What happened to the Purity Seal spray from GW?

Go to solution Solved by Firedrake Cordova,

• Solution

Wasn't it replaced with Munitorum Varnish? Tale of Painters has a review on it, if it's any help.

I've been happy with the Vallejo polyurethane varnishes (e.g. 26.652), but you do need an airbrush so probably not that much help! (they also do an aerosol version of it, but I haven't tried that)

Ideally any matte varnish used with airbrush with satin, gloss and ultramatte used to achieve different finishes for different surfaces ie metals, cloths but if it's gotta be a spray testors dullcote next best thing. I started using the Vallejo polyeurethane ones recently and can never go back.

I recall that the old purity seal varnish had a lot of issues with frosting or generally wrecking models, so it wasn't actually sold for that long before getting replaced with munitorum in maybe 2014, last time they redid the main paint range? I have a can of it that I've been too afraid to use once I'd seen the reviews online. 

Edited by Xenith

I actually got hold of the Munitorum Varnish spray yesterday from a local GW have used it on a few models.

It's excellent. Absolutely no complaint.

Thanks again everyone, I would have gone for the 3rd party spray if it hadn't been available. 

I quite like the finish Munitorum Varnish gives. It will frost up on you if you put too much on. You can always do a second coat, so patience will fix that.

I think it might frost up in more humid temperatures? I never spray over 80% humidity, and try to go a decent bit lower than that to spray varnish. I'm in the deep south so I can't be too picky on humidity though.

It also will look weird if you use stormshield or a matte varnish to seal in decals, the two matte varnishes interact weirdly when applied over each other. So I switched to just gloss varnish again for that, the munitorum will take the finish down to the same. To make it really blend in, I tested airbrushing a satin varnish then moving to munitorum on my most recent tank, and that worked really well to blend the glossy part back in. You could probably achieve the same by just making a brush-on satin by mixing some stormshield with the ardcoat.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

37 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

I actually got hold of the Munitorum Varnish spray yesterday from a local GW have used it on a few models. It's excellent. Absolutely no complaint.

Glad to hear it! :smile:

19 minutes ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

It will frost up on you if you put too much on...I think it might frost up in more humid temperatures?

I think aerosols are quite sensitive to temperature and humidity because of the way it interacts with the propellant. I've seen some people advocating putting the can in hot water to warm the propellent up prior to spraying.

Artis Opus also have a video on primers, but it's applicable to aerosol varnishes too in some respects.

On 3/18/2023 at 12:00 AM, Firedrake Cordova said:

Glad to hear it! :smile:

I think aerosols are quite sensitive to temperature and humidity because of the way it interacts with the propellant. I've seen some people “advocating putting the can in hot water to warm the propellent up prior to spraying.”

This, I always put my spray into the sink with medium hot water for about 5 mins and it sprays on super smooth!, never had a problem with any spray after doing this method…even with GW’s old white spray !!

M. 

I switched to brush on varnish for my orks following the clouding issues from one of the GW spray varnishes. 

Before this I only even had an issue once with a spray very early on - skull white from a bit to far away going chalky on some guardians many, many year ago. I'm generally pretty careful with sprays ever since then so was crushed when varnishing messed up about 20 of my orks. It'd have been one thing if it was an undercoat - but this was after a lot of effort to actually paint models which isnt always easy for me to get the umph to do.

I still have a nearly full can of Purity Seal. I tried it out on something unrelated and it actually worked quite well. Definitely satin rather than matte, but honestly I don't mind satin finishes.