It's awesome news but also a bit Ho Hum... it's just terminators resized :laugh: nothing new really... but it is... :wacko:

Question-  When "New terminators" line up to board the ramp of a Landraider does the Loadmaster ask "First Born?"...  "Yes" ,"OK.. you can board"...  "First Born...?" No...Primaris?!?...Yes... "Ahem!! Please step to the side marine and await further instructions"... :ohmy:

M.  

2 minutes ago, Bloody Legionnaire said:

Still a weak excuse. I have yet to see anyone collect Primaris solely to have a primaris only army.

Those that have Primaris collections typically have them for the larger SM models and also out of concern if they buy non-Primaris models they won’t be able to use them one day in the future.

The new indomitus kits check both of those boxes. I’d wager there are very few people who collect SMs who are crazy about Primaris from a fluff or narrative standpoint; they just want nice looking and fittingly sized models.. the Indomitus terminators are absolutely that and then some. They will sell regardless of who is or is not in them. 

My brother is one of those Primaris fan boys. They do exist. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Smashy Pants said:

The whole thing about Firstborn going away is like Schrödinger’s Cat, or Schrödinger’s Marine if you will. Basically until GW pulls all the Firstborn Marine stuff from being available for purchase, their status is in limbo. Anyone who claims to know definitively either way may end up with egg on their face. As for which I prefer I’m not going into that as I’ve said it enough times and I don’t want to add to the fire. I will be buying a few Firstborn units I like for modeling purposes, and I can always field a post-Heresy Horus Heresy era Army or just flat out use 30k rule or an earlier edition of 40k, I remember 5th being nice, if I want to play Firstborn if they do go away. I do like a lot of the Primaris stuff, and especially lover the Outrider bikers and own quit a few.

I'm starting to think that there might actually be plans to make new Firstborn models in the future now.

I am glad that the new Terminators, according to what’s been stated above, can take ranged and melee weapons in the same squad. Back in 2nd then we’re no ‘Terminator’ and ‘ Terminator Assault’ Squads, it was just one unit. That was one of the things I found stupid moving from. Second to Third edition, I kind of just got used to it.

24 minutes ago, appiah4 said:

People are reading too much into Primaris/Firstborn. It is not that Firstborn are not going away, they are. There has not been a single FB kit to come out in years and none revealed for 10th. These are Primatis Terminators, but GW being a company want to sell them to everyone if possible. It is also a bait and switch at the same time in a way, buy these for your FB army and once they are gone your new Primatis army wont start from scratch lol..

It’s also them finally doing their do diligence and realizing that from the beginning they wrote themselves into a stupid hole with bad lore and rules stating the FB are size A and Prim are size B and that their war gear (armor, vehicles, etc..)  aren’t cross compatible.  When all the decades of lore before Primaris existed spoke of how marines were an average height of x but that marines actually came in all manner of sizes some being short and barely taller than or equal to tall humans and others being so tall they dwarfed the average marines.  And no they aren’t Primaris terminators, they are the exact same indomitus pattern terminator Armour that’s been used since the end of the crusade. It’s just truescaled to actually match the true size in the lore.  Even next to firstborn before Primaris existed terminators always needed an upscale. Same as the dreadnoughts, maybe we’ll get our FB dreadnought truescaled one day. 

2 minutes ago, Mumeishi said:

It's awesome news but also a bit Ho Hum... it's just terminators resized :laugh: nothing new really... but it is... :wacko:

Question-  When "New terminators" line up to board the ramp of a Landraider does the Loadmaster ask "First Born?"...  "Yes" ,"OK.. you can board"...  "First Born...?" No...Primaris?!?...Yes... "Ahem!! Please step to the side marine and await further instructions"... :ohmy:

M.  

One of the Lion's reforms will be a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.

3 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

I'm starting to think that there might actually be plans to make new Firstborn models in the future now.

New Firstborn would be appreciated, at least by me, and I’m pretty sure I’m not alone.

We've probably reached the stage where GW can start releasing like-for-like replacements of Firstborn kits.

We saw that with the Black Templar range that was exceptionally well done.

The trailer has teased Veterans with combi-weapons. Now we have Terminators. Let's get these Jump Marines sorted.

I still wish that they would have taken the opportunity to update the Terminator wargear. The TH/SS variants are great, but the ranged weapons are a bit underwhelming. I would have loved a squad Cyclone Missile Launchers on every model.

18 minutes ago, Bloody Legionnaire said:

Still a weak excuse. I have yet to see anyone collect Primaris solely to have a primaris only army.

Those that have Primaris collections typically have them for the larger SM models and also out of concern if they buy non-Primaris models they won’t be able to use them one day in the future.

The new indomitus kits check both of those boxes. I’d wager there are very few people who collect SMs who are crazy about Primaris from a fluff or narrative standpoint; they just want nice looking and fittingly sized models.. the Indomitus terminators are absolutely that and then some. They will sell regardless of who is or is not in them. 

I got only primaris(in terms of marine army),never really liked the look of firstborns, even when i started WH late 90s, i was a child and i was like, damn they look weird. I still collected them, and there were some models i did like, but no love for beaky helmets and etc, never been a fan. No hate either, it was mostly neutral for me, and yes i did enjoyed painting them and playing them, i just wasn't into the look as much as I'm into primaris.

When they released the primaris, i gave away all of my firstborn to friends.

For them to say that these termies can be primaris = I'm buying :no:

Edited by OpossumStrong

52 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Or the keyword goes away for everyone, and there may not be any more 1 for 1 updates of traditionally firstborn units.

not saying this is how it will be, but just a possibility.

i think this probably it, yeah. Now that Terminators are done, the only thing remaining in the Firstborn catalogue that doesn't currently have an analogue are jump pack assault and scout/initiates. And I feel like Assault Intercessors, Dante, and the BT Primaris Neophytes have showed us that the future for these things already.

Terminators were always going to be the tricky one, because they had to reconcile that this unit has one foot in the ancient history of the setting and with the fact that they're not making marines the old way anymore and that Primaris are becoming veterans and worthy of the honour.

And it does open the door for classic Terminator Heroes to make their own comeback! Arjac! Grimnar! Lysander!

Edited by Wispy

24 minutes ago, Bradeh said:

Can't believe this debate is still going, FB is pretty much dead because they are not going to release Mark VII or VIII armour again, so unless they start putting FB in Mark X... Terminators were always going to be a unique case because of their importance. 

What about Mark 9? Seems to me the Primaris range is reaching it's conclusion and eventually bringing new Firstborn will make absolute financial sense and with what they said in the stream I can imagine that time is getting closer. The axing of the Primaris keyword and other rules developments also mean they'll never be redundant.

1 minute ago, OpossumStrong said:

I got only primaris,never really liked the look of firstborns, even when i started WH late 90s, i was a child and i was like, damn they look weird. I still collected them, and there were some models i did like, but no love for beaky helmets and etc, never been a fan.

When they released the primaris, i gave away all of my firstborn to friends.

For them to say that these termies can be primaris = I'm buying :no:

So, I’m confused.. other than being larger and better proportioned these terminators resemble the old terminators… that you didn’t like the look of before? So you are only interested in buying these because it is possible for them to be Primaris and yet you still don’t like the look of the kits?

I completely agree with Your beakies statement. Honestly didn’t like the way they looked until the kit was updated with AoD. 

I think GW knows what their iconic kits are which are going to make them money.. those kits as we’ve seen with the terminators aren’t going away ever.

I also have an exclusively Primaris army in 40k.

Although I then went and bought 4k points of Horus Heresy Marines lol.

These Terminators are significant in size, they actually won't look right if used in the Heresy as they'll tower over the Cataphractii. It's starting to feel like the two games are slightly different in scaling.

1 minute ago, Bloody Legionnaire said:

So, I’m confused.. other than being larger and better proportioned these terminators resemble the old terminators… that you didn’t like the look of before? So you are only interested in buying these because it is possible for them to be Primaris and yet you still don’t like the look of the kits?

I completely agree with Your beakies statement. Honestly didn’t like the way they looked until the kit was updated with AoD. 

I think GW knows what their iconic kits are which are going to make them money.. those kits as we’ve seen with the terminators aren’t going away ever.

I love beakies. Technically the new Terminators have primaris belly armour and extra vent holes they didn't have so there's that. lol

5 minutes ago, Bloody Legionnaire said:

The look of old terminators were strange for me, because I imagined them bigger and bulkier, that's exactly what they did now, i would buy them still even if they were firstborn only, wouldn't care much, its just primaris and those new terminators are what i was thinking when i was imagining space marine/terminator.

And actually terminator were one of the models i liked, mainly because of the helmet and the hands :sweat:

Edited by OpossumStrong

1 minute ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

I love beakies. Technically the new Terminators have primaris belly armour and extra vent holes they didn't have so there's that. lol

The feet and belt resemble MkX and Gravis slightly.

Confirmed. MkX Indomitus Suits lol

1 minute ago, Orange Knight said:

I also have an exclusively Primaris army in 40k.

Although I then went and bought 4k points of Horus Heresy Marines lol.

These Terminators are significant in size, they actually won't look right if used in the Heresy as they'll tower over the Cataphractii. It's starting to feel like the two games are slightly different in scaling.

Cataphractii are quite old. You'll have to compare them to newer sculpts like the Sons of Horus and Imperial Fist Preators who they'll look just fine next to. The scaling is pretty brilliant when you start to compare the new stuff to 40k recent stuff like the beakies are bigger than humans but still slightly smaller than Chaos Marines and I think that was done on purpose in regards to the lore not beacuase of them wanting to seperate the scales of the two games cuase they clearly want us using 30k units in 40k.

23 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

They were working on redoing the line just before 8th and Primaris. We had got the new Assault and Devastator boxes I think in mid to late 2015 and then 8th was mid 2017. My guess would be we see a true scaling of the classic dreadnoughts, maybe some new scouts models, but i would not expect to see any other FB units redone. Redoing the standard tactical marines box I think would be highly unlikely, downright improbable. 

31 minutes ago, Bloody Legionnaire said:

Hi.  I only make Primaris Space Wolves. I like kitbashing the plain Primaris kits with wolfbits to make them look super wolfy. I have made my own Primaris-versions of classic first born characters rather than wait for re-releases.  All my first born Space Wolves are in foam or an entirerly different display case. 

I'm sorry you can't imagine people existing outside your own narrow perspective.

Edited by Wispy

20 minutes ago, Lord Nord said:

One of the Lion's reforms will be a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.

Was really hoping they would show us a Primaris data sheet for this reason. The rumor is the Primaris keyword goes away and all fb and Primaris can interchangeably use each others vehicles it just comes down to armor size effecting overall troop capacity. 

OK Now that I'm at a computer I can type up a longer wall of text on why I think these are both Primaris & Firstborn, and not specfic to one type..

The Space Marine list has proliferated to the point that it is too crowded with too many redundancies.  Even if you swallow the pill and accept the fact that the firstborn are only there to cater to vocal old guard who would throw a fit otherwise, there is no denying that pretty much every squad in the SM roster now has a duplicate in the form of FB/Primaris.  And it is stupid.

This has become excrutiatingly more evident with the release of Primaris Nerfinator squad's release and the immediate backlash.  Trying to reinvent the wheel can only go so far and if you push it too far you end up with square wheels.  At some point GW was going to realize this and they seem to have.

Like someone else pointed out, they needed to usher in the stubborn FB players in and do away with the FB somehow, and this box is exactly that.  By making the Terminators FB and Primaris they achieved two things:  One, they made sure they could sell this box to FB players which would not only make sure they would now have models they could use in a Primaris army but also sell them other Primaris models at the same time.  Two, stop competing within their range.

I can only imagine this design philosopy gaining strength going forward.  I wouldn't be surprised to see FB line troops being upgraded to MkX armor (MkIX even maybe?) before both lines being combined into one coherent and less confusing roster, completely doing away with anything Mk8 and earlier.

Honestly, I can't fault them for this.  Regardless, I hate the direction everything has taken in the game, in the lore and models-wise so I don't really care much either.  I hope whoever still gets a kick out of this stuff enjoys it.  To me, terminators peaked with Space Hulk :)

Edited by appiah4