I wish templates for flame weapons could come back. They were fun. 

If GW scales back lethality to more rational levels, flamers could be ok again. I think they mostly suffered from a meta where everything but them gained AP, S, and often delt more wounds.

Terminators do better in a meta with less AP and less D2+ weapons, and as the focus of this editions launch box, I am hoping the meta becomes less murderous than ot has been. 

21 minutes ago, Marshal Mittens said:

I wish templates for flame weapons could come back. They were fun. 

If GW scales back lethality to more rational levels, flamers could be ok again. I think they mostly suffered from a meta where everything but them gained AP, S, and often delt more wounds.

Terminators do better in a meta with less AP and less D2+ weapons, and as the focus of this editions launch box, I am hoping the meta becomes less murderous than ot has been. 

Fun unless you played against a waac’er who spends 25 minutes fiddling with unit coherency distances. That and endless arguments over who would be covered by said templates

Yep, no chance whatsoever templates are coming back in an edition they've specifically made about streamlining and speeding up the game. I agree it felt more fun/thematic than random number of hits, but it was also way more ambiguous and 90% of the time you end up haggling over how many models are hit which really slows things down.

2 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Valrak mentioned in his most recent stream that they should be in units of 5, not 3.

This makes sense to me for a lot of reasons, and it's a good thing if so.

Question would be a separate box for assailt terminators or a dual kit.

(Obviously if they don't just stick the monopose kit in a separate box like the Outriders or Necron Destroyers)

25 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

Question would be a separate box for assailt terminators or a dual kit.

(Obviously if they don't just stick the monopose kit in a separate box like the Outriders or Necron Destroyers)

There's precedent for a combined kit given the Wolf Guard and Deathwing Terminator boxes since both have the ranged and melee loadouts split across three frames. I'm going to cautiously lean towards combined kit, but I'm going to hedge that bet by saying the price is going to be steeper ($70ish).

3 hours ago, Mr. Oddity said:

There's precedent for a combined kit given the Wolf Guard and Deathwing Terminator boxes since both have the ranged and melee loadouts split across three frames. I'm going to cautiously lean towards combined kit, but I'm going to hedge that bet by saying the price is going to be steeper ($70ish).

Also both Heresy Terminator kits.

The worry of a dual kit would be loss of options. The HH kits do a decent job but there’s no hammers or shields. And these bodies will be bigger so even less sprue space available. I guess we could end up with a similar situation to Sword Brethren and a mixed load out (I hope not though)

18 hours ago, Redcomet said:

Fun unless you played against a waac’er who spends 25 minutes fiddling with unit coherency distances. That and endless arguments over who would be covered by said templates

I'm pretty sure playing against a WAAC'er is never going to be fun, and the solution to such problems is an actual incendiary weapon.

20 hours ago, Halandaar said:

Even that judgment is up in the air given we don't know if flame weapons are going to get changed in 10th.

I never use flamers so I couldn’t say how good they are. But I think on top of auto hitting that’s they should also get max hits if the unit size is 10+ or the model has 12+ would count 

2 hours ago, Burni said:

The worry of a dual kit would be loss of options. The HH kits do a decent job but there’s no hammers or shields. And these bodies will be bigger so even less sprue space available. I guess we could end up with a similar situation to Sword Brethren and a mixed load out (I hope not though)

Actually that’s the rumors I have heard, that terminators will no longer be all assault or all shooty(which is really still half melee). So you’ll be able to have shooty and assaults on the same squad. 

also don’t understand why 40K proper has never gone more of the route of just having standard unit boxes and then selling upgrade sprues 

35 minutes ago, Evil Eye said:

I'm pretty sure playing against a WAAC'er is never going to be fun, and the solution to such problems is an actual incendiary weapon.

Nah it is a valid point against templates, when you're punished for not being strict with your coherence it makes the decision fairly binary even at a casual level.

A game where you have an inherent disadvantage for not playing in a manner that wastes time needs the pyrotechnics too.

I do hope they release chapter specific upgrade sprues for the new Terminators fairly quickly.

Maybe in those, they could finally include Bladeguard/Heavy Intercessor pauldrons as well.....

In fact that would be a really welcome new product (Terminator, Bladeguard and Heavy Intercessor icon pauldrons and extras)

It is a shame the current ones only include pauldrons for standard intercessor armour and Aggressors.

I love me some embossed badges :biggrin:

Edited by Eptesicus

11 minutes ago, Eptesicus said:

Maybe in those, they could finally include Bladeguard/Heavy Intercessor pauldrons as well.....

In fact that would be a really welcome new product (Terminator, Bladeguard and Heavy Intercessor icon pauldrons and extras)

It is a shame the current ones only include pauldrons for standard intercessor armour and Aggressors.

I love me some embossed badges :biggrin:

Said aggressor pads can actually be used pretty well on bladeguard especially. Looking at the multipart kit, they have the exact same half rim design towards the front. Really not too much reason they couldn't be used on the others as well... though maybe that's the Templar in me speaking as our units are less standardized and more adhoc in design. That said, the upgrade sprue does not come without enough pads to supply a more numerous unit like Heavy intercessors.

Additional upgrade sprues with all the alternate pad designs would certainly not go amiss, including the single one phobos uses

1 hour ago, Mogger351 said:

Nah it is a valid point against templates, when you're punished for not being strict with your coherence it makes the decision fairly binary even at a casual level.

A game where you have an inherent disadvantage for not playing in a manner that wastes time needs the pyrotechnics too.

I was never a waac player but if my buddie brought his Helldrake against my Dark Angels you could bet I was very fiddley with the placement of my marines.

15 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Said aggressor pads can actually be used pretty well on bladeguard especially. Looking at the multipart kit, they have the exact same half rim design towards the front. Really not too much reason they couldn't be used on the others as well... though maybe that's the Templar in me speaking as our units are less standardized and more adhoc in design. That said, the upgrade sprue does not come without enough pads to supply a more numerous unit like Heavy intercessors.

Additional upgrade sprues with all the alternate pad designs would certainly not go amiss, including the single one phobos uses

They would be different to the right pad though, as the half rim is a different design . Also, i have not tried one on a model, but the Aggressor pads are slightly bigger so would look a bit odd with a smaller pad on the other side. They would likely be the right size for heavy intercessors, but then they don't have the half rim design (so could take some careful modding), and as you say they are not enough.

A second upgrade pack for the major factions containing Bladeguard, Terminator and Heavy Intercessor pads would be great.

Maybe Assault intercessor ones too, but that might be asking too much..

Or order some extra Aggressor pads for the other (right hand?) off side from Bits and Kits or elsewhere if you’re so inclined. Of course that’s extra money that wouldn’t need to be spent if GW did the right thing and came out with pads for Eradicators and Heavy Intercessors. They also need to bring out pads for Assault Intercessors and marines in Phobos armour.

9 minutes ago, Eptesicus said:

They would be different to the right pad though, as the half rim is a different design .

Are they though? what's different?

12 minutes ago, Eptesicus said:

Also, i have not tried one on a model, but the Aggressor pads are slightly bigger so would look a bit odd with a smaller pad on the other side. They would likely be the right size for heavy intercessors, but then they don't have the half rim design (so could take some careful modding), and as you say they are not enough.

A second upgrade pack for the major factions containing Bladeguard, Terminator and Heavy Intercessor pads would be great.

Maybe Assault intercessor ones too, but that might be asking too much..

As for trying it on a model, I have done so, tangentially at least. (Used a BT relic blade arm, then the inner pad addon from the bladeguard kit, and then a BT aggressor pad. Fit perfectly.)

21 hours ago, Halandaar said:

Yep, no chance whatsoever templates are coming back in an edition they've specifically made about streamlining and speeding up the game. I agree it felt more fun/thematic than random number of hits, but it was also way more ambiguous and 90% of the time you end up haggling over how many models are hit which really slows things down.

My group had the rule in 4th in case of doubt roll a dice. Solved so many arguments that I lost count

36 minutes ago, Emurian said:

My group had the rule in 4th in case of doubt roll a dice. Solved so many arguments that I lost count

That rule is still there (see "The Most Important Rule"), but it is often overlooked and doesn't stop disagreements from happening in the first place, and to be honest if the outcome of a template placement is in dispute to the point you're having to roll a dice to determine the outcome anyway, then why not just roll the dice to determine number of hits in the first place.

Template > Disagreement > Roll for it

VS

Just roll for it