Quick rulebook question

Lord_Ikka

As someone who keeps buying Necromunda stuff for various Inquisition projects, I've come to the conclusion that I might want to eventually start up the game. I have everything from Corpse Grinders to Escher to Enforcers, so I would need to get the rulebooks that cover almost every gang. My question is this- what rulebooks do I need to play/what are the most up to date rulebooks and rules? Thanks!

Oh, my. This question.

Necromunda rules are all over the place! My solution has been to buy the various books that I wanted - and then on my PC rewrite the rules into a coherent "book", that I then update manually as FAQ's are released. Currently I have three WIP documents: the rules, the gangs and the campaigns (Dominion, Law & Misrule, Uprising, Outlands, Succession) , based on all the books that I own - being Book of Judgement, Book of Ruin, Book of the Outcast, House of Artifice, The Aranthian Succession: Cinderak Burning. I will also be doing a "cheat sheet" with the ExSum of what to do when starting a game and post-battle, as well as the conditions (Broken, Fleeing, Insanity etc).  

It is a horrible hassel, and should probably have been done in InDesign, instead of Word. 

Short answer: get the newest published rule book (Hive War, I think) and the FAQ. That should be enough.

It is in truth a wonderful game, as long as folks treat it is a narrative, table-top skirmish role-playing game, rather than a Win-At-All-Costs approach, in which case it will break down. 

This isn't as easy as it should be to answer.

If you haven't bought any of the boxsets (Dark Uprising, Ashwastes, etc.) then the only option is the Necromunda Rulebook - https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Necromunda-Rulebook-2018-eng

This is understandably a little out of date but there is an online FAQ to update it. Unfortunately this is missing the vehicle rules and if you want them the Book of the Outlands is required to use vehicles.

Think carefully if you want to use vehicles because I've found, that while enjoyable enough, vehicles feel like a bit of a gimmick and they don't add a lot of narrative like Underhive battles do.

The most up to date rulebook is the Ashwastes Rulebook that is found in the Ash Wastes boxset. This has all the rules on how to play Necromunda. While it has the rules on how vehicles play, it doesn't have the rules for the actual vehicles themselves (Ridge Runners, Goliaths, Cargo -8, etc.). Once again Book of the Outlands is required for that. I've looked on ebay and the Ash Waste rulebook is going for a ridiculous sum of money (£53 + £25 postage!)

The Dark Uprising rulebook has most of the updates added to it and it is easier to find the rules in it simply because it is a softcover book. This doesn't have psyker rules or vehicle rules, so if you want to use psykers I wouldn't recommend it. Personally I rarely use psychic powers so I use this book the most when I'm trying to find rules.

While the Necromunda rulebook and Ashwastes Rulebook have the rules on how Psychic powers work, they have little to no psychic powers in them. A vast array of Psychic powers can be found in the Book of the Outcast (not to be confused with the Book of the Outlands.)

With all this explained the short answer is Necromunda Rulebook (download FAQ's) and Book of the Outcasts (Psychic Powers) + Book of the Outlands if you want to use vehicles.

**For some reason this post has floated around in the aether and I've had to repost it...fortunately it all reappeared as I've hit the reply button. I've no idea why this has happened. Has anyone else had a similar experience when replying to a post?

Edited by Castigator

My opinion: Try Necrodamus web page. You get all in 1 PDF and you have extras like cards and so.

And free.

I'm like you. Except Squats (Sorry but I don't like the gang box...),I have all the official bands, so for me Necrodamus work is essential.

Edited by AGRAMAR

On 3/22/2023 at 12:16 PM, Castigator said:

**For some reason this post has floated around in the aether and I've had to repost it...fortunately it all reappeared as I've hit the reply button. I've no idea why this has happened. Has anyone else had a similar experience when replying to a post?

Not with the post disappearing, but with it saving what you had previously typed and autofilling the reply - yeah, that's something the new software does.  I had it happen to me, but in that case it was a pain as it was forcing weird formatting on me that I didn't want and I had purposely left the reply and opened a new one to try to get rid of that weird formatting.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

In terms of Rulebooks to cover every gang, the House Books each deal everything regarding a specific House, pre the introduction of Ash Wastes. Book of Judgement covers Enforcers, Book of Ruin for Corpse Grinders.

Then there are other books such as Book of Peril (Hired Guns & Venator gangs) and Book of the Outcasts. (Outcast gangs - the dregs)

Of course, along came Book of the Outlands (Squats and Ash Waste Nomads) which also included vehicle rules for House Orlock.

Cinderak Burning has vehicle Rules for Houses Goliath and Escher.

Basically, it you're leaving the Ash Wastes out of your gaming, it's expensive but simpler. If you want the whole hog, your wallet will take a beating.

-Ran