2 hours ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Just saw this on warhammerofficial instagram

338324857_195054466593837_2510466638737046443_n.jpg

God, I wish i had the time, inclination, skill and patience to paint Imperial Fist's like the Eavy Metal team do. The yellow they make is so good.

I think the Tacticus, Phobos and Gravis armour are all excellent now.

Not everyone has to like each type, but you can also ignore them and make a complete list. It's one of the biggest strengths of the Primaris line.

I think the 1st Gravis Captain was very flawed, but the more recent multipart kit is great. The Eradicators and Heavy Intercessors are also pretty perfect.

Terminators now add to the range, a suit for the 1st company heavy troops. I have one last question - what is happening with Centurions? I wouldn't mind a new kit for the big chonks lol 

10 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

I think the Tacticus, Phobos and Gravis armour are all excellent now.

Not everyone has to like each type, but you can also ignore them and make a complete list. It's one of the biggest strengths of the Primaris line.

I think the 1st Gravis Captain was very flawed, but the more recent multipart kit is great. The Eradicators and Heavy Intercessors are also pretty perfect.

Terminators now add to the range, a suit for the 1st company heavy troops. I have one last question - what is happening with Centurions? I wouldn't mind a new kit for the big chonks lol 

It always looked to me like Gravis is meant to replace Centurions and not Terminators.

41 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

Calgar is just an update on the old artificer armour variant.

It's explicitly not.

From the 8E Ultramarines Supplement, pg39:

[After the Rubicon surgery] Calgar thereafter donned the Armour of Heroclus, a revolutionary adaptation of the iconic Armour of Antilochus.

So the Armour of Heraclus, his current MkX Gravis armour, is an adaptation of Antilochus. What is the Armour of Antilochus?

From Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition), pg84:

The Armour of Antilochus is a suit of Terminator Armour worn exclusively by Chapter Master Marneus Calgar of the Ultramarines.

The Armour of Heraclus is, definitively, a suit of Terminator Armour incorporated into a suit of Gravis armour. It is not a redoing of his Artificer Armour which, as far as I am aware, does not have a specific name but is absolutely separate since it is a suit of Power Armour, not Terminator Armour.

so.

the bare head terminator mask design is very reminiscent of primaris ones, particularly with the same slits. Just interesting to see, and alongside things like the abdomen details and choice of power sword indicates their desire to make them look “right” alongside other recent releases.

hammering home again the “modern marine” narrative perhaps.

the terminators look right at home beside intercessors, they look a little odd beside aggressors (mostly because aggressors are the worst gravis models) but may well look fine beside heavy intercessors. I suspect they’ll look comically large beside most firstborn but will probably look cool beside deathwatch maybe. Phobos will look fine, people talk about tacti-cool and I laugh as they just follow ideas seen on scouts since we moved to the modern scout designs, but with the logical addition that they are full battle brothers so use a lighter suit of power armour rather than inferior carapace (imo, Phobos should be movement 7), quite power armour has been a thing utilised by chapters like raven guard forever so it’s not even weird there.

the new terminators are legitimately very cool, and I look forward to getting some for my army. Will be very strange to have at least 10 as I’ve not been in such a situation for many years at this point!

p.s. on the Calgar front, I would not be at all surprised if he gets yet another model

18 minutes ago, Eptesicus said:

God, I wish i had the time, inclination, skill and patience to paint Imperial Fist's like the Eavy Metal team do. The yellow they make is so good.

I love seeing other Chapters get the Eavy Metal treatment. Sometimes it’s possible to track down the recipes they use online. It definitely helps me improve my painting skills. 

5 minutes ago, Master Commander Ajax said:

I love seeing other Chapters get the Eavy Metal treatment. Sometimes it’s possible to track down the recipes they use online. It definitely helps me improve my painting skills. 

Very much besides the point of the thread, but I did come across this the other day: 

https://eavy-archive.com/

but will probably look cool beside deathwatch maybe.

I'm just thinking any and all older terminator will look too much like they skipped leg day. Not sure if arms are much different. Maybe you could swap out powerfists at no loss of aesthetic presentation?

Edited by Marshal Reinhard

33 minutes ago, mecanojavi99 said:

It always looked to me like Gravis is meant to replace Centurions and not Terminators.

My current thinking, regardless of what was supposed to be, is that Gravis is currently meant to supplement Terminators. Not every Chapter has enough suits for a full first company. The Dark Angels are/were noted as an exception for fielding an all Terminator First Company and even 100 is not a lot. Gravis would let a Chapter field as many Marines as they wanted in gear meant for heavy engagement zones and close quarters fighting. Rules-wise, it opens up that style option for a full army regardless of organizational requirements because there are enough different Gravis units (including Troops/Battleline).

The Indexing does provide an opportunity to further differentiate between Terminators and Aggressors.

It doesn't make sense why Calgar's Terminator armour would be have been retooled to be gravis though? I mean, why?

I wouldn't be surprised if fluff was changed to state his new Gravis armour was just a gift from Cawl or built using tech copied from his original Terminator armour.

Anyway, the retreather... is it not harkening back to this?

146523.jpeg.thumb.jpg.421bb1024f5123dc22378ad4902c0796.jpg

44 minutes ago, Master Commander Ajax said:

Yes i have found the recipe, and was disappointed to find out that their Imperial Fists method involves endless mixing, blending and glazing to get that yellow.

It looks incredible, but must take ages to get them looking like that.

3 hours ago, appiah4 said:

First time I've seen Exorcists feature in any official GW material since 3E codex I think.  This makes me so happy for some reason, I can't really explain it..

Cool that they featured them for sure, although it might have been a personal choice by one of the painters rather than a choice by GW with any significance. I say this because the video also includes a Terminator in the Iron Ravens scheme, which is a homebrew chapter of one of the Eavy Metal painters.

Screenshot_20230330-152714~2.png

50 minutes ago, Eptesicus said:

Yes i have found the recipe, and was disappointed to find out that their Imperial Fists method involves endless mixing, blending and glazing to get that yellow.

It looks incredible, but must take ages to get them looking like that.

There's now a very quick way of doing it - which looks really good if you get the primer coat lovely and smooth

White Scar primer spray (thin coats to get it smooth)

Imperial Fist Contrast

Cassandora Yellow wash (new one)

Gives a lovely deep yellow which you can go staright to highlighting, and if you want you can further shade the deepest recesses and add weathering if required.

1 hour ago, Captain Idaho said:

It doesn't make sense why Calgar's Terminator armour would be have been retooled to be gravis though? I mean, why?

I wouldn't be surprised if fluff was changed to state his new Gravis armour was just a gift from Cawl or built using tech copied from his original Terminator armour.

Anyway, the retreather... is it not harkening back to this?

146523.jpeg.thumb.jpg.421bb1024f5123dc22378ad4902c0796.jpg

the actual design of the rebreather is very reminiscent of the mkx helm with the top taken off, has the slanted mk4. Style slits/grills that mkX shares. it then has sticky out bits to the sides that line up with the new terminator helms, suggesting that the new style terminator helm slots on top in a similar manner to how other helms are shown coming apart these days

23 minutes ago, Cyrox said:

There's now a very quick way of doing it - which looks really good if you get the primer coat lovely and smooth

White Scar primer spray (thin coats to get it smooth)

Imperial Fist Contrast

Cassandora Yellow wash (new one)

Gives a lovely deep yellow which you can go staright to highlighting, and if you want you can further shade the deepest recesses and add weathering if required.

Got any pictures of the results?

3 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

Adding to my thoughts here, the Terminator aesthetic is so iconic it seems like it might be a little at odds with fitting the Primaris range. I think the MKX stuff works well enough, even the modern Gravis (i.e. Heavy Intercessors, not Aggressors) but many of the Phobos range just seems a little less 40K alongside these classic Terminators?

I'd be interested to hear the opinions on this in particular from folk who only got into the hobby with Primaris, as they aren't necessarily "corrupted" by theme from ages past, the art up ahead a prime example.

I'm actually a little reluctant to add the new Terminators to my current, all Primaris, army exactly because I'm not sure they'll fit in quite right looks wise. If they had incorporated a few more Primais design details like the flange on the knees or the layered armour on the feet then I'd me more inclined to include them. I've even considered cutting these Termies in half and giving them Gravis legs (seen a lot of conversion like that with the old Terminators and I think they look ace). I totally understand why GW didn't go that route though.

I'm not a new player, though. I've been collecting since the end of 2nd and love Indomitus Terminators, I have about 30-40 painted up and I think the new models look great but maybe not quite right for my current force. Perhaps once I've got them in hand I'll change my mind.

25 minutes ago, Lemondish said:

The obvious next step is to just start a new force :biggrin:

Oh don't tempt me. I'm not about to drop my current army but I think these new Terminators would look great palling around with a Leviathan and I'll take any excuse to buy another Leviathan.