Bonuses to wound and USRs like Rending, Murderous Strike, etc.

Squark
Go to solution Solved by SkimaskMohawk,

So while building up my Dark Angels for an escalation league, I found myself with an awkard 120 point gap that most things wouldn't quite fit into. I eventually stumbled upon Scouts with Nemesis bolters, which fit quite nicely. However, this lead to the question of which part of the Hexagrammaton they should come from. There are two choices that stand out- Firewing for +1 to wound vs. units with independent characters, or the Stormwing for a simple +1 to hit with their boltgun Edit: I should pay more attention. Stormwing does not cover nemesis bolters.

Hence my question- Does the Firewing's bonus to wound improve my chance of triggering rending? If so, that makes it the clear choice. If not, Stormwing becomes appealing for (effectively) BS 2 snap shots*. I'm sure there's probably a ruling somewhere, but I'm away from the rulebook at the moment and the answer isn't in the FAQ.

*Which explicitly does work according to the FAQ.

Edited by Squark

• Solution

No:

Special rules that only trigger on a certain result on adice roll, such as Rending or Gets Hot, are not affectedby modifiers and still trigger only when the required number is rolled before any modifications are applied. For example, the Gets Hot special rule only applies on the roll of a natural ‘1’, a roll of a ‘2’ cannot be modified negatively to trigger the rule.

Pg 191

21 hours ago, tinpact said:

Well, if you're giving them nemesis bolters I wouldn't bother with Stormwing at all - it only works on bolters, combi-bolters, and bolt pistols. They do have bolt pistols, but I'm pretty sure it won't do anything for the nemesis bolters.

Derp. I should pay closer attention.