2 questions about rogue traders/ elucidian starstriders...

Hi Frater,

Two quick questions I've been struggling to find answers to

1. Are there any Black Library books featuring the Elucidian Starstriders from the kill team box? I've got their little mini codex that came in the original kill team box, but would like to know if there's anything more on them

2. I'm looking at putting together a little campaign for the starstriders, mostly in kill team but I want to add some Aeronautica Imperialis as well. What sorts of ships would be most suitable for them? I know that the whole "rogue traders can do pretty much whatever they want" can justify any ships, but are there some key practical constraints of which I should be aware? At the moment I'm leaning towards a box of lightings (1 each for the 5 voidsmen) and a thunderhawk to carry the rogue trader and the rest of her retinue. My understanding is that there is some precedent for mortals being able to pilot a thunderhawk, but fluffwise would a space marine chapter just let a rogue trader commandeer one? I know Valkyries are an option but I think I want something a bit beefier. I also know you can usually mix navy and astartes units in AI - it will be a fun house rule for the campaign

Cheers

Good questions. I honestly don't know about the books- I don't remember reading anything with the Starstriders in it, but there very well could be. I'll look later and see if I can find anything.

Anything Imperial Navy would work for Rogue Traders, they can get Navy stuff lot easier than they would be able to get Astartes equipment. Rather than a Thunderhawk, maybe a pair of Storm Eagles would work for your RT- ancient orbital assault transports gifted from the AdMech for a dangerous, secret task that was completed by the trader's ancestors. Storm Eagles aren't as iconic as a Thunderhawk, so less likely to attract unwelcome attention from Astartes (the Inquisition is known to have a variant called the Spiderwidow), and would be a good set of space-capable ships for moving about.

Edited by Lord_Ikka

On 3/11/2023 at 8:39 PM, Wrath of Bruinen said:

Hi Frater,

Two quick questions I've been struggling to find answers to

1. Are there any Black Library books featuring the Elucidian Starstriders from the kill team box? I've got their little mini codex that came in the original kill team box, but would like to know if there's anything more on them

2. I'm looking at putting together a little campaign for the starstriders, mostly in kill team but I want to add some Aeronautica Imperialis as well. What sorts of ships would be most suitable for them? I know that the whole "rogue traders can do pretty much whatever they want" can justify any ships, but are there some key practical constraints of which I should be aware? At the moment I'm leaning towards a box of lightings (1 each for the 5 voidsmen) and a thunderhawk to carry the rogue trader and the rest of her retinue. My understanding is that there is some precedent for mortals being able to pilot a thunderhawk, but fluffwise would a space marine chapter just let a rogue trader commandeer one? I know Valkyries are an option but I think I want something a bit beefier. I also know you can usually mix navy and astartes units in AI - it will be a fun house rule for the campaign

Cheers

As far as i know there are no books featuring the Starstriders themselves. Marc Collin's recent novel Void King is a good look at a Rogue Trader house and worth a read.

For the second question, it is pretty much justifiable for a Rogue Trader to field almost anything. Obviously some are more likely than others, but there are examples in the background of Rogue Traders working with pretty much everyone. Remember that having a Thunderhawk doesnt necessarily mean its been commandeered/stolen/found somewhere, Marines accompanying Rogue Traders is well established- It is afterall how 40k started off. So your Thunderhawk could have a couple of Marines flying it as part of an honour oath or similar to the Rogue Trader.