or perhaps some other reason, end up coming out of the space marine process looking like a regular human being externally, but are just as strong and fast as their fellow space marines. This allows them to blend in with regular humans, but means their power armor would need to be tailored to them specifically (which is totally doable, by the way, even regular humans can pilot terminator armor, for example)

This chapter culturally most likely would be far more social with the populations of the worlds they defended than most chapters, because they would retain slightly more of their own humanity.

• 1 month later...

So I don't know if this thread is dead yet but I read a few of the posts. Good ideas that could use some polish.

Figured I'd drop an idea of my own making. 

+Delta Marine Chapter+

Secretive chapter of Raven Guard origin. Specializing in jump assault alpha strikes and drop pod strikes. Favor stragetems that focus on quick rapid assaults to avoid major losses of their siblings. 

In addition to the usual Raven Guard mutations, Deltas apparently develop androgenous traits as they undergo gene seed implantations. By the time they receive the black carapace, they would display a mix of toughness and gentleness, with assertive and nurturing behavior toward their aspirants. Many have longer shinier hair then typical sons of corax and many practice war painting their faces to improve their Coraxian heritage. 

Basically, their entire chapter is Ziggy stardust mixed with Kiss. 

Edited by Brother Hellion
Changing font.

On 11/13/2023 at 11:46 PM, Brother Hellion said:

So I don't know if this thread is dead yet but I read a few of the posts. Good ideas that could use some polish.

Figured I'd drop an idea of my own making. 

+Delta Marine Chapter+

Secretive chapter of Raven Guard origin. Specializing in jump assault alpha strikes and drop pod strikes. Favor stragetems that focus on quick rapid assaults to avoid major losses of their siblings.  

I'd happily read about these guys. I have a Delta Warriors colour scheme somewhere if you wish to inherit it.

Cambrius

Edited by Brother Cambrius
+ Suffer not the Typo to live! +

I have some Cursed Founding questions and something related to foundings in general. Who trains Space Marines in these secretive foundings? I assume they start without a core of veterans from the parent chapter or related gene-line. Can a chapter be raised without the parent chapter knowing gene-seed from their line was used? 

Edited by MoriyaSchism

Seems

30 minutes ago, MoriyaSchism said:

trains Space Marines in these secretive foundings? 

We don't know. The Cursed Founding was at least partly, if not fully, sponsored by a faction of the Inquisition (Thorians is the IU suspects) so they likley had the means to do it all themselves.

33 minutes ago, MoriyaSchism said:

Can a chapter be raised without the parent chapter knowing gene-seed from their line was used? 

Based on the 13th and 21st: yes. 

There are also all those chapters that IU are of unknown gene-seed that neither themselves nor outsides know from where they came. Indicating that the "daddy" was not informed. ...or, now when I think about it, just that the information had been lost on both sides and the chapters did not keep contact. 

The training being done with the aid of the Inquisition and the secretive nature of the whole project gives me some freedom on how to design my chapter. I think I'm going to go with the parent chapter not knowing that their gene-seed tithe was used to create a modified chapter.

21 hours ago, Brother Hellion said:

Send me a link when your up to it. I would gladly take a look.

gallery_26154_1503_120141.jpg

Here it be, was on old scheme I put together waaay back when I first got into the hobby.

Cambrius

On 11/30/2023 at 12:23 AM, Brother Hellion said:

I like the scheme. May alter a few things like the chapter emblem. That looks like a triforce

Hah yeah I created it long before I discovered what The Legend of Zelda and the Triforce was. :teehee: It's yours to adjust as you see fit!

Cambrius