Help with a 2500 point generalist Dark Angel army

Helias_Tancred

Hey all. Like I said before I haven't played in over 12 months and painted in 8. But I'm returning. My Blood Angel army got most of my painting attention over the last two years, while my Dark Angels, sadly, got very little. I want to go forward with my Dark Angels now that I'm returning to the hobby from my hiatus. I have around 12k worth.

In order to retain my motivation and set an attainable goal, I've decided to make a 2500 point list that will be what I will be painting, and playing going forward.

I need help coming up with a general 2500 point list of Dark Angel units for this project. My opponents will be Eldar, Necrons, Black Templars, Chaos Space Marines, Thousand Sons, and Custodes.

I have pretty much everything for Dark Angels including Deathwing and Ravenwing, Two of nearly every primaris unit, except the only Vanguard primaris units I own are two Eliminator squads. .... I have two company veteran squads- one 5 man with combi-melta and shields, the other combi-plasma and shields. I also have a Dark Angel Legion Contemptor that can go two twin-lascannon arms, or one twin lascannon arm and one chain fist. For transports I have a drop pod, storm raven, two razorbacks with twin assault cannons, a rhino, and 2 impulsors. I have every HQ unit, every character.

Edited by Eilio Tiberius

3500 is a bit over what most games are, typically you see 1500 and 2000, 2500 is pushing the real upper boundaries of 40k, by 2k your pretty much expecting the kitchen sinks to come out somewhere and more a matter of when, 2500 turns it into multiple kitchen sinks, and stuff sorta escalates from there.

be aware that in like a week and change we are gonna have some rules changes and they may radically alter how we recommend building armies going forward. FOR NOW i will make some recommendations on units to have, as their generally just never going to be a bad idea barring some serious changes that alter that premise:

lazarus (can be proxied with any primaris home made character with a power sword and boltgun)

ezekiel

azreal 

redemptor dreadnaught

deathwing terminators of various stripes and styles dont forget your relic terminators

terminator ancient (probably because their going to nerf the apothecary again if i had to guess)

ravenwing champion (specifically him)

elimninators

attack bikes with multi meltas

gladiator reaper (singular)

dark talon isnt bad

speeders, bikes of various types but you can pass on outriders

primaris techmarine (just 1 is fine)

infiltraitors (at least 1 ten man)

land speeder vengeance

land speeder darkshroud

scouts probably arent a terrible idea, like a single 5 man and a tempest speeder

1 primaris troop transport

1 drop pod

1 stalker tank might not be the worst pick up ever sort of a fringe pick definitely a back of the pile item

1 squad of devestators with missiles

if your collection meets this above criteria your probably set for any list building we will do going forward, 

3 hours ago, aura_enchanted said:

be aware that in like a week and change we are gonna have some rules changes and they may radically alter how we recommend building armies going forward.

I wouldn't worry to much about the changes.  At least for Ravenwing, GW has pretty well telegraphed their intentions.

We are going to see a change to the secondary Codex Warfare to reduce the Devastator bonus to 1VP.  But Codex Warfare is still a good secondary, so it won't change which one you are taking.

The other change will be related to Doctrines.  And this is also easy to predict because you have marines at the very top and very bottom of the win rates.  The only simple change you can make that will reduce Ravenwing's win rate and at the same time increase Deathwatches win rate is to limit all marines to no more than 3 turns in any one doctrine.  Also forcing you into the next doctrine by a certain turn.

So most marine armies would start in Devastator turn 1.  The earliest they could move to Tactical is turn 2 and the latest is turn 4.  Same with Assault, earliest turn 3, latest turn 5.

Deathwatch would have something slightly different.  They can still move to whatever doctrine they want each turn.  Their current turn limits would be replaced with no more than 3 turns for any one doctrine.  But their benefit would be that they are not forced to go to all of the doctrines by the end of the game.  So they could do 3 turns of Devastator and 2 turns of Tactical.  Whatever makes sense for their list.

Considering that, I'd recommend focusing your listing on Ravenwing as it will be the easiest starting list to mitigate the down sides to those changes.  All you have to do is not focus exclusively on attack bikes.  You'll want some Ravenwing units that are good in Tactical and some that are good in assault.  Luckily Black Knights do well in both of those doctrines.  So a big beefy unit of RWBK will serve you well.

On 3/21/2023 at 8:35 PM, aura_enchanted said:

3500 is a bit over what most games are, typically you see 1500 and 2000, 2500 is pushing the real upper boundaries of 40k, by 2k your pretty much expecting the kitchen sinks to come out somewhere and more a matter of when, 2500 turns it into multiple kitchen sinks, and stuff sorta escalates from there.

Righto ... I was aiming for 2500 points worth so I would have enough for a 2k match along with a couple extra units I could swap around with.