The Burning of Ohmn-Mat

My apologies if this has already been discussed--I can't seem to find it here. Any thoughts on the viability of some of the units & HQs in The Burning of Ohm-Mat?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/JXRAKYvl3BrGbGjD.pdf

Ka-Bandha is expensive, but Samus looks pretty good as a warlord for a traitor legion list, esp. in one that makes heavy use of reserves.

As a thought experiment, let's put it into one of my go-to SoH 3K lists by dropping deepstriking Abaddon + Retinue and putting in KB (if the moderators don't like it I can put it in the Army Lists forum--besides, this isn't a full list). The only problems I can see would be: 1) failing the psych check on the first turn, the whole enemy army jumps on the esoterist (when he dies, the bound unit is lost, yes?); 2) KB takes on the whole opposing army on turn 1 and is destroyed before turn 2's mass arrival from reserves, though the telepathy centurion might help tie a unit up to keep him safe(r). Solid otherwise: 5 scoring units, 2 of them hard as hell, some support, KB rocking the opponent's world.

Rite of War: the Long March

HQ:

-          Legion Centurion [Esoterist] (95)

-          Legion Centurion [Librarian-Telepathy] (105)

Lords of War:

-          Bound Ka-Bandha (525)

Elites:

-          Contemptor Talon:

o  2x Contemptor Dreadnoughts [2x Gravis Lascannons; Helical Targeting Array] (225 each)

-          Apothecarion Detachment:

o   2x Apothecaries (45 each)

Troops:

-          10x Despoiler Marines [Vexilla; 2x Power Weapons; Sergeant w/ Power Fist & AA] (145)

o   Deimos Rhino Transport (35)

-          10x Tactical Marines [Vexilla; Sergeant w/ Power Fist & AA] (135)

-          10x Tactical Marines [Vexilla; Sergeant w/ Power Fist & AA] (135)

-          6x Justaerin Terminators [3x axes; 3x Thunder Hammers] (320)

o   Dedicated Transport: Land Raider Proteus w/ TL Lascannon (235)

-          6x Justaerin Terminators [3x axes; 3x Thunder Hammers] (320)

o   Dedicated Transport: Land Raider Proteus w/ TL Lascannon (235)

Fast Attack:

-          Javelin Squadron:

o   Javelin [Lascannons; Multi-Melta] (105)

Well there's more good news.

If you fail the test (or choose not to take it) the rift still manifests, albeit it scatters. A nuncio actually gives a reroll to that as well lol. Average roll of a 7 means you still have about 36" threat range with khabanda if it scatters straight back; 31" even with the full 12. Other than your opponent killing your guy, there's no way for the summoning not to happen.

And from what I can tell, you don't even need line of sight to cad t breach; you just place it.

The main issue you'd face is khabanda being solo and getting focussed down. But you could always just...pull him in turn 2 after stuffs been pinned lol.

Good call, Slips. Perhaps a better swap would be dropping the Librarian + one terminator for a Cat Praetor with a thunder hammer and putting him in the now-empty spot in one of the LRs (plus still 20 points left over for nuncios or AA). This way, I could take the Malefic Supplicant (pg. 11 on the PDF) warlord trait and have a second option for bringing KB in from reserves should the Esoterist get murked.

SkimaskMohawk, thanks for bringing rules considerations into this.

1) I think you're right, you just place it. KB has a knight-sized base so it'll be a nuisance on a crowded board, but I can make it work.

2) Page 11 in the PDF seems to describe a way of bringing daemons in from reserves that isn't the Breach the Veil psychic power (pg. 106 in Liber Hereticus). Since page 11 says that it is NEITHER Breach the Veil NOR Deep Strike, the model would just enter like a normal unit from reserve, from "the controlling player's battlefield edge" (AoD Rulebook 309). As long as I have a psyker (or a warlord with Malefic Supplicant), I can do this.

3) My one point of confusion is that the rules for the Esoterist in Liber Hereticus 106 say that you can only add three daemon units to your list, and they have to be either compulsory troops or elites. I'm thinking that the PDF trumps this with the "bound" units, right? Pages 10-11 tell me, if I'm reading them correctly, that I can take a Ruinstorm allied detachment, and then use my Esoterist or other psykers to bring them onto the field from reserve. So, I could have just 1 Ka-Bandha in my allied detachment and then use my SoH characters to bring him in from reserves. Tell me if this is how you're reading these rules as well.

9 hours ago, First_Among_Brothers said:

Page 11 in the PDF seems to describe a way of bringing daemons in from reserves that isn't the Breach the Veil psychic power (pg. 106 in Liber Hereticus). Since page 11 says that it is NEITHER Breach the Veil NOR Deep Strike, the model would just enter like a normal unit from reserve, from "the controlling player's battlefield edge" (AoD Rulebook 309). As long as I have a psyker (or a warlord with Malefic Supplicant), I can do this.

Yea, it's just normal reserves. The issue is that you can't charge when coming in from, so you have to wait for the next turn before the unit can do anything. IMO it's the absolute worst case. 

9 hours ago, First_Among_Brothers said:

My one point of confusion is that the rules for the Esoterist in Liber Hereticus 106 say that you can only add three daemon units to your list, and they have to be either compulsory troops or elites. I'm thinking that the PDF trumps this with the "bound" units, right? Pages 10-11 tell me, if I'm reading them correctly, that I can take a Ruinstorm allied detachment, and then use my Esoterist or other psykers to bring them onto the field from reserve. So, I could have just 1 Ka-Bandha in my allied detachment and then use my SoH characters to bring him in from reserves. Tell me if this is how you're reading these rules as well.

So the rules on page 106 is an army composition thing, and a bit separate from what Breach does.

If you have an esoterist you can take three troops or elites as long as they don't fill your compulsory slots. You don't have to spend your Ally detachment on bound daemons and pay for a Regent/Samus; you can just take Brutes in your Primary. Lorgar and Erebus have similar, but more expansive, versions of this rule.  Alternatively you can take an allied detachment of bound daemons and use the additional chart. It's points vs FoC slots.

khabanda is in a bit of a special spot where he's a Lord of War, and available to any Traitor army. You can just take him in the Lord of War slot and not pay for any additional units. Then you could deploy him by any of the methods available to bound daemons.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk