I prefer the immersion and tactical aspect regarding placement of units it brings. I don't mind rolling dice or that it slows down the game. Those 2-3 occasions that cost an extra minute are peanuts compared to the 1 hour rounds we have because people smoked to much weed and are socializing. The game acts like a glue to bind the group, the real goal is that everyone has fun and can unwind after a week of working. 

We more often then not are with an uneven number of people so the "third wheel" his main job is to keep rolling for the others, search up rules and give unbiased answers to discussions like these.

I get it where your coming from from a competitive standpoint. Mind you my group plays together for 20 years so the game serves a different role for us.

7 hours ago, darkangels91 said:

Actually that’s the rumors I have heard, that terminators will no longer be all assault or all shooty(which is really still half melee). So you’ll be able to have shooty and assaults on the same squad. 

That fits the current philosophy of only allowing build options of what's in a box, but whatever combination of options are built out of the box are allowed. Aka: build what you want out of the box and it will still be a legal unit.

3 minutes ago, jaxom said:

That fits the current philosophy of only allowing build options of what's in a box, but whatever combination of options are built out of the box are allowed. Aka: build what you want out of the box and it will still be a legal unit.

There are a few units like this - notably Chaos Terminators which may lend some credence to the idea - but for the majority of units their basic loadouts (i.e. excluding the Sergeant)  it's still either/or. All Intercessors have to take the same type of Bolt Rifle, all Hellblasters have to take the same type of Plasma Incinerator etc. Same applies to Inceptors, Aggressors, Eliminators, Desolators. Free for all mix and match is relatively uncommon, even if the kit supports it.

10 hours ago, jaxom said:

@Halandaar, that's a really good point. Ditto with Aggressors and Votann Hearthkyn now that I think about it. Anyone know if that's the case with the new Cadian or Berserker squads?

New Cadians are one of each special weapon as of the FAQ which lines up with the box contents. I believe it's also true for all Guard infantry options, which is part of the reason why Catachans are double flamer only - it's the only special that comes on the sprue for them. The only kit with individual loadouts I can think of is the new Sword Bretheren kit, in which case it's actually enforced due to not having enough duplicate options for a uniform squad loadout.

21 hours ago, jaxom said:

@Halandaar, that's a really good point. Ditto with Aggressors and Votann Hearthkyn now that I think about it. Anyone know if that's the case with the new Cadian or Berserker squads?

Berzerker squads come with 3 plasma pistols, 2 eviscerators, and 1 icon in the box. Matches what a unit of 10 can take with full upgrades. All upgrades are optional and can be variously allocated; champ can’t take an eviscerator.

Edited by Khornestar

Seems like Terminators could go either way. I would assume the ideal for GW is a body sprue and then two different arm sprues, one for range and the other for melee. The arm sprues could then later the swapped out for chapter specific ones with bespoke shoulder pads, storm shields, etc.

On 3/27/2023 at 1:52 PM, Halandaar said:

That rule is still there (see "The Most Important Rule"), but it is often overlooked and doesn't stop disagreements from happening in the first place, and to be honest if the outcome of a template placement is in dispute to the point you're having to roll a dice to determine the outcome anyway, then why not just roll the dice to determine number of hits in the first place.

Template > Disagreement > Roll for it

VS

Just roll for it

Probably because 99.99999% of people were capable of playing the game without the disagreement part. There were one or two template-adjacent rules in latter years like multiple barrage that got excessive, but I actively played from late 2nd to 5th and in Heresy for a while after that and I think I can remember having disagreements about templates or having to take special pains over coherency spacing like, twice? Maybe it's because I've never set foot in a tournament in my life, but these boogeymen ostensibly lurking in every game store waiting to WELL ACKSHOLEE a twenty minute argument over this or that model being under a template are not something I've ever seen.

And "just roll for it" is boring IMO, when you whack down a flamer template it's much easier to imagine Your Dude immolating Those Guys in your mind's eye than "I roll three hits".

13 minutes ago, Yodhrin said:

Probably because 99.99999% of people were capable of playing the game without the disagreement part. There were one or two template-adjacent rules in latter years like multiple barrage that got excessive, but I actively played from late 2nd to 5th and in Heresy for a while after that and I think I can remember having disagreements about templates or having to take special pains over coherency spacing like, twice? Maybe it's because I've never set foot in a tournament in my life, but these boogeymen ostensibly lurking in every game store waiting to WELL ACKSHOLEE a twenty minute argument over this or that model being under a template are not something I've ever seen.

For what it's worth I also never played in a tournament but still came up against this behaviour even at casual/pickup level. That your personal experience differs does not invalidate the widely held opinion that templates caused issues that dice rolling does not.

On 3/27/2023 at 8:45 AM, darkangels91 said:

Actually that’s the rumors I have heard, that terminators will no longer be all assault or all shooty(which is really still half melee). So you’ll be able to have shooty and assaults on the same squad. 

May I ask where this rumour comes from? Has @Chapter Master Valrak dropped any hints?

It wouldn’t surprise me if we get entirely new Terminator units, a bit like how Deathwing were further divided into Deathwing Knights. Chapter upgrade sprues seem even more likely.

Just now, RedFox said:

Do we have an idea if the new terminators have the same shoulder pads size than the old ones?

We won't know until we get hold of the kit.

Also, the kit in the new starter will most likely be an easy-to-build variant that won't allow us to swap parts without some effort in conversion.