Anti-x keyword seems very interesting, rapid fire not being a flat double shots but a specific value instead too.

Also very nice the invul-save is just written down instead of being hidden in a wall of text

3 minutes ago, appiah4 said:

Am I the only one who finds it odd that there is no reference to squad size anywhere on the datasheet?..

Will probably be on a separate sheet together with the points like in AoS

Edited by Matrindur

It only took them two editions to use keywords to lock weapons to their preferred target type.

Interested to see tomorrow's article on factions so they can explain how it works with enhancements and detachments and all that.

Just realized it says power weapon, so seems like we are going back to generic power weapon rules. Fine by me, I don't think GW has handled this issue properly with how messy units like plague marines or sword brethren are so generic profiles will at least give some modeling freedom.

Edited by redmapa

Interesting things in this datasheet:

Power Weapons are power weapons are power weapons again, probably because people weren't using certain power weapons very much.  

Terminators are toughness 5 with a 4++ invulnerable save.....uhmmmm, wow Termies got a lot more survivable.  It makes sense and maybe we can see them take a few heavy hits now.

Chainfists get Anti-Vehicles, this would seem to indicate that vehicles are going up in toughness in some way.

Storm Shields should also be changing in some way.  There would be almost no use for Storm Shields on Terminators as the current rules stand with a 4++ inbuilt on Terminators now.

Questions:

Torrent, Blast, and Ignores Cover - keywords we know are in the new edition, what do they do.  I think that Ignores Cover, glad it is back on flame weapons, is fairly obvious, Blast is likely the same, but what is Torrent?

Why are Terminators the same Leadership as an Intercessor Squad?

Are Sergeants now just a specially armed member of the squad?

Making Rapid Fire additional X shots instead of "double shots" will help a lot of newcomers with knowing different rules interactions, like if an ability gave an additional shot, how did rapid fire interact with that.

I like how they are structuring the rules for Stratagems. Helps with making it more clear and concise, and if there's a specific question in who it targets or when it activates, it will be a lot easier to find instead of reading a paragraph.

13 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

Cor that opens a lot of questions... critical wounds, devastating wounds, specific power weapons disappearing (makes sense with accursed weapons from Chaos etc)?

In the Article Critical Wound means "A guaranteed success, normally achieved by rolling an unmodified six."

I would guess that Devastating Wounds would be generating Mortal Wounds on the Wound roll of six,  this is based on combining the old Rending rules and Mortal wounds we have seen.

I like that. Very clear for the most part. Given the reduction in ap that should be happening and the bump to a 4++ they should be pretty hardy.

The "anti-" rule sounds good. Feels like anti-tank weapons may feel like anti-tank weapons now.

Also interesting that the power fist doesn't have the hit modifier any more. 

8 hours ago, appiah4 said:

How is Terminator model scaling issues not relevant to terminator discussion?

I never said it wasn't. I'd commented that Corvus belli and kasrkin have nothing to do with the terminator discussion.

Your general tone in here is also aggressive and argumentative. I hope you are ok.

Back to the topic at hand, the new rules I wouldn't say have been simplified. You've already got deep strike plus the teleport homer's rule. 

I'll refrain until we see yet more. Regardless though the new termies do look fantastic. I'm trying to avoid wanting a new core set but the more they show...

4 minutes ago, arnesh88 said:

Making Rapid Fire additional X shots instead of "double shots" will help a lot of newcomers with knowing different rules interactions, like if an ability gave an additional shot, how did rapid fire interact with that.

Also reduces weapon types by making Dakka weapons Rapid Fire.

Yeah, I'm liking the look of this so far.

Rapid Fire going in steps of 1 additional shot, rather than doubling or whatnot, is a big improvement for granularity. Glad to see flamers ignoring cover again. Relatively low AP and damage values are promising. Anti-X is a good addition/bit of streamlining in general.

Not 100% sold on power weapons as a great choice next to power fists for this particular squad - 1 extra attack for what looks like a lot less killing power in general - but I wonder whether power fists might have that worse accuracy on other units that don't have the raw strength of terminator armour to support it.

Also thank god we're back in a place with these rules where they don't need to invent something like HunTR for "it's just a gun, it literally has no other special effects".

Edited by acrozatarim

i would've thought a Critical hit would increase damage by 1. Even knowing vehicle toughness is going to be going up, just damage 2 doesn't look like it's going to be doing much; its a max of 6 damage from a chainfist, so i don't know if it will be worth the th reduced WS from a powerfist.

Speaking of, i love that termie powerfists are finally WS 3+. that does however come at the trade off of ap -2, but i overall think its a good thing for durability purposes. i wonder which weapons, if any, would retain ap-3.

43 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

Critical Wound =  A guaranteed success, normally achieved by rolling an unmodified six.

This should be fine if the whole game is balanced around it rather than just a couple of armies having the ability.

Interesting that the wargear doesn't specify that it is the Sgt taking the Power Sword. Though I guess that is why that weapon gets an extra attack?

Will be interesting to see how they deal with the extra attack on Sgts in squads with Hammer or Lightning Claw, for example. Hopefully there will be some Keyword or Rule to designate a Sgt in the squad and that model gains +1A

2 minutes ago, phandaal said:

This should be fine if the whole game is balanced around it rather than just a couple of armies having the ability.

I think it's just tightening up mechanical terminology for clarity. You already always wound if you roll a natural 6 to wound as it is, as far as I know. This just unifies '6 always succeeds' with other effects that produce successes outside of the usual parameters.

1 minute ago, phandaal said:

If critical wounds key off the "Anti-" rule then I imagine we'll see it quite a bit across the board. Anti-vehicle maybe on things like bright lances? Anti-infantry in place of plague and poison weapon rules?