They look fantastic. I agree with the comments about Deathwing and Wolf Guard looking better with less ‘bling’ but I do think that those details will detract less from them in future now that they’re bigger and better proportioned. 

It looks like these are almost certainly going to be a a push-fit squad from the starter set, meaning we will most likely be getting a multipart kit in the not too distant future. 

It’s a good time to be a Terminator fan.

Edited by Master Commander Ajax
Typo

I've only seen a cannon so far, no sign of a flamer. Do we know if this is a launch set kit with a full kit coming later (like the dread in Age of Darkness) or have I just missed seeing something, or what?

6 minutes ago, EnsignJoker said:

There’s no reason a terminators legs or body should be longer than a regular marine. They’re not nobs, they don’t grow as they become more elite.

Given the chain of seniority/special-ness follows height (emperor > primarch > custodes >marines), no, I'd say marines are very much orky.

HySY0mayRuiZCMry-0F9gcgvngFL16Q6nDn0fOOL

The size comparison I want to see is these guys set against the new wave of 30K Terminator Praetors.  When those first dropped, they appeared simply massive next to power armored Marines.

I know I’m a bit late to the party, and I know I’m going to be in the minority, but I’m a bit let down by the new terminators. I tried to give them a chance, but the full 5 man squad today just looked bland to me.

I think they did a great job scaling them up and adding crisp detail, but that is all they did. I would have liked to see something new. Or at least something if even subtle upgrades to bring them into the third decade of the 21st century. For example, I have seen some gravies arms and legs on terminator bodies and even something subtle like that could be cool. I think they just look old. The poses aren’t dynamic enough, the guns are plain, they just look tired. Compare them to any of the new Chaos terminators. The chaos poses are far more domineering, and generally way better in my opinion.

I don’t even think it makes sense from a lore perspective. Take Calgar for example. He was in terminator plate. Upgraded to Heraclus armor or whatever they call it. So don’t tell me terminator plate is so great it can’t be improved on. Obviously it has been. Even the indomitus plate is an improvement of the many heresy pattern plate variants. The mk x is an improvement.. 9th I believe? So, yeah. Doesn’t make sense lore wise. And even if they wanted to stick with it’s the best ever, just say, hey, this is how it’s always looked. Cuz the article that just dropped today shows they can do that very thing. (This same iconic terminator plate hasn’t always looked like this either.) Another point. These are suppose to be ancient relics bestowed upon the best warriors with the utmost honor and yet they’re as clean as greyshields? Come on, really?

I think the primaris lore thing was rushed at best if not outright dumb. But I think the primaris sculpts are 1000x better than the old marines. Even the new face mask is awesome and I loved the old iconic sad-mouth-face masks. We know they can primaris-ize classic looks and have them be awesome as they’ve done it with quite a few characters already. Basically, I’m a little let down as I think they had the opportunity to make something fresh and way cooler updating a classic look and it’s a big ol miss for me.

Again, I know I’m in the minority here and these are just my thoughts. That said, for you guys that love them I’m happy you guys are happy. Sorry for the long post, been mulling it around for a few days since their release. And please excuse any typos or grammar, I’m on my phone and I’m dumb.

1 hour ago, tangoalphatwo said:

I don’t even think it makes sense from a lore perspective. Take Calgar for example. He was in terminator plate. Upgraded to Heraclus armor or whatever they call it. So don’t tell me terminator plate is so great it can’t be improved on. Obviously it has been. Even the indomitus plate is an improvement of the many heresy pattern plate variants. The mk x is an improvement.. 9th I believe? So, yeah. Doesn’t make sense lore wise.

1 hour ago, tangoalphatwo said:

I think the primaris lore thing was rushed at best if not outright dumb.

I think in fairness you answer your own criticism here. The new lore does feel rushed as it’s been shoe-horned in next to decades old established lore causing many blatant and avoidable contradictions (including the example you’ve used above).

Hopefully GW continues the “Terminators can be either Primaris or Firstborn” philosophy they’ve adopted with this release. I think it’s a case of making the best of a bad situation now.

Edited by Master Commander Ajax

@tangoalphatwo

I think GW are delivering a nostalgic unit in a boxset that is going to appeal equally to new collectors and old hobbyists alike.

Do I like these new Terminators? I absolutely do.

Could GW have made a few more changes to them without reducing the quality of the kit? I think so.

They have chosen to play it safe, but have ultimately delivered a very cool kit.

In regards to Calgar, the armour of Heracles is faster than a Terminator suit. The new Calgar model is actually an update on the original sculpt in which he was wearing artificer armour, and not his Terminator alternative. In the lore Gravis, Tacticus and Phobos are all a single modular design, so in effect he is wearing artificer gravis armour.

Terminator armour was always adjustable for size to a degree, but toe to eye it was/is the same marine inside so height wise its only ever been the power pack hump that towered above power armour. That was the case from the release of the first metal terminators in 89 and the 2nd edition versions of the 90s.  Those of an age will remember the classic story of Ranulf the Strong of the Space Wolves, the largest space wolf that ever lived (pre-primaris), and the conversion that was featured in White Dwarf 185. 

EIZorkfXYAA62uV?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by dickyelsdon

It does bear repeating that these five models will probably be gracing the 10th limited box (and I'm guessing the Elite/Commander tiers of the starters). They mention the Cyclone Missile Launcher a bit in the video which I'd say hints at that being an option in the full multipart kit. What other weapon options we'll get though remains to be seen but I suspect we'll know soon enough either through leaks of the non-starter data cards or the codex.

3 minutes ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

Both or either would be great.

I don't see how you can get both. Drop the lore making old marines small, yet introduce size differentiation on the models? Just no, I just don't want any more small marines, wether they're running the latest Primaris OS 2.0 or not. Tiny marines is an historic abberation we thankfully leave behind as soon as possible. Marines were never meant to be small.

Looking at the (new) guard and sororitas ranges. We don't really see much of height difference between these human models. Sure there'd be some in real humans, but at this scale, they're all pretty much the same, and that's fine. They're human models/human models in power armor respecitvely. Same should be with marines. Mostly one size that is: astartes in varying types of armor.

17 hours ago, Crizza said:

I just hope we five minis, with options for AC, that Rocket launcher and the flamer. But I could also see GW ship them with just an AC and a CC/ranged weapon upgrade sprue.

And, a man can dream, maybe give us the option for volkite weaponry those pesky Night Lords have.

The squad pictured is most likely the launch set, push fit version. Besides a bare head don’t expect any options

7 hours ago, Urauloth said:

I've only seen a cannon so far, no sign of a flamer. Do we know if this is a launch set kit with a full kit coming later (like the dread in Age of Darkness) or have I just missed seeing something, or what?

These are launch set minis

39 minutes ago, Angelus Nex said:

How cool would it be if they might slight height differences between the models. As if they were mixed squads of firstborn and primaris.

It doesn't even need to be a Firstborn Vs Primaris thing; two humans (or post-humans in this case) should be able to be different sizes without that feeling weird. I mean how many real life situations have you been in where a group of any 10 people are all exactly the same height as each other? I guess there must be a very good scale modelling/psychology reason why organic models within units almost never vary in size but that is pretty unrealistic when you think about it.

Just now, Halandaar said:

It doesn't even need to be a Firstborn Vs Primaris thing; two humans (or post-humans in this case) should be able to be different sizes without that feeling weird. I mean how many real life situations have you been in where a group of any 10 people are all exactly the same height as each other? I guess there must be a very good scale modelling/psychology reason why organic models within units almost never vary in size but that is pretty unrealistic when you think about it.

This sounds good on paper, but just doesn't end up well in practise. We're not dealing with humans shrunk down. We're dealing with plastic models. Changing the size of some models just make some models look too short. We got different arm options and poses and weapons to glue on. Should some arms and legs and be shorter too? This has never been done (intentionally anyway, im sure some ancient kits could have been wildly varying) in any GW kit ever. All the marines of of 2012 tactical kit are the same height. The very cocurrent assault kit is very much the same scale, as are the vanguard, sternguard kits etc. 

We can't make a bunch of different sized models like this. If you think about it, a random box of Guardsmen would have more size differences. One will be tall and lanky, another could be short and squat, etc. It will make it even harder to pose/convert the models than it already is.

The issue with old Marines and Primaris isn't simply the size but the scaling of the limbs and head. The old Marines look more like Squats when they stand next to the newer models.

To prevent this from devolving into a Primaris vs Old Marine discussion again, I think we should wait and see what GW does in 10th when the next Marine codex rolls around. I imagine that the Index will provide rules for every kit, but some might be removed or updated by the time the next codex is released.

Inspired by the new models, Mark Gibbons shared some of his original terminator art here

https://www.facebook.com/100036847526069/posts/pfbid02rKZBZEmmneRxJquHWV6CAH1UAbE22BpPw3uLDJjaRdJRHR5cdtw4ny7BDZ3i7TwSl/

FB_IMG_1680170712554.jpg

FB_IMG_1680170714775.jpg

FB_IMG_1680170716848.jpg

FB_IMG_1680170718740.jpg

FB_IMG_1680170721350.jpg

FB_IMG_1680170724220.jpg

Just really helps to emphasise how faithful these new ones are :)

Edited by Petitioner's City