40 years of Warhammer - Clash of the Warlord Titans

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/15/40-years-of-warhammer-clash-of-the-warlord-titans/

8IDRDfpfEDKi3GaS.jpg

Some folks on dakkadakka have noted the use of the word "abeyance", which means a state of temporary disuse or suspension, emphasis on temporary.

And some others linked this video by Duncan https://youtu.be/Gbl82M5jxFY which dropped a couple days ago.

Adepticon is presented as a seismic event ... like a schism, like the Horus Heresy?

I don't want to read too much into these but ... could these be announcing the return of something epic? Like Epic scale Horus Heresy?

I haven't seen the link to the article posted yet, if it was, please don't hesitate to merge the topic.

If the Horus Heresy appears in epic scale, I know I'll be selling three kidneys * to buy it!

* not necessarily mine :biggrin: :devil:

Edited by Xenith
Replaced image address with image.

13 hours ago, lansalt said:

They forgot to mention the Lucius pattern Warlord titan...

Maybe the WarCom article was written by Dan Abnett

I think the Epic models of that era were more exception rather than rule. The Eldar Titans for example ditching the whole Eldar Aesthetic for some reason. While I really like the Lucius pattern Titans they are more like the awkward teenage phase rather than a consistent development of the "beetleback" aesthetic. Forge World's first Titan if I recall was the Lucius pattern Warhound and boy was I impressed when they created the Mars pattern version. I guess most people agreed because I think they only sell the Mars pattern now?

12 minutes ago, Chapter Master Valrak said:

Epic Horus Heresy will be out by the end of this year, after 10th Edition is dropped, the hype moves over to this then.

Don't play with my emotions, if you're winding me up with this I swear I'll find you :yucky:

Rik

With titanicus and Aeronautica, GW are already halfway there. They also have to release old properties to maintain their rights to the IP somewhere, I presume. I think once GW saw the popularity of their boxed games from 2016 onwards, getting epic was just a matter of time. I'd have preferred BFG first, myself, but this is cool.

35 minutes ago, Xenith said:

With titanicus and Aeronautica, GW are already halfway there. They also have to release old properties to maintain their rights to the IP somewhere, I presume. I think once GW saw the popularity of their boxed games from 2016 onwards, getting epic was just a matter of time. I'd have preferred BFG first, myself, but this is cool.

Obviously the plan is that Epic will have an Orbital Strike stratagem that requires a little warship model beside the board. Then, we'll get an abstract rule allowing your orbital strike token to negate an opponent's strike. Then...

5 hours ago, Magos Takatus said:

I think the Epic models of that era were more exception rather than rule. The Eldar Titans for example ditching the whole Eldar Aesthetic for some reason. While I really like the Lucius pattern Titans they are more like the awkward teenage phase rather than a consistent development of the "beetleback" aesthetic. Forge World's first Titan if I recall was the Lucius pattern Warhound and boy was I impressed when they created the Mars pattern version. I guess most people agreed because I think they only sell the Mars pattern now?

It seems that way. I think Lucius is one of those patterns that looks better in a small scale. I loved the three Lucius in 6mm (still own the Reaver), but the 32mm Lucius Warhound just wasn't as nice as the 32mm Mars Warhound. And the Mars pattern is iconic - it looks more like a 40k model, where as the Lucious could probably fit into other franchises like Mechwarrior or Star Wars without much effort.

3 hours ago, Chapter Master Valrak said:

Epic Horus Heresy will be out by the end of this year, after 10th Edition is dropped, the hype moves over to this then.

Woah-wo-wo-woah there – that's literally the most exciting bit of hobby news since Titanicus; do you have any more information that you can share?

+Edit+

Sorry – that came across a little rude! I'm delighted to hear that Epic is coming back. It's a gem of a game (in its various iterations), and I just love the sweeping scale. I'm really looking forward to seeing what modern manufacturing and design can do with the models – the Titanicus kits are beautifully engineered and clean, and to see that being applied to vehicles and infantry... well, that's the dream!

+Edit 2+ 

...and on topic, I've been really enjoying the 40 years series of articles/videos. It's lovely to go down memory lane – and have some seemingly apocryphal stories confirmed.

Edited by apologist