Love the Kill Team concept but it is too hard to get....

Phantomworks

Hi All,

I wanted to ask for opinions. I have collected odd sets of Kill Team. I currently have 2 sets. The 2nd edition starter set and the 3rd edition Octarius set.

Granted I have not played a single game...I am still hopefully I can get the play aspect going. However, it seems Kill Team is so limited in terms of getting hold of stuff, case in point the recent boxed releases which I could not get at RRP price. I don't want to feed the scalpers either so have not gone and bought it from Ebay for example. I am also concerned that there are no Elite units at all. No terminators, etc.

I like the concept but find the current limitations of putting but perhaps that is just in my head.

How does this compare to Combat Patrol, as you have access to any unit within reason and it is more accessible to collect.

I was thinking maybe I should stick with 2nd edition to have a bigger variety of playable units but I read the rules are not great.

Any advise appreciated.

Kill Team is awesome, and there is a TON of stuff available for it. New releases DO sell out absurdly and irritatingly fast, BUT, all that stuff comes out separately later. As far as I'm aware, every book and team that has come out for KT is still available.

Don't even think about whats elite/troop/etc. This is a completely different game with no troop classifications like that. You are right, however, that it isn't a "Take anything you want" kinda game. It's deliberately small in scope and it's much tighter as a result.

If you want "starter40k/40k lite" you are probably better off with boarding actions/combat patrols. But this is a super fun game that stands on it's own completely separately from 40k.

Id highly recommend the current edition of Kill Team. I never played the last edition, but the current edition is pretty streamlined for list building and decently balanced between the bespoke teams (compendium teams, not so much)

Unless you really want space hulk terrain, you could just stick with your current sets for now. Into the Dark is still available, and can actually be found on Amazon for a decent price if your in the US. But between the two boxes you currently have you should have plenty of terrain and enough minis for four separate teams. 

Thanks again all for the helpful insight. Could I also ask the following. In regards to just picking up terrain and one of the box rulebooks, is that enough to play or do you also need the tokens, cards etc that comes with each box set. As I never played, I also admit I am not familiar with the rules and must haves.

Since I have the Octarius set, I have the dice, I know you need the mini's you want to play with, but what about other peripheral things? Is the terrain, the associated rule book or core rule book enough to allow you to play on the new terrains for example?

Edited by Phantomworks

If you have Octarius, you have everything you need. The tokens aren’t necessarily required to play as long as you have tokens of some kind, but again, you’ve got them in Octarius. Same with the mission cards (Tac Ops).

All the basic terrain rules are included inthe basic rulebook. The additional books introduce special mission rules for the newer terrain pieces. 
So for instance, if you liked the Sector Fronteris terrain you could use it with the base rules. If you wanted fancy rules for using the radar tower in the game, you’d want the book it came with (which also has rules for two more kill teams, new narrative missions, and more matched play missions).

Edited by Ripper.McGuirl